Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Back in the 1990s there was a TV edition which had David McCallum as Professor Plum. A different guest star each week was bumped off and you had to work out which one of the people did it.

Tom Baker also was in it for one season as it ran for four years.

12 minutes ago, Pariah said:

If it doesn't have Tim Curry and three different endings, I'm not interested.

The new 4K disc release from Shout Factory gives you a choice between the three ending version, or a single random ending, like how it was originally released to theaters.

Talk about an amazing experience...

You're Darwin Blanch.  You're 16.  You're a pretty good tennis player...for 16, you're REALLY good.  Junior Davis Cup.  The Madrid Open, an ATP 1000 event, the top level just below the Slams, gives you a wild card, most likely at the behest of USA Tennis, cuz you're not in the top 1000.  (Just outside of it.)  Which means you couldn't get in ANY other way, cuz you'd need a wild card to get into qualifying.

Cool, right?  Even losing should double his total points, and move him inside the top 1000.  

And your opponent?

Rafa Nadal.  Oh lordy....oh my gosh.  Nadal had 3 Slams under his belt *before you were born*.  It's Madrid...Rafa's #2 tournament.  (Barcelona is his home event.)  It's Rafa's 20th Madrid, an event he's won 5 times.  It's likely Rafa's LAST Madrid, given his health.  Storyline has been that he chose to play Barcelona (lost 2nd round) and Madrid...when he said, he wouldn't have played Roland Garros.  And this is after not playing at all in '23 after the Aussie Open, and barely anything in '24.

The place is utterly packed, and Rafa owns it.

Still gonna be the coolest thing a 16 year old kid experiences for YEARS...possibly ever.  

EDIT:  unfortunately the kid was rattled and never got his game together.  15 unforced errors in the first set alone.  6-1, 6-0.

On 4/25/2024 at 1:40 AM, Pariah said:

There's a Young Sheldon spin-off?

Isn't Young Sheldon a spin-off itself?

Yes, the Young Sheldon spin-off is just called Sheldon, with Jim Parsons reviving his role/character of Sheldon Cooper. ( :D ) 

The US has a Strategic Petroleum Reserve. Canada has a Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve. Update about the latter: Lowest it's been in 16 years, but not yet cause for panic. Well, I hope not. The sap must flow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68657703

The Economist also has an article about the subject, but it's not yet available in full to non-subscribers.

Dean Shomshak

WASHINGTON ZEBRA CRISIS -- DAY THREE!

Hunt for zebra that escaped its trailer and went on the run (msn.com)

(Reports differ as to whether the man who captured two of the zebras was a rodeo bullfighter or a rodeo clown. He could be both, I suppose.)

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak

A man became unruly and abusive on a transatlantic flight from Heathrow to Newark...to such a degree that, even after being restrained, the plane landed in Bangor, Maine to have the offensive passenger (and his girlfriend, the target of the abuse) removed from the plane.  it then continued on to Newark.

The man pled guilty, and apologized in court.  He didn't get any additional jail time...he'd been in holding for about a month, and as he lives in England, that's another level of hardship...but was ordered to pay $20,638 in restitution.  Both passengers have also been banned from flying United.  And his name and felony guilty verdict are now public record.  That's probably going to bite him hard too.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

A man became unruly and abusive on a transatlantic flight from Heathrow to Newark...to such a degree that, even after being restrained, the plane landed in Bangor, Maine to have the offensive passenger (and his girlfriend, the target of the abuse) removed from the plane.  it then continued on to Newark.

The man pled guilty, and apologized in court.  He didn't get any additional jail time...he'd been in holding for about a month, and as he lives in England, that's another level of hardship...but was ordered to pay $20,638 in restitution.  Both passengers have also been banned from flying United.  And his name and felony guilty verdict are now public record.  That's probably going to bite him hard too.

Bangor's airport used to be Dow Air Force Base before being converted to commercial use. There's a bunch of space for isolating planes, so it's frequently used in situations like this.

When Mom was still alive, I used to fly in and out of BGR about once a year. Their airport coffee shop has some of the best food, with very reasonable prices. Breakfast there is always good, as is the bacon cheeseburger and fries. 

43 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Bangor's airport used to be Dow Air Force Base before being converted to commercial use. There's a bunch of space for isolating planes, so it's frequently used in situations like this.

When Mom was still alive, I used to fly in and out of BGR about once a year. Their airport coffee shop has some of the best food, with very reasonable prices. Breakfast there is always good, as is the bacon cheeseburger and fries. 

Makes sense, plus, it's the first available airport in US territory.

Good food and reasonable prices?  That MUST be a low-traffic airport!  Not enough traffic to monetize it.

25 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Makes sense, plus, it's the first available airport in US territory.

Good food and reasonable prices?  That MUST be a low-traffic airport!  Not enough traffic to monetize it.

I think that there's only five or six gates, and maybe only 4 with jetways (you sometimes have to walk across the tarmac). The entire airport building's layout would fit into the security screening area for the D concourse at McCarran Harry Reid International Airport here in Las Vegas. 

It's serviced mostly by small commuter jets with 2 seats on each side of the aisle. I'm 6'2", and I quickly learned to book aisle seats, as I really didn't fit in the window seat. Delta had the better seat pitch, and I'd usually spring for economy plus for a bit of extra legroom.

2 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Too close to Stephen King.

When my Mom first read The Dead Zone, she cracked up at the main character having dinner at a restaurant called The Silent Woman. Turns out, that's where she and my Dad had their wedding dinner. The sign outside was of a headless woman holding a serving tray of food.