Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

The most impressive aurora I've ever seen was back in '95. It was towards the end of my time as a conscript, November, on a maneuver out in the backend of nowhere. We were playing opfor to some ranger types, so we didn't have much to do apart from looking lively. Nighttime in the fall, no lights around, sitting in a guard post, with this lightshow going on for hours all over the sky -- it was all jolly impressive.

Switzerland have won the Eurovison song contest. Croatia who were the bookies favourite came second. Ukraine got a big sympathy vote and came third but Israel also did well despite protests against them outside the arena and from some of the acts. Britain came 18th. They got 0 from the public vote which was more than a little bit savage.

Ireland were in the final for the first time since 2018 and were in the top 10.

Two records set on Mount Everest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/articles/cxe99nd14l2o

Slovak PM fighting for life after assassination attempt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cg6761ggxz1o

I am surprised no-one posted this one

Two French police officers killed as prisoner 'rescued' by his gang

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-69013194

3 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Maybe my mistrust is misguided, but this is why I don't patronize things like DoorDash, Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, and the like.  If I have to deal with people I don't know, I want a certain level of regulation in place. I want someone who works for someone I can actually talk to if things get hinky.

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Maybe my mistrust is misguided, but this is why I don't patronize things like DoorDash, Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, and the like.  If I have to deal with people I don't know, I want a certain level of regulation in place. I want someone who works for someone I can actually talk to if things get hinky.

I'm astonished that anyone uses those services tbh.  Food is already expensive enough, then you add the delivery fee on top of that and the mandatory tip on top of that, all so you can get lukewarm food in more time than it would have taken you to go out and get it yourself.  If you get it at all.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I'm astonished that anyone uses those services tbh.  Food is already expensive enough, then you add the delivery fee on top of that and the mandatory tip on top of that, all so you can get lukewarm food in more time than it would have taken you to go out and get it yourself.  If you get it at all.

if you don't tip, you won't get it. We have had nontipping food wait for Doordash an hour, but tipped food go almost before we can make it.

CES 

1 hour ago, wcw43921 said:

Or on a somewhat more serious note, it could be a step towards successfully freezing people to be revived later on.  Suspended Animation could be a real thing.

The story talks about brain tissue...small lumps cultivated for the purpose.  The key is small.  The problem with freezing is ice, specifically ice crystals.  Ice is bad because ice expands slightly...and that is so, so, so not good.  The trick to avoid ice is drop the temperature too fast for the crystals to form.  Obviously, the larger and warmer the object, the trickier this is.  Human bodies are both fairly large and contain quite a bit of heat.  Essentially, it's the flip side of how one cooks, say, a 10 pound roast, where the challenge is to get the center to the desired temp without turning the outer lay into shoe leather.  And note that a fundamental practice for any large meat dish is make sure it's at room temperature before putting it into the oven.  By contrast?  The human-sized meat slab *can't* be cooled down in advance.