Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Very worthy quotage none the less!

I'll agree... ;D Though I should admit, as GM, I've probably been having way too much fun with poor Mole....

Though the current scene's managed some serious with all the insanity...

so...any more advice for an aspiring young superhero...besides "quit while I can"? I've heard that one." {Mole} says good naturedly.

"Get out and forget spandex every now and again," Diamond answers gruffly...

"Walk downtown, spend an afternoon in a park, watch kids at a playground. Remember what 'normal' looks like and burn those memories into your head...

"Every hero eventually finds himself wondering 'why' -- and you may not have time to find a better answer."

While I don't like the character as stated' date=' I must say the following made me think of Bulldozer and Guy Gardner.[/quote']

I was actually getting a Flesh Gordan vibe from Yankee Daring. Just remember that the people who lost were bitter.

*Ahem*

Moving on.

Some quotes from the Legends Born epic game

-----------------

[imet Toth has rolled the highest initiative for the combat]

Kethri (OOC): Its not that youre actually -faster- than anyone else here. Its just that your **** is out there so far in front of you....

All: :eek:

-------------

[Astra's Player walks in on the tail end of a conversation. So to speak]

Imet (OOC): Is that, or is that not a snake butt?

GM: Yes. Clearly.

Astra (OOC): ?!??

----------------

[A 120 foot long serpent made of pure, darkest shadow, so cold that mist forms at its base, rises up in the Unhallowed darkness]

Imet: Come, sister of my heart. Let us take out the trash.

Astra *Draws her sword, smiling*: Chores are always so much more fun with you! :)

-----------------

Kethri (OOC): So, whay youre saying is, it regrets ever lurching out of the tomb this morning.

--------------

Imet: Ive been playing with Incarnum*

GM: And now youre all sticky!

[a new kind of magic]

--------------

Kethri (OOC): Oh Gawd! You didnt just "cross the line"; you went screaming across it on fire, sideways!

------------

Imet (OOC): I forgot to use my amulet of memory today.

Kethri (OOC): Ironic.

------------

Astra (OOC): I hit with four of the five arrows. *Rolls damage, totalling near maximum on each*

GM: He is "Un-pleased".

Imet (OOC): As well as "Un-Dead" and "Un-likely to make it outta here"! :D

-------------

Imet (OOC): I march in, Holy Axe a-swingin!

Kethri (OOC): Is that a euphamism for something?

---------------

Kethri *looks at the battlemat, then starts singing "Achey Breakey Heart"*

Astra (OOC): ................Why. :straight:

Kethri (OOC): Cause of he casts a Lightning Bolt on us, its -gonna- be a Line Dance! :cool:

----------------

Imet (OOC): Thats not a bra! Thats a protective device!

------------

[The Epic-level Vampire Lord is frustrated by the fact that his score of powerful Vampire assassins are being destroyed en masse by Imet Toth, his sarcophagus is being wrecked by Kethri, Astra keeps pinning him with arrows, and the Unhallow/Desecration effect is being ruined by Gwynnifer]

Epic Vamp Lord: Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

Astra: Give us a moment, and WE WILL! :sneaky:

--------------

[seth is a master rogue who can turn invisible. Mutara is a Church Inquisitor who can see invisible things, and kinda likes Seth.

"Likes him" likes him.]

Seth: Quit looking at me all the time when Im trying to be sneaky! Its like youre my mother!

Mutara: *sigh* Just what every girl wants to hear. :straight:

---------------

Astra *heals Jaycen*

Jaycen: I love you!

Astra: I love you, too! Id like to keep you around a bit longer!

Imet *heals Jaycen*

Imet: I wouldnt quite say that I love you, but I -have- grown rather fond of you.

---------------

Kethri: We should have a lottery, so that poor people, who cant afford to see new lands or go new places or do people can...er...um....did I just say "do people"?!?

Imet and Astra: :rofl:

---------------

Imet (OOC): Yep. We are all just a little bit more broken than we were when we got up this morning :)

----------------

Astra: Why did he DO that?!?

Imet: We'll have to ask him when hes dead

-----------------

Imet (OOC): I happen to have 10 points of Fire Resistance.

GM: Congratulations; youve just been hit with a Polar Ray

Imet (OOC): Thats a massive cold shoulder!

--------------

Kepu'kamen the Evil Big Bad: Ive subverted your friends, your lands, even your WOMAN!

Imet Toth: You have cast a few spells. Those can be undone. You were always short-sighted, even back when we were training together as Acolytes.

Kepu'kamen: Thats why I gave myself over to the will of the Scarlet Empress!

Imet Toth: You sold yourself to a Hellgod. *sigh* Even more short-sighted.

-------------

Astra: Im getting too old for this.

[Astra is still a teenager]

--------------

Astra (OOC): If I stick my sword into Kepu-kamen's body, does the fight music start again, like it did at the end of Conan the Destroyer?

Defender's toast at the Annual Detroit Day gathering at Homestead, following an attempt by the Devil's Advocates to transform Millennium City into a part of Faerie (or as Mole put it: Disney on acid) with the aid of the Shadow Queen...

"Tonight, we look back upon the memories of the people who came before us and left us too soon with only their examples to guide us on the path that still lays ahead of us," Defender speaks quietly, his electronically modulated voice carrying easily throughout the room...

"Heroes in the fullest sense of the word, who made the ultimate sacrifice, and we hope somehow to make up for their loss with our own efforts to take up the burdens they can no longer carry...

"But as we turn our eyes from the past, and look to the future, we rejoice as we witness that the flames lit by their legacies burn just as bright and fierce as before. Those who plot darkness and destruction will not be unopposed in their efforts," the armored hero states with iron sincerity as he faces the youngest of the heroes currently present...

"July 1992...

"Vanguard...

"Tiger...

"Goblin...

"Vigil...

"Flechette...

"Crusher...

"And we must never forget the hundreds of firefighters and police who died as well, who's own heroism can only be regarded with humble awe as we remember that they faced the horrors of that day without powers and super-technology, but only their own courage and sense of duty...

"May our own courage be enough," he concludes softly, holding his glass aloft again...

The PC's thoughts following the toast:

"Amen to that," Mole states unashamedly as he raises his own glass. .oO(Dawn, Eth'lien, here's to you two as well. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never forget either of you..both heroes.)

Ember follows suit and raises her own glass, giving Mole a smile and looking back at Defender as he finishes the toast. .oO(I thought I would be one of those names... I really didn't think I'd survive. After everything that's happened, I really am surprised we did so well... I gotta remember to tell Dr. Michaels thank you for all his training.)

I may have had entirely too much fun running this story, but who'd have thunk you could get so much mileage out of all the Disney I've had to watch because of my kids these last few years...

That is an entirely legitimate tactic and one that my Dwarf character used to great effect in a High Fantasy campaign. Very few Wyrms think to defend themselves from creatures inside their mouths. And it's much easier to get a headshot!

I can't help but post a response to this, with a little perspective from the other side. I'm running a campaign where every player character is a dragon --- a very young dragon, as it turns out (D&D can do dragons, but only if you're basically still pulling shell bits off your scales).

So they're in class, and the dragon teacher's current topic? "What not to eat."

Teacher: "When you're big enough, you must be very careful what you swallow whole. Some things are simply too dangerous."

He then went on with some examples of Things Not to Eat.

I can't recall the list clearly (it was incidental to the main plot), but it did include: acid-resistant creatures (don't digest), and adventurers (no matter how big the temptation).

Guest Major Tom

I can't help but post a response to this, with a little perspective from the other side. I'm running a campaign where every player character is a dragon --- a very young dragon, as it turns out (D&D can do dragons, but only if you're basically still pulling shell bits off your scales).

So they're in class, and the dragon teacher's current topic? "What not to eat."

Teacher: "When you're big enough, you must be very careful what you swallow whole. Some things are simply too dangerous."

He then went on with some examples of Things Not to Eat.

I can't recall the list clearly (it was incidental to the main plot), but it did include: acid-resistant creatures (don't digest), and adventurers (no matter how big the temptation).

Here's a story that the dragon students could profit from:

There's these two dragons, one of whom is holding his stomach as well as

missing a few teeth. The other dragon, who's holding a rather battered-

looking knight in full plate armor, just shakes his head and says to his friend,

"I keep telling you, man, you've got to peel these things before you eat them."

Major Tom :sneaky:

More quotes dropped at our latest Chronicles of the Agency Pulps Champions campaign....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As our heroes walk through the streets of New York City, the adventure begins!

Rocket Ranger: We're being bombed by a pterodactyl!

Patriot (as Tom Jefferson): That's...not normal. Or I assume not. I've never been to New York.

Havoc gets a sit-rep on the battle over New York City...

Havoc (OOC): How's Rocket Ranger doing with the critters?

Rocket Ranger (OOC): I'm being chewed on. You make the call.

Upon discovering Columbia University had mad scientist Dr Reinhard Sorros as a professor on campus...

Patriot (OOC): I'm going to tell the Dean that when he hires professors to not hire the crazy ones.

In keeping with his Secret ID, the Patriot disappears, showing up to Agency briefings as mild-mannered Tom Jefferson...

Rocket Ranger: Where is Patriot? He never shows up for meetings. Guy must have a vulnerability to paperwork.

Clubber: Do you blame him?

Regarding would-be conqueror Dr Sorros...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): You'd think a master of temporal physics would be on time more often...

Impromptu planning as the heroes creep up on Dr Sorros's farm-like base...

Rocket Ranger: So, we should sneak over near the giant barn.

Clubber: Nah, let's call the Air Force and have them bomb the place!

Patriot (OOC): Um, this is Champions...not Top Secret.

Havoc: Yeah, right, how are we going to convince Tom to finance a bombing run?

(Tom Jefferson, Patriot's Secret ID, is a former banker and financial officer for the team.)

As Rocket Ranger and Clubber close in the farm, they notice many normal looking animals...

Rocket Ranger: Look, a cat.

Clubber: Better take it out.

Rocket Ranger: It's just a cat!

Clubber: A cat belonging to a mad scientist who conjures prehistoric monsters from the primordial past and compels them to do his bidding!

Rocket Ranger: ...

A peek in the barn reveals a half dozen massive dinosaurs!

Clubber: Okay, somebody get on the phone and call animal control.

Havoc goes desolid to scout out the barn...

GM: At the controls is the fiendish Dr Reinhold Sorros.

Havoc (OOC): Okay, I go back to the guys and tell them what I saw.

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Do you actually use the word 'fiendish?'

Havoc (OOC): Naturally. ;)

Typical beginning of our team plans...

Patriot (OOC): Let's start with a good old-fashioned 30 Strength boot to the door!

The GM has some fun...

Patriot (OOC): Patriot kicks down the door. :yes:

GM: It bangs open then bounces back into your face. :winkgrin:

Patriot: Oww! Gah! I think I got a splinter in my nose! :cry:

Clubber: Good door springs. :whistle:

Rocket Ranger: Patriot, I'm sort of losing faith in America here. :stupid:

Clubber: Why? They're American-made door springs. :snicker:

The dinosaurs attack after Patriot's grand entrance!

Rocket Ranger: I blame you for this.

Patriot: I...blame me as well.

The heroes have some of their own fun...

Patriot (to the tune of "Duke of Earl"): Di-di-di-di-no-saur-saur-saur...di-no-saur-saur-saur...di-no-saur-saur-saur...

Rocket Ranger: Less musical interlude, more punching!

Patriot: I can get behind that. I am American. If there's a problem that can't be solved by hitting it, it's not a problem worth solving.

Analyzing our opponents...

Patriot (OOC): Is that a dimetridon coming to eat me?

Clubber (OOC): Looks more like a stegosaurus.

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Always good to be precise when devoured by monsters.

As the friendly fire gets awfully close...

Patriot (OOC): I better take a step back.

Rocket Ranger (OOC): You might want more than a single step.

Patriot (OOC): I didn't say how far a step.

A battle cry...?

Patriot: Taste star-spangled justice, you beast from another era!

A triceratops clambers up a wall in an attempt to reach the flying Rocket Ranger...

Patriot: I wish I had a camera right now!

Rocket Ranger: I wish I had a better life insurance policy!

Havoc has snuck around the battle to close in on Dr Sorros...

Havoc (OOC): I'll invisibly run over and full-body tackle him.

Clubber (OOC): And he's a reclusive scientist who probably hasn't had contact with a woman in a while. He could go into shock.

Havoc (OOC): I'm hoping. :eg:

The insane Dr Sorros realizes he's been beaten...

Dr Sorros (NPC): I seem to have underestimated you...

Patriot: That's ri-...

Dr Sorros (NPC): ...but this is not the end! If I cannot conquer the present with the past...

Havoc: Oh, no, he's monologuing.

Dr Sorros (NPC): ...I will change the past to conquer the future!

Havoc: Darn it! I got distracted listening to him!

Post-session discussion...

DM: Okay, what did you learn from this session?

Havoc (OOC): Always knock out the scientist first chance you get!

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Stay in touch with your ground-bound teammates!

Patriot (OOC): Dinosaurs are fun to ride! :D

More next week!

Lonewalker

That is an entirely legitimate tactic and one that my Dwarf character used to great effect in a High Fantasy campaign. Very few Wyrms think to defend themselves from creatures inside their mouths. And it's much easier to get a headshot!
Bad DM! Bad! :whip:

Don't they know that all dragons learn early on to chew your food? Bite it, chew it, then swallow! For those still wiggling after a couple of teeth gnashings, it's bite, chew, breath weapon, swallow. :yes:

Bad DM! Bad! :whip:

Don't they know that all dragons learn early on to chew your food? Bite it, chew it, then swallow! For those still wiggling after a couple of teeth gnashings, it's bite, chew, breath weapon, swallow. :yes:

Technically it was a hideous lovecraftian flying wyrm from beyond reality so it was understandable that it hadn't had a good education and didn't know the safety procedures in this situation.

And if our party necromancer, (a good guy surprisingly), hadn't given the Dwarf life-shielding then he would have been severely drained as soon as he got into contact with the creature. It just wasn't used to prey that struggled.

Shadows Angelus, and Michael (Chrysine) is talking to Grady (Mitch) about where he gets some of his blue-booking ideas from.

Grady: "If my life was a DVD, these would all be the deleted scenes."

More quotes dropped at our latest Chronicles of the Agency Pulps Champions campaign....

Post-session discussion...

DM: Okay, what did you learn from this session?

Havoc (OOC): Always knock out the scientist first chance you get!

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Stay in touch with your ground-bound teammates!

Patriot (OOC): Dinosaurs are fun to ride! :D

More next week!

Lonewalker

Okay... I'm picturing somebody who looks rather like Captain America jousing with mad scientists from dino-back... and it is totally awesome!

Reppage. :thumbup:

From last night's Champions game:

VIPER has put a price on Squeeze's head and Lazer came to town to try and collect it. During the fight, Squeeze grabs Lazer, and the assassin kicks his jetpack on full, straight up. The hero then crushes the jetpack exhaust nozzles on one side.

Lazer: Stop it, you idiot! You're going to get us killed!

Squeeze: Um, weren't you trying to kill me just a moment ago?

Lazer: (pause) Oh, yeah.

After Squeeze crushes the remaining exhaust nozzles, the two of them soon begin to fall toward the buildings far below.

Squeeze: Y'know, when we get low enough I'm just going to grab onto a building and swing away. (Pause) So, how's this plan working for you?

The heroes hear about a US Army convoy attacked while transporting munitions, and discover the officer in charge is a friend of theirs. So they travel to Kentucky to the scene of the attack, where they meet Lexington's lone superhero, the Cobalt Kid (a college punk with Green-Lantern style powers).

Cobalt Kid: You're not going to get anywhere with the guy in charge. He's a real hard-a**.

Serendipity: We'll give it a shot. We can be pretty persuasive.

Cobalt Kid: Okay. If you want me to give him a wedgie, let me know.

A soldier calls Col. Wilkerson up to talk to the heroes.

Col. Wilkerson: Oh, great, more "capes." Sorry you came out here and all, but we've got it covered.

(snip various failed attempts by the heroes to get him to allow them in to help)

Col. Wilkerson: It's a free country, so you can do what you want, as long as it's outside my perimeter.

Serendipity: But if anyone is injured, Sentinel can...

GM: He's already turned and is walking away, completely ignoring you.

Cobalt Kid: So, you want me to do that wedgie now?

Sentinel: Sure, why not?

(CK flies off, theres a short pause, then they hear Wilkerson yell.)

Cobalt Kid (flying back): Man, that never gets old!

With some help from PRIMUS, the heroes get Wilkerson to allow them in to heal and then help question one of the attackers who was captured. Serendipity is using her luck powers to get him to make verbal slips during questioning.

BTW, he's a Subterran, looks like a hunchbacked albino Neanderthal and obviously isn't very bright. The heroes haven't run into Subterrans before and know nothing about the underground dwellers.

Serendipity: So, where are you from?

Captive: Hah! Me not fool! Not tell you about Underland!

Squeeze: Underland? Cool! Do they have rollercoasters and stuff?

Serendipity: Where did you take the soldiers?

Captive: (confused pause) Me not take them anywhere. Me stuck here.

Serendipity: What is your name?

Captive: Ig-thrax.

Serendipity: That's a... very nice name.

Styx walks in; his costume is a hooded black robe, very similar in appearance to the black robe worn by Dungeoneer, a Subterran supervillain.

Captive: Ha! Dungeoneer here, you sorry now!

Serendipity: Dungeoneer?!

(Styx moves close enough that the Subterran can see his face.)

Captive: Oh. Never mind.

Serendipity: So, if Dungeoneer isn't your boss, who is?

Captive: Like me tell you about King Earthwyrm! Not gonna say!

Synergy: King Earthwyrm?! (laughs) Is his other name "Jim"?

Serendipity: How many of you are there down there?

Captive (starts counting on his fingers, gives up after three): Many, many lots!

Eventually the heroes convince the Subterran that they want to join forces with the Subterrans (did I mention he's not very bright?), and he directs them toward a Downroad at a rock quarry to the west. The heroes rush there, inviting the Cobalt Kid along.

Sentinel: Is Cobalt Kid wearing a diaper?

Cobalt Kid: Hey!! :mad: I'm not *that* young!

Sentinel: No, I meant that when we see what's down there, I bet you're gonna crap your pants.

The heroes enter the Downroad, and explore a side tunnel where they find two Subterrans (one sewing some clothes, the other eating what looks like a slab of Velveeta left out in the sun for a month or two). Synergy and Styx go in to subdue them; Synergy uses his 9d6 autofire blast, while Styx uses a martial punch.

GM: He only has 4 ED, so you put him into negative BODY.

Synegy: :nonp::help: Sentinel! I need you to come heal this guy!

(Styx begins to tease Synergy about almost killing the Subterran.)

GM: How much damage did you do?

Styx (OOC): I only hit him with one martial punch!

GM: That's fine. He has a PD of 4. How much BODY did you do?

Styx (rolls dice): :nonp::help: Sentinel! When you're through over there...

Squeeze convinces the revived Subterrans that King Earthwyrm sent them to test the Subterran guards, and those guards failed. Styx pretends to be Dungeoneer and brings a pile of old food slabs into the room, then walks out. Most of the food slabs are the consistency of rock.

Squeeze: You're to stay here and eat all of these.

Subterran: But me not hungry no more.

Squeeze: That's your punishment. You both have to stay in this room until you've finished all of this off.

Subterran: :( Dungeoneer make new torture. :( :( Him smart.

Following the trucks' trail, the heroes discover that the soldiers managed to overpower their Subterran guards and take one of the trucks. A few miles further on, they discover the truck had cracked an axle on a fallen rock, and the soldiers rigged a bunch of the muntions into one huge boobytrap before leaving on foot.

Synergy: But what if Col. Wilkerson and his men find the truck before the Subterrans?

Styx: We could leave a note, but some of the Subterrans might be able to read. (pause) I know! I'll take one of those glowing stones and write "IED" in huge letters on all sides of the truck! The Subterrans won't know what *that* means!

Squeeze: Unless they watch CNN... or Fox News... or CBS... or NBC... or ABC...

Okay... I'm picturing somebody who looks rather like Captain America jousing with mad scientists from dino-back... and it is totally awesome!

Reppage. :thumbup:

The mad scientist actually stayed far behind the battle, but Patriot (who is indeed clad in red, white, and blue) did ride dinosaurs, mostly trying to get them to run into each other and start some in-fighting. (The Bunneh is crazy that way!)

Still didn't compare to Clubber (our resident super-strong guy) who was Martial Throwing dinosaurs on top of each other! :thumbup:

(Thanks for the rep, BTW!)

Lonewalker

You forgot one:

Patriot: We've got until midnight tomorrow to find this madman.

Rocket Ranger: Noon.

Patriot: What?

Rocket Ranger: Noon. The ransom note said we've got until noon tomorrow.

Patriot: I thought it was midnight. What kind of self-respecting mad scientist sets his deadline at noon? Midnight is traditional!

Havok: Maybe he's a morning person?

:rofl:

GM: He only has 4 ED, so you put him into negative BODY.

Synegy: :nonp::help: Sentinel! I need you to come heal this guy!

(Styx begins to tease Synergy about almost killing the Subterran.)

GM: How much damage did you do?

Styx (OOC): I only hit him with one martial punch!

GM: That's fine. He has a PD of 4. How much BODY did you do?

Styx (rolls dice): :nonp::help: Sentinel! When you're through over there...

This takes me back to a session of my old Bay City Champions game where one of the characters (Archer) is forced to defend the team's base from a supervillain assault all by herself. She's injured and gravely outnumbered and spots Oculon coming toward her.

Archer (OOC): Is he wearing any armor?

Me as GM: Nope, it looks like he's just wearing spandex.

Archer (OOC): Well, that doesn't mean anything. He's an energy blaster and probably has a force field or something.

Archer proceeds to tag Oculon with an RKA arrow, hoping to put him down quick. Well, it turns out that the villain had decent normal defenses, but no resistant defenses. Oculon went down into negative STUN and lost more than half his BODY in one hit. :jawdrop:

Archer's response?

"Oops."

:rolleyes:

Lonewalker

This takes me back to a session of my old Bay City Champions game where one of the characters (Archer) is forced to defend the team's base from a supervillain assault all by herself. She's injured and gravely outnumbered and spots Oculon coming toward her.

Archer (OOC): Is he wearing any armor?

Me as GM: Nope, it looks like he's just wearing spandex.

Archer (OOC): Well, that doesn't mean anything. He's an energy blaster and probably has a force field or something.

Archer proceeds to tag Oculon with an RKA arrow, hoping to put him down quick. Well, it turns out that the villain had decent normal defenses, but no resistant defenses. Oculon went down into negative STUN and lost more than half his BODY in one hit. :jawdrop:

Archer's response?

"Oops."

:rolleyes:

Lonewalker

Many moons ago before PRIMUS was published, I was playing a senario for the suplimate to be...it was the classic "Golden Avenger, President for Life" future time travel senario.

I was playing the Armored Avenger, who had repainted his armor and changed his name Twice due to accidental KIA's (one villian, one civilian...:0 )(Previous names Solar Centurian, and Morningstar)

We bust into the white house to confront Goldy and his minutemen....Me: "He is wearing armor, I heard you say that right?" "Yes he's in golden armor..." Me: "Terawatt laser!"

"He is at negative body" Me: "Dude, ...armor..." "It's just a Costume!" Goldy has x2 vs Energy RKAs as published, I don't know if thats why he fried, or if it was a "homage" to the homicidal Iron man clone...:) (published version had some freakin armor as well!)

From my Thunderbolts: The Next Generation game... (it's kind of a long exchange)...

The two heroines are being forced by Mojo to perform in his twisted new "Reality Show." During a commercial break, Mojo makes a request...

"Oh, and before the next battle starts, could I get one of you gals to chug a can of Nar~Cola? Not for me, of course, but for the sponsors -- they love that kind of product placement."

Electron leans in to the camera, staring at it intently. "Nar-Cola? Me? No, thank you. As someone with a doctorate in science, I can tell you that Nar-Cola has been proven to cause baldness, testicular shrinkage, and erectile dysfunction in nearly 80% of male lab subjects. Disturbingly, women have been known to develop disturbingly large growths in their gluteus area--commonly known as "the butt"--after only a few sips, particularly during swimsuit season. Also, it tastes like rancid skunk feces. Dr. Dillon says "Hey kids, drink vomit from a bowl-a, before Nar-Cola!"

"Wha... NO! SHUT OFF HER MIC! SHUT OFF HER..." Mojo's image disappears and he goes silent for a moment, then his muffled voice is heard. "How many households did that go out to? ...that many, huh? Oy."

"OK, you know what?" his holographic image flickers back on. He sounds mad. Like, really mad. "That wasn't funny! Not even a little bit! All right, you asked for it. No more Mister Nice Interdimensional Media Despot! Now it's on like Donkey Kong! So you don't like water, huh?" He chuckles darkly. "Then behold your next challenge!"

Electron and Arachne look out, across the harbor, and see one of the ferries that brings tourists to and from Ellis Island. Suddenly, enormous tentacles begin to slowly wrap themselves around the bow of the boat, and seconds later a gigantic mechanical squid (kinda like the one from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) rises from the depths. Even at this distance, the heroines can hear the screams of the passengers.

Electron stops in mid-air, her face gone flat and impassive. She hovers there, motionless, for several seconds, before speaking, flat and serious. "It's in the water. The water. I hate the water. How am I . . . I mean, what?" She looks back at Arachne. "Would now be a bad time to mention I don't know how to swim?"

"Well I'm not fighting that thing by myself, you know!" Arachne protests. "You can't swim? Well, I can't fly! Just... I don't know... float up above it and zap it or something! No, that's no good. We need a plan, like a real plan. I wish Banner were here -- he's good at coming up with plans and stuff." Mary begins babbling. Alison isn't sure if that's panic or just the way she deals with stress. "What do squids hate? Sperm whales! We need a giant mechanical whale, and... Who do we know that can make a giant mechanical whale? You don't have one, do you? Maybe Iron Girl has one. I've seen her wardrobe; she has one of everything." Arachne looks back at the ferry and the screaming people. "I... I guess we probably don't have time for that, huh?"

Electron stares back at Arachne. "So, your suggestion is . . . we build a big, metal whale. Geez, I seem to have left my arc welder back at my lab. Plus my large, unwieldy pile of scrap metal. Oh, and my "How To Build A Giant Whale" schematics must be in my other pants. Now . . . COULD WE BE SERIOUS AND NOT TALK ABOUT BUILDING A GIANT FREAKING METAL WHALE FOR A SECOND!!!!!"