Your favorite team flavor...

Hermit

You know what I mean, there's a big difference between say, the feel of a group like the X-men, and the Justice League, the Fantastic Four, and the Titans.

What do you usually end up playing in or running?

Forgive me if I miss any options

The best of the best, the elite guardians of the Earth

Government or "officially" sponsered and run. Have no fear, citizen.

Hated, Hunted and feared by those they would protect...

Heroes for Hire, Capes for Cash

A group of reformed villains

We're not just a team, we're family!

Govt funding? World saving? We're friends, we protect our home town and own, and if you don't like it... get out of the clubhouse!

We are the judge, jury, and if need be executioners; doing what the law can't... or won't.

We're bound by destiny (or some other cosmic force) and don't seem to have a choice.

Other, please explain

• 3 years later...

Re: Your favorite team flavor...

wow, on a whim I hit last page of this thread and was surprised this hadn't gone somewhere... so how's this for a bump? =)

As far as favorite teams go I've always liked something a little less contrived or random than government/school/etc. affiliations or even mercenaries. I've always liked the idea that heroes teamed up because they liked each other or had some kind of relationship or a common event that brought them together. Just, at least, a tad of a story to bring the heroes together in some purpose. It gives a lot more reason to stay together though it requires more interaction in team building.

The best of the best, the elite guardians of the Earth

We are the judge, jury, and if need be executioners; doing what the law can't... or won't.

These two seem to be the most common options my playing groups belong to. I've also played in one corporate sponsored superteam.

The Elite Guardians option always tends to have more of a Silver Age patina to it, since that seems to flow better for me in playing or GMing. But when I'm playing or GMing a vigilante type of campaign, it will not tend to go too far Iron Age. Deaths among superhumans were more common, but not a regular occurrence.

I would have to say that for flexibility and range of play options - the Avengers type team is my favorite. Whether it is independent, government, or corporate, it doesn't really matter much.

The thing that appeals to me about them is that any character of any origin can be included without "busting" the theme. The variety of characters has its own rewards for DMs who now have a lot more to work with, built into their players' characters.

We're bound by destiny (or some other cosmic force) and don't seem to have a choice.

The campaign I'm currently running is closest to a mix of these. Typically, I tend to run closer to street-level games. The 'best-of-the-best' games generally have less appeal.

The only supers game I'm currently playing in has a very non-team feel to it. Most of the supers games where I've had a character on an explicit team, they've been sponsored in some fashion, and many of the non-supers games where I've had a character on a 'team' (usually an informal one at best) have had the characters bound by destiny etc.

The campaign I run is, in theory, an Elite Guardians game. And at least a part of the time, they actually act that way.

Because there can only really be one set of Elite Guardians of the earth (cause if there were more they'd still be responding to the same threats) the people who have wanted to run on the same game world have gone more for the family/Clubhouse models.

Where were all you people three and a half years ago?! :confused:

I hope Keith "Death to thread necromancy!" Curtis doesn't spot this. :fear:

;):P

But, I didnt join to later that year. :)

Anyhow, I would say other for me. As i tend to have fun in a group that is a combo of the several mentioned makes it interesting. For me personally I like playing a reformed villain. I guess I like the chracter growth such a character must experience. (Slowly learn the "right" way. Wanting to do it the easy way but realizing he cant if he wants to atone). Love having it where there is temptation to go back but overcoming it stuff. Generally I like being in a group where their are a multitude of background variety and the players just happen to come together. i feel that gives the people a chance to play their type of character rather than being stuck in a "themed" game. Not saying having a similar "themed" background (ex. X-Men) is a bad thing. Just depends on your taste.

Well, this goes back to when I was actually still running Champions;

What I always wanted to run: Justice League

What my players always came up with: Mystery Men

And I don't mean Pulp-types. I mean like from the movie with William H. Macy, Ben Stiller, Janine Gerrafolo (sp?), Paul Reubens, etc. Drove me nuts. Now I'm trying to get a play-by-chat game going online with a Marvel Knights/ Batman Family vibe. Here's hoping.