2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Now that the Bills are out, our house doesn't have any real love for the remaining teams. No real hatred either, though. 

Mom was a '9ers fan back in the day, and Brock Purdy is a great story, so she's probably leaning that way. 

I like the Bengals a bit more than the Chefs.

Eagles are just a no. (But not a hard no like some other teams.) 

8 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

Elijah Mitchell tried to return the favor by running for a 1st down and going out of bounds instead of just dropping to the ground in bounds. It ended up not mattering, but still, that's the kind of mental error that won't play well against tougher opponents.

True, but players make the "oh I have to get every yard I can on every play!!!" mistake ALL the time.  I also thought he wasn't entirely under control as he was getting the base yardage.

The Cowboys set up for that punt lackadaisically.  

And go back to when they got the ball back.  First play?  WIthin a whisker of a safety.  Also burned 7 seconds, IIRC, which under the circumstances is time you can't afford.  Receiver coming back instead of moving forward...so he's ruled down at the forward progress point and the clock runs.  The total PANIC on that...whatever the play was, presumably a pitchy pitchy woo woo of some type?  Dak just tosses it harmlessly to a receiver who happened to be in the center of the field.  There's one other player nearby...an offensive lineman who's not even thinking about the ball.

Zeke gets pulverized but what do you expect?

I'll excuse...with a lecture...a player striving for yards.  There's no excuses for bonehead play.  Hey, we slid Hackett under a blazing broiler for his stupid moves.  McCarthy is supposed to be experienced, yet...........

21 hours ago, Old Man said:

I know what’s throwing me off. It’s like the teams switched O-lines. 

I think what they did was replace the 3 with pure run blockers...and it worked.

Purdy outplayed Prescott - I remember when everything was Romo's fault and Dallas fans couldn't wait to get rid of him for Prescott.

As to SF next season, it will be hard for them to shift off Lance as his injury meant he didnt get to really showcase himself so trading him may not be an option and they gave up a lot of capital to get him, but if Purdy gets them to the Super Bowl and Lance comes out next season and looks bad fans will be calling for him.

Eagles looked good and as soon as they got that lead, if I were head coach, I would have told Hurts to go sit on the bench and padded him with foam rubber, because they go as he goes. I think 49ers beat them, actually, more complete team, but should be good.

Bengals are playing like a team that went to the superbowl last season and everyone said was a fluke and look how good these other teams are. 

Mahomes getting hurt is a game changer, changed that game but Jags couldn't take advantage. The look on Lawrence's face when the receiver dropped that ball inside the 5 for a fumble said everything.

10 minutes ago, slikmar said:

As to SF next season, it will be hard for them to shift off Lance as his injury meant he didnt get to really showcase himself so trading him may not be an option and they gave up a lot of capital to get him, but if Purdy gets them to the Super Bowl and Lance comes out next season and looks bad fans will be calling for him.

Who knows? The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles and immediately traded him. 

10 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Mahomes getting hurt is a game changer, changed that game but Jags couldn't take advantage. The look on Lawrence's face when the receiver dropped that ball inside the 5 for a fumble said everything.

The KC defense beat us. That wasn't supposed to happen. Oh well, we've got some momentum heading into next season. 

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Hmmm....anyone heard from Mahomes brother recently?

Do  not invoke his name, image, or likeness. I'd rather have you say "Beetlejuice" three times. 

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Are there any teams left that are really obnoxious/problematic that I need to grit my teeth in disgust if they win?

I'm not sure about 'disgust', but I'd probably grit my teeth in annoyance at Philadelphia. I know they'd do the same for us. 

And while I am by no means a Chiefs fan, Andy Reid is a branch on the coaching tree of my favorite college coach (LaVell Edwards), so I'm okay with him winning another Super Bowl. Reid also just became the only head coach in NFL history to win ten playoff games each with two different franchises. 

I would love to see the Bengals finally win one. I know their fans would appreciate it as much as I did when Denver finally won their first. 

And given a choice between San Francisco and Philly, I'll take San Francisco. The only reason I was cheering for Philly was because they were playing against Tom Brady.

More on Americans and non-metric units, NFL version:

... If Hebert is worth 3 1/2 games and Tannehill is worth 1 and 1/2 and Joe Flacco is worth about 0 and we use the "Tannehill" [as a unit] does that mean Herbert is worth $60 mil a season? Or should we be using the "Flacco" who signed a $3.5 mil 1 year deal with the Jets and therefore Tannehill is worth about 1.5 "Flaccos" and should be making about $5.25?

Flacco's worth is in the negatives, tho.  

And what's the scale on the units?  Sound intensity is in bels (a decibel is 1/10th of a bel) which is a logarithmic scale;  so is the Richter scale for earthquakes.  

Besides, we all know that there's no rational measure applied to athletic contracts...especially QB contracts.

Oh my.  Note the poster here.  Either there's some things going on behind the scenes, or some social media intern is no longer with the team....

Dak Prescott gave away the ball twice in the narrow loss to the 49ers, in a matchup the Cowboys had a chance to win if they didn’t again generate self-inflicted wounds.#DALvsSF | #DallasCowboys

— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) January 23, 2023

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Flacco's worth is in the negatives, tho.  

And what's the scale on the units?  Sound intensity is in bels (a decibel is 1/10th of a bel) which is a logarithmic scale;  so is the Richter scale for earthquakes.  

Besides, we all know that there's no rational measure applied to athletic contracts...especially QB contracts.

I presented all the quantitative information provided in the proposal, which had me musing about the system of units, and it seems quite possible that the scale is logarithmic or at least nonlinear, perhaps like diopters which are inverse meters.  Referring then to other silly units put forth around here, are giraffes logarithmic?  Are wombats antilogarithmic?  Is Log giraffic?  I think we can be confident that Old Man represents a unit in some power law, and I'm the one who suggested that the SI unit of torque should be dubbed the monkee.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

I presented all the quantitative information provided in the proposal, which had me musing about the system of units, and it seems quite possible that the scale is logarithmic or at least nonlinear, perhaps like diopters which are inverse meters.  Referring then to other silly units put forth around here, are giraffes logarithmic?  Are wombats antilogarithmic?  Is Log giraffic?  I think we can be confident that Old Man represents a unit in some power law, and I'm the one who suggested that the SI unit of torque should be dubbed the monkee.

You have given me much to think about here, professor.

Which is fine. I didn't need my sanity today anyway.

Twenty-five years ago today, the Denver Broncos finally won a Super Bowl. Entering the game as double digit underdogs, they defeated the Green Bay Packers 31-24. Perhaps the most memorable play of the game was John Elway leaping for a first down and getting spun around as he was hit by three defenders, a play that has come to be known as The Helicopter. The Broncos would go on to beat former head coach Dan Reeves and the Atlanta Falcons in the next Super Bowl, after which John Elway would retire.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Twenty-five years ago today, the Denver Broncos finally won a Super Bowl. Entering the game as double digit underdogs, they defeated the Green Bay Packers 31-24. Perhaps the most memorable play of the game was John Elway leaping for a first down and getting spun around as he was hit by three defenders, a play that has come to be known as The Helicopter. The Broncos would go on to beat former head coach Dan Reeves and the Atlanta Falcons in the next Super Bowl, after which John Elway would retire.

...at which point Elway seemingly forgot everything he knew about quarterbacks and what they do.  :)