Peacemaker

Greywind

It seems to be right afterwards given how the movie ended.  

Spoiler

The movie ends with the cutscene where they want to recruit him but he's still in the hospital after nearly being killed by Bloodsport.  Now in the show he seems to be working for those people.

I believe it's a series.  I enjoy this silliness because,like Deadpool, it is general kept apart from the more serious superheroing.  Doom Patrol is like this as well.  Though DP is just downright wacky, moreso than going for funny.  Of course, if Peacemaker is as brilliantly written as Doom Patrol then I will be pleasantly surprised.

It's weird.  Even when I was younger, I was a "big guy," but I've never been in the sort of shape that John Cena was at the height of his career.  In spite of his clear advantages over my physically and financially, I still find myself feeling incredibly sorry for him.  I first noticed this in that Transformers movie he was in, but the older he gets, the more he looks like my grandmother....

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

It's weird.  Even when I was younger, I was a "big guy," but I've never been in the sort of shape that John Cena was at the height of his career.  In spite of his clear advantages over my physically and financially, I still find myself feeling incredibly sorry for him.  I first noticed this in that Transformers movie he was in, but the older he gets, the more he looks like my grandmother....

Oh yeah, she wrestled in the AWA didn't she? 😜

Sounds like....nothing I want to become familiar with.  

Doing goofball is HARD.  I think you're trying scale a sheer wall in a sleet storm.  It's soooo easy to screw it up.  One aspect that is, I think, necessary, is some degree of connectivity to the character....he's gotta at least be a likable one.  This?  I didn't see *anything* to like.  Characterization tends to be greatly compressed in a series...not as much as in a movie, but still quite a bit...and doing that with a schtick like this is almost certain to mean it's overdone.

7 hours ago, csyphrett said:

When Peacemaker started out, he used to be a Reed Richards trying to make the world a better place with weird weapons, and then we got Paul Kupperberg's psychotic version, and now a goofball that shoots anybody who might get in his way but fail the mission.

CES

That was when they were trying to copy the Punisher,  now they’re copying Deadpool.

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

The Vigilante is Adrian Chase. Chase was seriously serious. From his DA times when we met him, through being the Vigilante and a judge. Right up until he offed himself.

The others were also pretty serious too. I have to agree with TJack and say they are trying to copy Deadpool, but I don't think they have a handle on some of the underlying seriousness that was going on in those movies

CES

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

That was when they were trying to copy the Punisher,  now they’re copying Deadpool.

Peacemaker first appeared in 1966, and at that time was pretty much the opposite of the Punisher (1974) in every way. He was originally published by Charlton Comics, not DC.

The Comedian in Watchmen was partly based on him, although there was little in common between them after the other influences kicked in.

1 hour ago, assault said:

Peacemaker first appeared in 1966, and at that time was pretty much the opposite of the Punisher (1974) in every way. He was originally published by Charlton Comics, not DC.

The Comedian in Watchmen was partly based on him, although there was little in common between them after the other influences kicked in.

I think he was talking about Kupperberg's version who wound up blowing himself up

CES

3 hours ago, assault said:

cysprhett is correct.  That is what I meant. Kupperberg’s version was a complete 180 degree turnaround from the original.  But this was during the “grim & gritty” phase comics went into after the successes of Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.   Peacemaker was used as a template for the Comedian so DC thought to make Peacemaker into a Comedian expy.   It didn’t work.