Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

My Dad has celiac disease and buys quite a bit of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free products. I've had them, and they taste like actual food—not always the case with gluten-free stuff. 

RIP, Bob. 

One reason I posted it, is that I’ve been reading on Distributism and this story entails, in part, what it is about: to distribute means of production (and capital) to the many, not the few. 

Does anyone, anywhere, still take seriously the rule about not ending a sentence with a preposition? Merriam-Webster officially declares it to be bunk.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/01/1235354975/prepositions-are-permissible-now-will-english-language-be-ok

Plus, the wit of Winston Churchill, and host Ari Shapiro speed-recites all the English prepositions in alphabetical order.

Dean Shomshak

Alzheimer's Might Not Actually Be a Brain Disease, Expert Reveals

For years, scientists have been focused on trying to come up with new treatments for Alzheimer's by preventing the formation of brain-damaging clumps of this mysterious protein called beta-amyloid.

In fact, we scientists have arguably got ourselves into a bit of an intellectual rut concentrating almost exclusively on this approach, often neglecting or even ignoring other possible explanations.

Regrettably, this dedication to studying the abnormal protein clumps has not translated into a useful drug or therapy. The need for a new "out-of-the-clump" way of thinking about Alzheimer's is emerging as a top priority in brain science.

My laboratory at the Krembil Brain Institute, part of the University Health Network in Toronto, is devising a new theory of Alzheimer's disease.

Based on our past 30 years of research, we no longer think of Alzheimer's as primarily a disease of the brain. Rather, we believe that Alzheimer's is principally a disorder of the immune system within the brain.

The immune system, found in every organ in the body, is a collection of cells and molecules that work in harmony to help repair injuries and protect from foreign invaders.

When a person trips and falls, the immune system helps to mend the damaged tissues. When someone experiences a viral or bacterial infection, the immune system helps in the fight against these microbial invaders.

The exact same processes are present in the brain. When there is head trauma, the brain's immune system kicks into gear to help repair. When bacteria are present in the brain, the immune system is there to fight back.

We believe that beta-amyloid is not an abnormally produced protein, but rather is a normally occurring molecule that is part of the brain's immune system. It is supposed to be there.

When brain trauma occurs or when bacteria are present in the brain, beta-amyloid is a key contributor to the brain's comprehensive immune response. And this is where the problem begins.

Because of striking similarities between the fat molecules that make up both the membranes of bacteria and the membranes of brain cells, beta-amyloid cannot tell the difference between invading bacteria and host brain cells, and mistakenly attacks the very brain cells it is supposed to be protecting.

This leads to a chronic, progressive loss of brain cell function, which ultimately culminates in dementia – all because our body's immune system cannot differentiate between bacteria and brain cells.

When regarded as a misdirected attack by the brain's immune system on the very organ it is supposed to be defending, Alzheimer's disease emerges as an autoimmune disease.

I could definitely see Piglet as a serial killer.  Pooh Bear no way, but it would take just a little nudge in the right direction to turn Piglet to the dark side.

Edited by Starlord

I had a Roku TV...for a very short time.  Didn't like it;  the app was, IIRC, very poor.  Then I think the power supply failed.  Not worth replacing.

Then this?  Yeah, this is getting reported by many tech media outlets.  It's all but blackmail...changing the fundamental terms after the fact, and making my device unusable unless I accept them?  Feh!  Forget it.  Roku, you're out.