What's the most ridiculous PC you've ever been subjected to?

nexus

Re: What's the most ridiculous PC you've ever been subjected to?

May I humbly suggest that your failure was not simply allowing that character?

Actually that is what my last line was trying to say (I think?). I should never have allowed him to play the character. But I have always played with a total trust in the Hero system balancing itself in the long run. I usually have no problem with a person playing a min/maxed character because usually the min/maxing leaves some deficiency somewhere in the character that is going to become apparent and hurt eventually. I hope that by seeing this, players will eventually lean toward more balanced characters. For all my other players, this has been the case and we worked well. But for this guy, he just refused to "get it". And I guess I should have stepped in to regulate his actions for his own sake and for the sake of the fun he missed (and caused others to miss).

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red, White and Blue Buckeroo. Horseless cowboy with a magic lasso.

I kid you not.

Mags

Again, this one doesn't seem half bad with just that description.

Know how hard it is to keep a horse in a modern day city? (And keep it alive in super-combat to boot.) I doubt that magic lasso works as a pooper-scooper.

Comparatively, I got nuthin.

I don't think even Bingo the Clowno comes close...

Although I did just help a guy write up his next character,

Farmer Dead. A vengeful ghost of an Amish farmer, aside from

the usual array of ghost powers, he has a Phantom Pitchfork he

can stab people with.

And I guess I should have stepped in to regulate his actions for his own sake and for the sake of the fun he missed (and caused others to miss).

What I meant was, if the first session of your game resulted in two PC deaths, you can't put all the blame on the inefficient design of one PC.

What really chills me to my bones is I can see some of these characters working in a certain type of campaign.

Yo yo, the power armor football guy, Red, White and Blue Buckaroo... yeah in a goofy silver age setting I think they'd fly. :)

Celine, The Living Spooge and Capt. Prophalyctus....well maybe as members of Penthouse Comics Team Supreme. They actually did have a character with an invulnerable hymen (Ok, she was invulernable everywhere and they ran with that idea). Ms. Adventure.

Again, this one doesn't seem half bad with just that description.

Know how hard it is to keep a horse in a modern day city? (And keep it alive in super-combat to boot.) I doubt that magic lasso works as a pooper-scooper.

I guess you'd have to see the picture to truly grasp the horrid concept. Let me try to describe it:

White cowboy hat, red flashy western-style shirt (with fringe), blue and white pants/jeans with the white part making it look like he's wearing the underwear on the outside, and black boots. And the shiny gold lasso hangin off his belt.

And he talked with a very bad John Wayne southern drawl, "Howdy pardner..."

*cringe*

Mags

I was in a con game with this guy...who makes some pretty unusual characters.

I'm playing a teenaged girl with telekinetic powers. He's playing some guy. I don't actually remember what sort of powers he had. All I know is that his 'secret' ID was that of a street performer, and that his performance took the form of wearing a loincloth and body oil, gyrating rythmically and banging two rocks together...

Another convention, another game, I'm playing the same character, but this time he's playing an alien life form with tri-lateral symmetry with the superhero name of "Grappler". So when combat starts, what does he do?

Shoot energy blasts...

Go figure. At least it wasn't wearing a loincloth.

What I meant was' date=' if the first session of your game resulted in two PC deaths, you can't put all the blame on the inefficient design of one PC.[/quote']

Well that may be true. I did my best to balance the game taking his character into account. But when he jumped into a situation assuming he was invulnerable (which was not too far from accurate) and was promptly blasted into unconciousness, that left the rest of the team seriously undermanned for the encounter I had planned for all of them. As it was, The other PC who "died" I figured out a way to revive if the player decided he wanted to and the third player simply recovered after tha battle as they didn't realize where he was. I didn't want to penalize the other players for the one PC's actions.

But if you are trying, in a nice way, to say I screwed up as GM, I am not going to argue that point at all. But I think the larger part of my screw up was allowing the character in the first place.

But if you are trying' date=' in a nice way, to say I screwed up as GM, I am not going to argue that point at all. But I think the larger part of my screw up was allowing the character in the first place.[/quote']

Hindsight is always 20/20. A friend and I discussed this last night and we agreed that and old campaign would have been better off without some characters.

I guess you'd have to see the picture to truly grasp the horrid concept. Let me try to describe it:

White cowboy hat, red flashy western-style shirt (with fringe), blue and white pants/jeans with the white part making it look like he's wearing the underwear on the outside, and black boots. And the shiny gold lasso hangin off his belt.

And he talked with a very bad John Wayne southern drawl, "Howdy pardner..."

*cringe*

Mags

As opposed to a purple rocky/orange lava bald woman wearing a white one-piece swimsuit with white boots? ;)

Different strokes. ;)

But if you are trying' date=' in a nice way, to say I screwed up as GM, I am not going to argue that point at all. But I think the larger part of my screw up was allowing the character in the first place.[/quote']

I know what you mean. I've had some real lapses in judgment on that front. A few years back I told a friend I was going to run Fantasy Hero and he decided, before he even heard about the game setting, that he wanted to play a character who switches genders every day. I told him the magic in the setting didn't work that way, but he was determined to play this character. He's a good roleplayer, so I worked with him. One type of magic in the setting allows the user to slowly shape his body to gain different abilities (built as a slow-shifting VPP). He worked out a character who gradually shifts between male and female once per month. Of course this totally disregarded the magic system's design for versatility. Instead he shifted between a DEX-god combat monster and a STR-goddess combat monster. Then I foolishly allowed him to build up CSLs in his female form, somehow failing to comprehend how absurd that would make his male form. Add to that the magic's ability to grant resistant defenses (another lapse on my part) and I wound up with a PC who essentially couldn't be hit on a full Dodge and barely felt it when he was. You can imagine the difficulty in designing battles for this statistical demigod in the midst of more reasonable PCs.

The experience made me realize my GM skills are pretty rusty in some areas.

A character shot an EB from his penis but he needed "gestures" and a focus - for some reason corndogs and mustard did the trick. This is the character he tells me about while trying to convince me to let him play in our game.....Next.........

Well that may be true. I did my best to balance the game taking his character into account. But when he jumped into a situation assuming he was invulnerable (which was not too far from accurate) and was promptly blasted into unconciousness, that left the rest of the team seriously undermanned for the encounter I had planned for all of them. As it was, The other PC who "died" I figured out a way to revive if the player decided he wanted to and the third player simply recovered after tha battle as they didn't realize where he was. I didn't want to penalize the other players for the one PC's actions.

But if you are trying, in a nice way, to say I screwed up as GM, I am not going to argue that point at all. But I think the larger part of my screw up was allowing the character in the first place.

Actually, this happened to another GM I played (with? under? Either of those sound wrong. :think: ).

Anyway, Combat Wombat, featured in many threads, failed to make it to a game session with some major combat.

Two phases in, we had two VERY unconscious characters, one who couldn't do anything against the villains, and one off fighting one-on-one with the brick villain.

We were all very upset. He was upset that we were upset, until we explained that the problem was, he'd created characters who had a chance against CW. He agreed with us on that point, and let us toss new characters into the fray during our next session. With the new characters helping out and CW's return, we didn't have any trouble.

Mighty Oak. An old 1st or 2nd Edition Brick in one of my games.

The character was a fusion of a normal man and an oak tree. He was fused with the tree when it and him were struck by lightning. It was just an odd concept.

The character did not have feet, he had roots. However he could move pretty swiftly by "rapid re-rooting." This had the side-effect of tearing up the groud on which he traveled, he'd even tear up the pavement which made the city none too happy. He was suseptible to fire (he was kind of woody). The character had a short career since he inadvertantly ran (err.. re-rooted) under the team vehicle which was hovering. Unfortunately the team vehicle did heat damage with its exhaust and the Mighty Oak imolated himself.

Later I got to thinking about all the odd problems a half-man, half-tree might have. I guess he'd need a really big planter inside the team base. How did he feed. I hope he didn't have to absorb nourshment from the soil, wouldn't the manure deliveries to the base cause a stir in the press? Did he go bald in the winter? Did he go dormant in the winter? Might he become infested with tent caterpillers of something else?

We should stat all these guys out and make a team.

The Dysfuctionals

The Unmentionables

The Unacceptables

Something like that.

Fluffy wants to call it "Squawk."

Personally, I'd like to call it "The Invincible Hammer Wheel and his Masters of Rhythym."

I did the sports hero thing once. I took the "Duh' date=' Jock" character class found in a [i']Best of Dragon Magazine[/i], an April Fools issue I believe, and translated it into an ex-athlete-turned-gadgeteer aptly named Jock.

He had the Jock Stick , which could become a baseball bat (HA), hockey stick (HKA), tennis racket (missile deflection), pole vault (leaping), etc. He had armor-piercing baseballs and hockey puck tear gas grenades. His sneakers could sprout in-line skate wheels or ice skate blades or swim fins, offered gas-powered leaping, sported a shoe phone (a la Max Smart) in one and a rebreather mask in the other, and could inflate to be emergency floatation devices. His football helmet visor had various vision modes, flash defenses, etc.

It worked very well. Shockingly well, even.

I'm surprised he didn't have an Entangle or Stretching power known as: Jock Strap.

I'm just saying.

Well, the closest I can come up with was a fellow gamer who created a character named Harlequin. He had a jester motif and knew Drunken Clown Kung Fu and had a bag of tricks. This was decent.

The problem was, we were in a 250 point Dark Champions game and the player had 35 points unspent (basically a 215 pt character). He refused to spend them. Even when we received XP, he'd only spend the XP.

When nothing was happening in the city, he overrode radio signals and challenged CLOWN to a 'final fight'. They opened with blowing up four gas stations at one intersection.

When we were in a losing battle and were strategically withdrawing, he dodged from the teammate who was there to pull him out.

When he faced a villain (Cardshark) that had kidnapped his parents and told him only one would live and he'd have to decide. He said he was using all his anger to well up and hit this guy... with his normal 15 STR. Yep, 3d6 HtH attack. No pushing, no martial arts, no damage classes, just 3d6. He was very surprised when his 11 points or so of Stun didn't affect the villain.

Though, it cold be argued it was the most ridiculous PLAYER that I've been subjected to.