A minor tactical error...OMG it's HOT out there...

unclevlad

6 o'clock.

Oh, mail's in.  Amazon package.  Yeah, lemme grab it...nothing overwhelming but useful....

<opens front door>  OK, not there...

<gets shades, steps into the sun>

what the heck am i doing out here.........................

To quote Margaret Hamilton....."I'm MELTINNNNGGGGG................."

(Just gotta get used to it)

We all get it in the end

We go down and we come up again

You irritate me my friend

(This is no social crisis)

This is you having fun

(No crisis)

Getting burned by the sun

(This is true)

This is no social crisis

Just another tricky day for you

31 minutes ago, Sundog said:

Get solar panels. Dropped our power bills from around 1000AUD to about 200AUD over summer.

That's something that I've been considering, along with upgrading the central air unit, and replacing the windows with more energy-efficient ones. None of that will be this year, however.

Solar panels help immensely.  The best decision I ever made.

10:30 PM here...trash pickup is tomorrow.  Lessee...eh, ok, break down a couple boxes, there's enough.

And it's sweltering.  Checking...yep.

10:30 and 90 degrees.

I've been in Tucson in August...Phoenix in June.  Yuma in June or July...on an army base.  Day started at 6:30, ended at, IIRC, 2 or 3.  It was simply impossibly hot for outdoor, safe, physical activity.  We just get hot...*rarely* top 105, I'd say.  104 was apparently a record for the date.  Yeah, I can't see Arizona.  115 is just too much.  

The worst surprise was the northern part of the Central Valley one summer.  Redding, Red Bluff, up that way.  110 for about a week...and for the week or so before that, but that was before I arrived.  The geography just turns it into a heat trap.

Could be worse.  1700 deaths attributed to the heat in Spain and Portugal.  Fires in France...presumably everything drying out from the heat, making fires easier to start and allowing them to spread a lot more.  This even became part of the Tour de France reporting on...Sunday, IIRC.  And good gosh...forecast for 104 in England...???  

So here in the Pacific Northwest, we're going through a long La Nina, which for us means cool and rainy weather. It might have finally broken (we have "normal" summer heat warnings for the weekend), but it has been a very overcast, cool, rainy spring and summer so far. 

I know, I know, #humblebrag. The thing is, having settled into a low-stress, regular shift at work managing the produce wet rack, I get to talk to customers about fresh produce shortages a lot. And several times a day, I get to share the factoid, which may have been heard around here a few times, that we don't have corn-on-the-cob, and that the reason that we don't is, that our buyers haven't been able to source saleable quality green corn anywhere on the continent, and we won't have any in our logistics chain before August. 

THAT'S A CONTINENT-WIDE CROP FAILURE. (I thought I'd fiddle with adding some emphasis, because I kind of think it's a important thing for people to know about. You know, in case it  happens again. Food is still important to everyone, right?)

4 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

THAT'S A CONTINENT-WIDE CROP FAILURE. (I thought I'd fiddle with adding some emphasis, because I kind of think it's a important thing for people to know about. You know, in case it  happens again. Food is still important to everyone, right?)

One of the drivers of our current inflation issues is the conjunction of drought and heat in the U.S., drought and flooding in China, heat in Europe, and land wars in Asia.  Wheat, corn, and rice are all in short supply, and lots of food is made of wheat, corn, and rice.  Including meat and chicken.

And this is how the climate crisis plays out.  Extreme weather kills crops, food shortages drive up prices, economies suffer, poor people starve, food riots, Texas secedes, autoduelling.  We are on step 3.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

True, but will it be worth it when Republican-controlled Arizona decides it wants all the water in the Colorado River for itself?

California blitzes them...?

Because they use about twice the water from the Colorado that Arizona does.  And have, what, 5x the population.

The Arizona cities have at least started to recognize the issue, tho.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/phoenix-area-cities-enacting-measures-to-help-conserve-water-amid-drought-heres-what-you-need-to-know

It almost certainly won't be enough.  The more painful restrictions are probably not more than a few years away.  Gotta say:  I wouldn't want to be in the lawn business in Nevada or Arizona, and I suspect golfers will be getting squeezed *hard* sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Aren't the golfers at those country clubs? Where the rich people who make public policy hang out? I expect those will be green long after individual lawns have dried up into a dust bowl.

There are exceptions for businesses. Fountains have been banned for several years here in Las Vegas if you are a private citizen.

3 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Aren't the golfers at those country clubs? Where the rich people who make public policy hang out? I expect those will be green long after individual lawns have dried up into a dust bowl.

The private courses won't be hit first...the public courses will be.  Why not both?  Shutting down the public courses is strictly municipal policy.  There are no direct businesses being shut down...indirect, yes.  There is no direct loss of property value.  If you shut down a private club, both happen, and the private club has plenty of justification to demand why.

Muni courses may be...who knows, 7-10 years away from being shut down, as things are going?  Private courses might be only 5-7 years behind that...but that's because shutting down the muni courses will already show the severity of the problem.

I also wonder if the Bellagio fountains will be restricted at first.  Checking...M-F, its every 30 minutes between 3 and 8 PM, then every 15 minutes between 8 and midnight.  Perhaps shorten that to...4:30-midnight, every half hour?  Weekends it's every half hour between noon and 8, with the same evening schedule.  Maybe noon, 1, 2, 3, 4, then every half hour.  There's definitely evaporation losses to consider...you can absolutely feel the moisture in the air around the show.  But they're worst in the bright sun and highest heat of midday.  Again:  it's much more likely at first to reduce it, since it's a major Vegas draw, and reduce it when it'll do the most good, than shut it down.

The Bellagio fountains are using contaminated water from a shallow underground aquifer that used to feed the Dunes Country Club. The water is processed to remove contaminants before being put in the "lake". Given how much of the Strip is controlled by MGM Resorts, I can't see the fountains going away any time soon.