The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

And he's still just the apprentice!

Hell, no! I should think I'm at least a journeyman by now.

Edit: This "you need to wait x more seconds before posting again" nonsense needs to stop.

Hint on dealing with this: Don't hit post a second time; it will result in a double-post. Click on the thread title. The thread will refresh itself, and your post will appear at the end.

Chad: Oh man' date=' I'm just rent over these grade school killings, I hate reading the news, it's inescapable we just have circular arguments and nothing gets done...screw America this morning, I'll go see what's going on in the rest of the world.

:nonp:

Kill me now.

Edit: The link (rest of the world text) is pretty frickin' depressing. Follow at your own risk.

I am the last person on Earth who should be trying to blow sunshine up anyone's ass, but here goes: Things are improving. What happened to the girl in the link, that's horrific--but the resulting outcry? That's new. Women haven't been recognized as full humans for even a century. Women's suffrage is about that old. Women working? Seventy years tops. Forty, more realistically. Equal pay? Not yet, but we're getting there. A few hundred years ago, women were possessions. They were the spoils that lamented after I cut down their menfolk. Now they are the ones who cut down the enemy menfolk.

Certainly the rest of the world lags behind the shining light of the West, and progress is never fast enough--but humanity is moving in the right direction. We just need to keep the momentum up. In your lifetime you have seen marriage rights for gay people, cures for chicken pox, the extinction of polio, communications technology that is pure f-ing magic. I'm writing this on my phone in a damn Taco Bell and it will reach all of you milliseconds after I click 'post'.

Every day the vast majority of you seven billion humans completely fail to kill or rape anyone. More often you help each other or even invent stuff. It's astonishing! Could it be that you humans, for all your stupidity and clumsiness, are actually basically good? There is still work to be done--but take the long view, and see all that humanity has accomplished so far, and realize that you have all contributed, if only slightly, to that progress.

Every day the vast majority of you seven billion humans completely fail to kill or rape anyone. More often you help each other or even invent stuff. It's astonishing! Could it be that you humans, for all your stupidity and clumsiness, are actually basically good? There is still work to be done--but take the long view, and see all that humanity has accomplished so far, and realize that you have all contributed, if only slightly, to that progress.

I agree, but I still find the majority of humanity pretty darned obnoxious.

I'm really sure that you thought that it was an important call that you were making on your cell when I came into your fast food restaurant, and I'm really sure that you thought it would be a great idea to "put me on waiting" while you finished, and I'm really sure that when you decided to tell me that it was "an important call" without apologizing for your rude behavior that nothing would come of it. And really, accusing me of "doing this" so that I could get free food is so far off the mark that it just made the situation worse.

But now I've talked to your manager, and I've sent in a message to your Corporate Customer Relations office. Put the d**n iPhone away next time and do your job.

So, how are you all spending your Christmas Eve ?

We spent it cleaning cat poop, off the crate, the pad, the cat, the bathroom, the shower and ourselves. The laundry is yet to be done. It was Fear Diarrhea. The worst.

Merry Frickin' Christmas to us.

And to top it all off, there was nothing wrong with the cat.

"Do you want to know my secret?" Bruce Banner asks the assembled Avengers. "I'm always angry." I've never really been a huge fan of the Hulk, but in that moment, I knew him. I knew him like I know myself, because he is me. Sure, I'd like to be Tony Stark -- suave, sophisticated, smart, a lady's man and a man's man. Or Steve Rogers, sure of myself, certain of my mission, with a goal and a calling much bigger than myself, admired and loved by everyone around him. But I'm Banner, alone and filled with an anger that I don't really understand and can't safely express.