Super Powers in Hudson City

Citizen Keen

Re: Super Powers in Hudson City

Probably because it was less flashy in terms of crime and if you aren't the dark brooding type (Batman) you might miss it.

Also I got the impression that Hudson was close enough to a big city which did get the highly visual crime that the Superheroes went there to fight crime and not Hudson City. You can only be in so many places at once.

Oh and you do have the Card Shark to discourage heroes/villains and The Harbinger to discourage just about everybody.

Personally, I'm just thinking that some super-powerful artifact was constructed during the Turakian Age to psychologically repel those with magic powers (which translates to "superpowers" during the Age of Superheroes), and buried deep in the ground during the Cataclysm at the exact spot where Hudson City now stands.

The simple answer is that the superheroes have crime enough to handle in their own cities without going to fight it elsewhere. After all with thier arch enemies and VIPER Nests, ARGENT bases and DEMONhames they probably have thier hands full keeping whatever city they're living in safe from crime. Also, Hudson City's crime problem isn't something simple that they can solve in one trip, it's an ongoing problem that would require a constant presence to do anything about. The heroes can't be expected to abandon thier own cities, which also have crime problems, in order to help another.

The simple answer is that the superheroes have crime enough to handle in their own cities without going to fight it elsewhere. After all with thier arch enemies and VIPER Nests' date=' ARGENT bases and DEMONhames they probably have thier hands full keeping whatever city they're living in safe from crime. Also, Hudson City's crime problem isn't something simple that they can solve in one trip, it's an ongoing problem that would require a constant presence to do anything about. The heroes can't be expected to abandon thier own cities, which also have crime problems, in order to help another.[/quote']

Granted, but in theory, given the numbers of supers per capita in other cities in the official HERO metaverse at the same time period, there'd need to be some explanation for why none would show up in Hudson City. (Or maybe they would, I just get the impression that Champions=Millenium City, and Dark Champions=Hudson City.)

I understand that "Steve told us not to" is the real world reason, and it makes sense - there needs to be a setting for both Superman, and for Batman.

And I like Bob's idea, it makes sense.

But from everything in FRed and FH about internal consistency, I was just curious to know what Steve's in-game reason behind it was.

Here's my theory:

The supervillains stay away because the Hamdinger of Justice is likely to shoot them in the head instead of just putting them in jail.

The superheroes go where the supervillains are. Otherwise they get bored. Er, I mean, otherwise nobody will be there to stop the supervillains.

So they both leave Hudson for the 'street level' guys.

J

Here's my theory:

The supervillains stay away because the Hamdinger of Justice is likely to shoot them in the head instead of just putting them in jail.

The superheroes go where the supervillains are. Otherwise they get bored. Er, I mean, otherwise nobody will be there to stop the supervillains.

So they both leave Hudson for the 'street level' guys.

J

Nice theroy. Now hear is MINE (Disclamer Alert: This is my madness. It will not nesasary reflect your madness.)

Basicly, there ARE supers in Hudson City, but not in the way you THINK thay are. There is always going to be a mutant or two in anything but the smalest hick town. It is just that most mutants eather a) don't have the flashie powers to justfie dressing up like eveyday is Haloween, B) don't have the modivation to justfie dressing up like eveyday is Haloween, or c) acualy did dress up like eveyday is Haloween, and are now dead/locked up in the cookoo house.

This leaves the rest of the citizens of Hudson City, who are normal law abiding citizens. And, of course, the costumed crook and sniper vigalanties.

Of course, the Card Sharks have a few low level mutants on there side. Also, so do RAVEN (along with some hi-tech nasties like my own Dark Capercorn, who I might be convinced to shair with the world).

If you need a in game reasion, asume that in the city there is some sort of supermage who is keeping the 'mana level' down in the area in order to hide himself. Why? Well, if he let the mana level run high, then his/her/it's enimies can easly find him and destroy him/her/it.

If that dosen't help, just say "Earth DarkC" is the Dark Champions Earth, while "Earth C" is the Champions Earth. And neather the two will normaly come together, unless you say "Secret Crises".

Steriaca.

Granted, but in theory, given the numbers of supers per capita in other cities in the official HERO metaverse at the same time period, there'd need to be some explanation for why none would show up in Hudson City. (Or maybe they would, I just get the impression that Champions=Millenium City, and Dark Champions=Hudson City.)

I understand that "Steve told us not to" is the real world reason, and it makes sense - there needs to be a setting for both Superman, and for Batman.

And I like Bob's idea, it makes sense.

But from everything in FRed and FH about internal consistency, I was just curious to know what Steve's in-game reason behind it was.

Or the supers in Hudson City just aren't as flashy as the ones in other cities. Having been living in Hudson City, possibly born and raised there, they're quite familiar with the violence of the city and how deadly it can be. Thus they tend to be sneakier, especially since the Mob and many other criminal orginizations are still strong there, so they need to be even sneakier then the Champions or the Sentinels to keep thier family protected. Just a thought. :)

Personally ... if Hudson City exists in the CU ... I see it as Gotham ... there's a balance there and if you put in a major superhero, there'll be a major villain that'll also take interest. The current defender, whether it's Harbinger or someone else, tries to keep metas out due to already having his hands full ;)

Hudson City is big. It's entirely possible that there are high-profile supers based there. They just don't spend much time working the streets.

After all, Card Shark is a minor problem, compared to DEMON or Dr Destroyer.

In other words, there is room in Gotham City for both Batman and Green Lantern. Similarly, there is room in New York City for Daredevil and Spiderman, as well as the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

In addition, the kind of crime that is associated with economic depression and official corruption isn't necessarily able to be dealt with by "fly in and punch someone" techniques.

I was thinking today about the kind of supers that would be appropriate to Hudson City. The (original) JSA or Infinity Inc would be perfect. Both these teams have lots of non-powered or minimally powered characters who would be just perfect for this setting. And some of the powerful ones would be appropriate too. Just imagine the Spectre hitting the streets during one of his lower-powered periods...

Actually it would be a perfect setting for games with a Golden Age feel, with heroes fighting gangsters and mad scientists rather than supervillain teams. I've considered using it like that in the past.

I like the idea of some kind of old artifact keeping supers away somehow. OTOH, I also like the idea of there being actual superhumans in Hudson City, its just that they tend to be much less flashy.

Perhaps combine the two, in the form of a "Mana Invisibility" effect, that renders the mana level and its effects less "noticeable"??

• 3 years later...

It's a genre issue, pure and simple, to me. Hudson City is the Dark Champions city, Vibora Bay is the Mystic Champions city, Millenium City is the Super Champions city. They just don't interact except in rare 'crossovers'.

The fact that the 5e Dark Champions is a no-power-zone is one of the reasons I never picked it up (besides the whole 'I like CvKs').

If crime is so bad in Hudson City' date=' why don't some superheroes go stomp it out? [/quote']

Because Hudson City makes them feel all funny inside. Genre-sickness.

(Needless to say I kept my Hudson City in a comfortably parallel universe instead of trying to force it into the Champions universe.)

Because Hudson City makes them feel all funny inside. Genre-sickness.

(Needless to say I kept my Hudson City in a comfortably parallel universe instead of trying to force it into the Champions universe.)

"Alright, Captain Silver Age....be brave, can you show us WHERE the setting touched you that you knew didn't feel right?"

I actually use Hudson City as my main campaign city for pretty much all the genres (Pulp, Modern, Supers, Dark Champs, Teen Champs, Mystical and so on). I usually think of Hudson City as Gotham/New York (gritty) and Millenium City filling the Metropolis/New York (spiffy) slot.

But in the Hero Games Universe I fully understand the need to split the product lines. I just think that Hudson City is a much better (more details available but still written so you can ignore what you don't like) product. If Millenium City was written at the same level of detail I would definitely use it more.

If crime is so bad in Hudson City' date=' why don't some superheroes go stomp it out? And if some superheroes aren't stamping out crime, why don't supervillains go to town on this ripe piece of fruit?[/quote']

Because Andreas Panthanatos kills them for sport when they do.

A less facetious answer would be that there are low powered superheroes in Huson city, Scarlett, Hawksure, and Heavyhitter, detailed in Dark Champions: the animated series. They're not part of the official setting, but if your going to use Hudson in a superhero campaign, you're probably best off using them for inspiration if nothing else.

DC: TAS also has several supervillains to use who fit the setting.

If crime is so bad in Hudson City' date=' why don't some superheroes go stomp it out? And if some superheroes aren't stamping out crime, why don't supervillains go to town on this ripe piece of fruit?[/quote']

How about if we reword these two questions slightly?

If crime is so bad in Gotham City, why don't some superheroes, such as the JLA, go stop it out? And if some superheroes aren't stamping out crime, why don't supervillains go to town on this ripe piece of fruit?

The only answer which can be given to these two questions is: genre. The genre does not allow for change. Metropolis is what it is for a story reason. Gotham is what it is for a story reason. The same goes for Millennium City, Vibora Bay, and Hudson City.

Superheroes do not make changes to their environments. They use the environments as springboards for stories which are action packed but generally have little consequence. The action within the individual story is what is important. Superheroes do not make changes.

I still agree with my initial response, even though it was years ago.

Overall, of the published CU cities, Hudson City would be the one I would be most likely to use in a superheroic campaign. Vibora Bay is too small, and Millenium City is too... odd. I could see myself using both of them for short periods, or for spinoff campaigns. I suspect MC could be tweaked into a neat retro-future setting for a LSH style game though.

Hudson City is the closest to a standard Big City feel. I'd scrap most of the rather dull Dark Champions "supervillains", replace them with villains from DC:TAS and Champions, and just go from there.

I've never liked placing Hudson City in the same "continuity" as the rest of the Champions Universe, particularly not without a explanation as too why there are no "superheroes" in Hudson City. Even if superheroes were rare no one has "had an origin" there and hung around? It works in a comic (maybe) but rpgs do invite more thought and player suspension of disbelief can be more fragile. And it does seem like Viper and other organizations with hordes of agents and supertech would be eager to have essentially free reign in a major US city (Viper or some other group in a "gang war" with the current underworld power structure could make a very cool Steetlevel/Dark Champions scenario though...)

But I've always been pretty against attempting to tie all the game lines together into one timeline instead of calling them different "parallel universes" or whatever.

Hudson City: Urban Abyss is a wonderful book though and the city has many uses in and outside of the Champions timeline.

Hudson City IS the starting point for my Super HERO's superpowers game and here is why.

1) I want the players to understand just how powerful their characters are compared to real crime thugs.

2) I want the players to explore the more detective aspects of a game setting. I think some of Hudson City + C.S.I. episodes can make for an interesting twist when super powers are involved.

3) One of the aspects of the game I'm running is What happens when a sudden change of atmosphere, an escalation of force, occurs between rival mafia crime families when supers get personally involved. What happens when the supers take over the mob. (What if Tony Soprano was a super villain of sorts with super powers?) What happens when the mafia families use both advanced alien technology and super powers to fully take over a city then a nation then the world.

4) What happens when the B.M.K. gets in over his head, (is that possible?) on both sides and requests the P.C.s help to deal with the supers he ran into?

That is the game I'm currently running right now. So far it's been a huge success the past 5 weeks.

1) I want the players to understand just how powerful their characters are compared to real crime thugs.
This is a valuable lesson. We usually run some sort of agent/mook stomp at least once a year just to remind the players how awesome their characters are compared to normals. Even soldiers and cops don't come off very well compared to typical 350+ point supers. Besides, smashing ridiculous numbers of agents in a wild brawl is a lot of fun. :D