Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Guest Major Tom

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Pariah's luck based character Wild Card has a 15 pt Curiosity disad, and is getting into a car with a voodoo type lady (in Vibora Bay).

The players said "You may not want to do that"

His responce "I'm 15 pts worth of curious, besides I've gots 3 dice of luck, what's the worst that could happen?"

There are just some questions that should never be asked aloud in Vibora Bay...

and that's one of them.

Major Tom :fear:

Pariah's luck based character Wild Card has a 15 pt Curiosity disad, and is getting into a car with a voodoo type lady (in Vibora Bay).

The players said "You may not want to do that"

His responce "I'm 15 pts worth of curious, besides I've got 3 dice of luck, what's the worst that could happen?"

The term 'famous last words' comes to mind:eek:

There are just some questions that should never be asked aloud in Vibora Bay...

and that's one of them.

Major Tom :fear:

Okay, so the lady in question is probably a voodoo priestess, and the chauffeur is probably a zombie, and one or both of them is probably involved in the death of the guy who gave Wild Card a treasure map a few adventures ago, which treasure map they are now trying to buy/extort from him. Honestly, I don't see the problem here....

Okay' date=' so the lady in question is probably a voodoo priestess, and the chauffeur is probably a zombie, and one or both of them is probably involved in the death of the guy who gave Wild Card a treasure map a few adventures ago, which treasure map they are now trying to buy/extort from him. Honestly, I don't see the problem here....[/quote']

Problem?

No

"Interesting" night on the town?

Definitely

Guest Major Tom

Okay' date=' so the lady in question is probably a voodoo priestess, and the chauffeur is probably a zombie, and one or both of them is probably involved in the death of the guy who gave Wild Card a treasure map a few adventures ago, which treasure map they are now trying to buy/extort from him. Honestly, I don't see the problem here....[/quote']

Under normal circumstances, there probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

It's when the voodoo priestess looks at you a tad too eagerly and asks

if you wouldn't mind giving a friend of hers a ride -- that's when you know

that there's going to be a problem.

Major Tom :eek:

Mesa, a hero in the San Diego Knights, calls Fjordskaalaar, a Norwegian magician skilled in the knowledge of Norse Mythology. He turns out to be knowledgeable about many mystical things, including the dog of Mesa's wife, a large Japanese Spirit Hound.

Mesa: So you've heard of Yatsu.

Fjordskaalaar: Yes, I have. He is extremely popular on the tiki party circuit.

Mesa: Tiki...party...circuit?????!@#$%!!!!!!!....YATSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! Don't try to slip away, or I'll confiscate all of your Dos Equis!

So quite by accident, our team had uncovered a vast undergound network of Illuminatti-ish folks. They had to break into a main bank branch for the records of who owned a saftey deposit box, and found a bank with *WAY* more security than one would expect. Finding out the name they were after, who appears to be Mister Big of the operation, decide to break into his house for more suspicous evidence - and they have to do it tonight because once the first break in was discovered, everything gets locked down. One of the team was protesting, of course. The response?

"If we think about what we're doing, we'll stop!"

The other winner: finaly finding the criminals that pulled the first unrelated bank heist and telling them that they are messing with things WAY beyond their kin: "See this?" -mimes round object - "this is a hornet's nest. See this?" -mimes hitting the nest - "this is you, hitting the hornet's nest with a REALLY big stick. Oh, look - here come the bees!"

Some stuff from the last Wardens Chronicles session...

The group's teenage member, Miss Majestic in Secret ID, visits a coffee bar. The diminutive Prime offers her a warning...

Prime - "Don't drink the coffee, it will stunt your growth."

Miss Majestic - "What age did you start drinking coffee?"

Prime - "About seven."

Miss Majestic - "That explains it all."

Prime takes a picture of himself by triggering a photographer's camera with his tail. Amethyst asks the photog for copies of Prime's pic so that he can put it up on his website...

Prime - "How do you know about that?"

Amethyst - "I stay at the base, I know everything... or Susan, Melinda and Adam do."

Prime - "It wasn’t supposed to happen like that... how did they find out, I wasn't at the base."

Prime - "Amethyst you should really stop talking about websites and congressional investigations in front of the press."

After the photographer leaves in a bit of a rush...

Amethyst - "He vamoosed kind of quickly."

Prime - "You were kind of intimidating."

Prime and Delta-Vee picking at each other...

Prime - "When there is a rumbling in the city 'is it an earthquake or Delta-Vee,' people ask these questions."

DV - "Are you sure they ask that or do they ask 'is it an earthquake or did Prime blow up another lab'"

Prime - "I have only blown up three labs and only two have been associated with the Wardens."

Since paranormal involved crimes have been on the wane Prime suggests stopping some regular crimes...

Prime - "I have never stopped a mugging before."

Delta-Vee - "I have."

Amethyst - "So have I."

Prime - "How come no one tells me we are supposed to be stopping muggings."

Delta-Vee - "We don’t go looking for muggings, we just stop them when we are on patrol."

Prime - "We are supposed to be patrolling?"

Delta-Vee - "of course we patrol... Mark (Boost) said you went on patrols with him before."

Prime - "Oh yeah... didn’t like the cape thing."

Delta-Vee - "Besides you have been given a special dispensation from Amethyst as field leader to not have to patrol"

Prime - "Oh so I am field leader, now... lets get in the van and patrol."

Delta-Vee - "Amethyst is field leader and we don’t have a van with us."

Prime - "Lets take one and patrol"

Lazarus - "Commandeer a vehicle, I know a sweet 10 speed we can jack."

Delta-Vee - "We can just call one."

Prime - "Not dramatic enough. Needs more drama we are superheroes, we need drama." Prime

Amethyst calls for a van while others carry-on then tells everybody...

Delta-Vee - "Miss Majestic, can you provide appropriate pyrotechnics when the van arrives so that Prime can have his drama."

The group continues to discuss patrolling and Prime still seems to think that he is field leader...

Prime - "Melinda, can you provide the location of any criminal groups operating in or around the city."

Lazarus - "Just the police"

Delta-Vee - "Prime, you know those weekly meetings we have. We usually go over that kind of stuff then."

Prime - "What time in the morning are the meetings?"

Delta-Vee - "Three in the afternoon."

Prime - "Oh that’s much too early"

Delta-Vee has not joined the group in person while they have been talking about patrolling...

Prime - "Delta-Vee, what are you doing?"

Delta-Vee - "Providing air cover."

Prime - After looking up at the sky, Prime says "How come I don’t see you?"

Delta-Vee - "If you could see me then I would not be doing a good job of covert air patrol."

Prime - "Yeah... Right."

The team discusses Prime's new project about sending supplies to the future dimension they keep ending up in... as the conversation is winding down...

Prime - "We all agree not to mention the website to anyone in the press."

Delta-Vee and Lazarus - "What website?"

Amethyst - "I am the only one that knows about it."

Delta-Vee - "What website?"

Amethyst - "Don’t worry about it"

Delta-Vee - "Oh, the websites... you mean the ones that say bad things about Prime."

Prime exposes himself to cosmic radiation from one of the crystal shards and is taken over by the Alt-Prime entity in the cosmic computer... after acting strangely, well more strangely than he regularly does...

Miss Majestic - "Do you smell something fishy?"

Alt-Prime (rather mechanically) - "Oh yes, it was my lunch... I had fish for lunch."

Alt-Prime says he needs to go to his hairdresser... he easily bypasses the security systems and steals the Hippogriff... Miss Majestic follows him and warns others that Prime has stolen the Hippogriff... Amethyst calls in Delta-Vee to help stop Prime... when he sees how wobbling Prime's piloting is he asks about his pilot's license and Prime tells him he recently acquired one...

Delta-Vee - "You say you have your pilot's license, how come I don’t believe you?"

Alt-Prime - "Perhaps you are hungry"

Delta-Vee - "I have not been hungry in a week"

Alt-Prime - "Perhaps you are thirsty"

Delta-Vee - "I haven't been thirsty in a week either."

Alt-Prime - "Perhaps you need a kitten."

Delta-Vee - "It is not the high holy days."

This one is best out of context.

From my Black Powder Fantasy Game.

Having succesfully completed one mission the party are plotting their next move.

GM. (responding to the latest idea). It would be much harder for the cat to get inside a Court Judge than to get inside a piano.

While not actually a gaming quote, this one comes from my co-GM.

Set-up: We were attending a Free Comic Book Day convention to sell our comics. He writes and I draw. We are both capable of doing the others job but we are each MUCH faster at our own. Anyway, the quote:

"Comic books are meant to be fondled..... so are writers.... and artists if you really want to go that route."

It's been a while since we posted. Our main poster has taken over as GM, so it's been a little problem.

However, I can't let last weeks game pass without a little note. Please note that the following is heavily paraphrased:

GM: You are driving down an alley and there is a large dumpster blocking the entire alley.

Josh Jackson (that's me, IC): Hmmm.

GM: You only have 4 choices that you can see. You can ram the dumpster, stop dead and pray, throw it in reverse and try to get out of the alley before you are blocked in, or make some crazy attempt to pull the car up onto two wheels or something and somehow drive AROUND the dumpster entirely blocking the alley.

Shawn (OOC): You know what you have to do.

Josh Jackson (me): Ohhhh, DAAAAAAAAMN.

JJ (OOC): Oh, god. Quandry. I know what my character should do and what I WANT to do.

GM: Well, you could make the almost impossible die roll or pray.

JJ (OOC): Well, knowing my ability to roll dice, I'm thinking to trust my ability to roll dice over any kind of luck. I'm going for it.

GM: Allllllright, you have a familiarity with Combat Driving, you need an 8 or less.

JJ (OOC): 2 + 2 + 1 ====== 5! WOOOOOOO-M*F*inHOOOOO-!!!!!!

Yep, that's right. At a critical moment in the game, I was required to roll an 8 or less and rolled a 5. That's right. I roll like that. :)

WooHoo!! That'll teach the GM to give me a dice roll to determine the result of a critical encounter. BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA!

The heroes of S-Squad are still on the trail of the missing soldiers far underground, and Styx captured a super (Cornerstone) who works with the Subterrans.

GM: So, what are you doing with the guy you caught?

Styx: I'm asking him questions. (mimes beating a head into the ground) Does this hurt? How about this?

The heroes followed the soldiers' trail into a large (220 foot tall cylinder about 200 feet in diameter) cylinder buried over a mile underground. (If you've ever played the D&D module Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, that's basically what they're in.) They know the size because of Sentinel's x-ray vision, but it can't penetrate the hull so they're forced to do a more thorough search inside.

Serendipity is searching down one corridor, and stops to inspect something lying in the hallway. Luckily, she made a PER roll...

GM: You see two spiders coming down from the ceiling.

Serendipity: How big?

GM: Did you see that Harry Potter movie with the spiders...

Serendipity: I take off back down the hall at top speed, yelling "SPIDER!" over the team radio.

Cornerstone finally wakes up, and the heroes are discussing what to do if he tries to teleport away.

Sentinel: Maybe we can track him. You got a bug?

Styx: Yeah. (points back down the hall) Spiders down the hall...

After some of the heroes fought a bunch of vegepygmies, basically small semi-sentient vegetable life forms:

GM: So, what did you guys do with the vegepygmies you knocked out?

Synergy: I guess they're tied up. *I* didn't kill any. (turns to Squeeze) Did you?

Squeeze (sheepish grin): I thought they were dangerous...

The heroes find and rescue a British cave explorer (Barry Pethwick) who found the buried spaceship four years ago and has been a captive of the vegepygmies ever since. The heroes learned Pethwick is able to communicate with the vegepygmies.

Squeeze: So, how intelligent are they?

Pethwick: The vegepygmies have instinctual intelligence, like animals. It's akin to talking to a very bright monkey. Or a Frenchman.

The heroes take Pethwick to the medical area for treatment by a medical android (female form) they found earlier. This time, they have a working language translator and are talking to it.

Squeeze: Have you ever heard of Mechanon?

Synergy (OOC imitating the female android): Oh, he's dreamy!

Next door, the heroes run into a berserk surgical android.

Android: Ah, my patient! We must prepare you for surgery!

Styx: Exactly which surgical procedure are you going to perform?

Android (pause): All of them!

Heroes are jokingly discussing the surgical procedures awaiting Styx.

Squeeze: Hernia...

Synergy: Sex change...

Best taken out of context:

Styx: Mmmmmm! Chief goes good with ranch dressing!

More quick quotes from our Chronicles of the Agency Pulps Champions game!

Trapped in the Old West, the heroes aren't sure if they should be fighting the outlaws or the lawmen...

Rocket Ranger: Okay, let's do this southern style - knock everybody out and figure it out later.

Patriot: I like this plan. :thumbup:

The Bunny explains how his character's disadvantages work...

Patriot (OOC): I don't have a Code Against Killing. I have the Pulp Hero's Code. It means I can still kill Nazis and stuff. :eg:

Rocket Ranger throws down a heavy attack to little effect on the corrupt but tough lawmen...

Rocket Ranger: Might be time to get serious.

Patriot: That wasn't serious?

Rocket Ranger: Not as serious as I could get.

Patriot notices that our teammate is still scouting while we're trading blows with the (rather ineffective) bad guys...

Patriot: Great, Clubber's out window shopping while we're fighting for our lives!

Havoc: This is fighting for our lives? :lol:

Havoc faces down with one of the corrupt lawmen thugs. He thinks she's cute...

NPC: Howdy thar, pretty thang, how much you charge fer a tumble?

Havoc: :mad:

Clubber: Hope there's a sawbones in this town.

Patriot: I'm going to write "Show Havoc proper respect" in my notes...and underline it! :fear:

After combat investigations...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): I examine the rayguns to see if recognize any of the tech.

GM: It's like nothing you've ever seen before.

Patriot: Ranger, what can you tell about the weaponry?

Rocket Ranger: It's like nothing I've ever seen before.

Another attack in the Old West!

GM: You see a 1940's jeep roaring down the dusty road with a big burly sheriff armed with a tommy gun riding in the back and the mad scientist Dr Soras at the wheel.

Rocket Ranger: Well, there's something you don't see every day.

Patriot: Unless you're us.

Commenting on Havoc's fighting prowess...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): That's a lot of BODY to be taken in that hit location.

Patriot (OOC): Can we change the subject?

Returning to our own time, we find a surprise!

Patriot: Holy crap, guys, we got dinosaurs AND Nazis! :rockon:

Despite the odds, Clubber remains optimistic, especially considering the bunched up group of Nazi soldiers...

Clubber: You know what the second best thing to hit a Nazi with is? A disabled jeep!

Rocket Ranger: Ooo...tough to pick up that 7-10 split.

Doctor Soras whips out a weapon in the midst of battle...

Clubber: Don't try it, Doc, I'm right here and I've got an unconscious henchman I can club you with!

Surveying the battlefield...

Patriot: I wonder if Libby is tied up and being held captive somewhere...?

Rocket Ranger: Do you always imagine Agent Belle tied up and waiting for you to rescue her?

Patriot: Don't you?

Rocket Ranger: ...

Patriot: That wasn't a 'no,' was it?

Rocket Ranger: It was a definite non-commital silence.

Clubber tosses furniture at the Nazis...poorly.

GM: Air table.

The Bunny had trouble with damage dice...

Patriot: Taste justice. Ugh, justice doesn't taste so good today.

Combat banter...

German Superhuman: Where did these costumed fools come from?

Patriot: Recently? 1837.

Noting Patriot is having trouble with the German superhuman Eisenfaust...

Rocket Ranger: Wow. That guy's kinda tough. Maybe we should let Havoc handle him. :D

As the battle winds down and a couple baddies look like they might get away...

Clubber: In this moment, I think speed takes precedence over cool.

Rocket Ranger: There's always time for cool. :thumbup:

(More in a couple of weeks when we play again!)

Lonewalker

GM: You are driving down an alley and there is a large dumpster blocking the entire alley.
Um, not to rain on your parade, but this post didn't seem very clear. Is there some reason you couldn't just put the car in reverse and drive away? Were you being chased?

Also, what was your decision? Did you ram the dumpster or do the two-wheel option? (Or something else?)

Yep, that's right. At a critical moment in the game, I was required to roll an 8 or less and rolled a 5. That's right. I roll like that. :)

WooHoo!! That'll teach the GM to give me a dice roll to determine the result of a critical encounter. BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA!

This happened to me ONCE. Almost twenty years ago. I'm running down an alley after armed bank robbers, with just a knife ('cause I forgot I wasn't armed and was on pure adrenaline). I see one of them holding my buddy dead to rights with a shotgun. I whip out my knife and throw it.

A four -- half roll, full damage on the 1 1/2d6 rka.

A thirteen -- torso crit.

Guy gets a funny look on his face as he dies near instantly. One of my favorite memories, and got the character a rep that lasts until today, almost completely undeserved.

Having encountered a very lovely former hostage (also a mage) in our Shadowrun game, the two Orks are discussing the situation.

Damian: (ooc): I won't point the gun at her, but I keep it up and will hold an action to fire if she does anything 'freaky'.

Drago (ooc): If she does anything freaky I'll make a seduction attempt!

Final session of Via (before we start a fifteen-years-later campaign).

Flora is composing a letter to Piercylwin, the touchy half-demon former villain, inquiring as to whether he'll aid them in the final fight. She words it carefully and diplomatically.

Daris adds, OOC, after she's dictated the letter, "Colon, end parenthesis."

The heroes and their legion find a resupply station set up by the otherwise-neutral Order of the Wish. They charge them a measly gold coin for enough supplies to last them months, then bid them farewell, with, "Have a happy siege!"

And of course the worst thing, is that treasure map supposed shows the way to the fountain of youth. :)

A voodoo priestess with access to that is scary - not just in keeping her young, but what kind of zombies could you make using the waters from the fountain of youth as a spell component.

Um, not to rain on your parade, but this post didn't seem very clear. Is there some reason you couldn't just put the car in reverse and drive away? Were you being chased?

Also, what was your decision? Did you ram the dumpster or do the two-wheel option? (Or something else?)

He was being chased by agents (who actually do have the Combat Driving skill) but he had a head start on them and was trying to use his knowledge of the city to his advantage. Basically, he knew which alleys he should be able to cut through to lose them. He just didn't take into account that the alley might have a partly full dumpster in it.

Now, he could have thrown it in reverse and probably would have still made it out, though the agents would have gained on him considerably. Or he could have rammed the dumpster, but that would have messed up his car and slowed him down. He also had the option of just stopping the car and trying to slip through one of the doors in the alley to hide, but then he would be on foot for the duration of the encounter.

Instead, he opted to try to pop it up on two wheels :)

I should point out that the character in question DOES NOT have Combat Driving, so I actually determined he needed a 6- to pull it off (probably should have been more, but I didn't have TUV on me to reference). Had he failed the roll, he would have just ended up ramming the dumpster anyhow.

I'm always pleased when the cool option works out in the players favor :thumbup: I just wish the other PC's had been around to actually see it happen in game :(

That's your 15 point curiosity talking. Your 3d6 Unluck may have a different opinion. :winkgrin:

I feel I should point out that my character has 3d6 of Luck, NOT Unluck. I NEVER buy Unluck for my PCs. When it comes to making rolls at critical times, the player has already demonstrated that he has at least a die or two of Unluck. To buy it for the character as well would just be redundant.

What Wild Card actually has is 3d6 Luck and a 15-point Curious Psych Lim. In many cases (like the one Lord Mhoram mentioned), they kind of cancel each other out. :)

And of course the worst thing, is that treasure map supposed shows the way to the fountain of youth. :)

A voodoo priestess with access to that is scary - not just in keeping her young, but what kind of zombies could you make using the waters from the fountain of youth as a spell component.

Anubis' Kull Warriors from Stargate SG-1 come to mind....

Wylodmayer started a Star Trek TNG campaign yesterday.

The PCs are:

Commander Solofa, the Executive Officer, who looks like The Rock, Lieutenant Sinclair the Chief of Security, who looks like Rhona Mitra,

and Lieutenant Commander T'shani, Chief of Sciences, who looks like Natalie Portman as a Vulcan

Here are some highlights:

----------------------------

Flight Deck Officer: Hey, shuttle Magellan, youre cleared to come in on...oh...lets say approach vector three. Yeah, three. Why not?

T'shani:*bothered by the apparent unprofessionalism* Operator, what is your name?

FDO: Cassie. Cassie Flynn. Whats yours? :)

T'shani: Lieutenant Commander T'shani.

FDO: Nice to make new friends. How are you?

T'shani: Vulcan. :straight:

FDO: Guess theres no point in asking if thats any fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

GM: Bonding over paperwork...it really -is- a military game!

-------------------------

[The discussion turns to how the recyclers work]

Sinclair (OOC): [Peter Lorre-type stalker] I want to drink the water recycled from Counselor Trois hot-tub :sneaky: [/Peter Lorre-type stalker]

The Rest of Us: :eek:

-------------------------

Merchant: I was -supposed- to hold onto this signed baseball for a Captain Sisko, from Deep Space Nine, but Ill let you have it now for a good price.

Solofa: Sisko? Ben Sisko? I went to the Academy with him. Good guy, but he wont shut up about Louisiana gumbo and baseball.

T'shani: I was not aware that baseballs were an ingredient in Louisiana gumbo.

GM: *rofl*

Solofa: Youre the first Vulcan Ive ever heard make a joke! :)

T'shani *deadpan*: Have I?

Solofa: ...AND been Zen! :D

--------------------------

[some of the Science department personnel have gotten into an impromptu debate over territorial markers and group identity boundaries. This all started when Ensign Wick accidentally started to put his stuff in the rather crotchety Dr Corrigan's office by mistake]

Ensign Wick: What? Am I seriously being asked a question? Do you really want my opinion, or is someone being -seriously- passive-aggressive?

He was being chased by agents (who actually do have the Combat Driving skill) but he had a head start on them and was trying to use his knowledge of the city to his advantage. Basically, he knew which alleys he should be able to cut through to lose them. He just didn't take into account that the alley might have a partly full dumpster in it.

Now, he could have thrown it in reverse and probably would have still made it out, though the agents would have gained on him considerably. Or he could have rammed the dumpster, but that would have messed up his car and slowed him down. He also had the option of just stopping the car and trying to slip through one of the doors in the alley to hide, but then he would be on foot for the duration of the encounter.

Instead, he opted to try to pop it up on two wheels :)

I should point out that the character in question DOES NOT have Combat Driving, so I actually determined he needed a 6- to pull it off (probably should have been more, but I didn't have TUV on me to reference). Had he failed the roll, he would have just ended up ramming the dumpster anyhow.

I'm always pleased when the cool option works out in the players favor :thumbup: I just wish the other PC's had been around to actually see it happen in game :(

It helps if we have something to do. =) I saw it, though.

It was pretty cool, and the only option, really. The rest of it made too much sense.

In situations where one has the option of the possibility of something really cool, even if it involves death and dismemberment, one should always opt for the cool, the daring, or even the idiotic. And, as you well know, that is my credo... even if it tends more towards the idiotic. :D

It helps if we have something to do. =) I saw it' date=' though.[/quote']

Yeah, sorry for the slow start :(

Soon we will be overflowing these boards with quotes about Red Earth, War World, head crabs, cuatropi and Hammer Space!

GM: You see a 1940's jeep roaring down the dusty road with a big burly sheriff armed with a tommy gun riding in the back and the mad scientist Dr Soras at the wheel.

Rocket Ranger: Well, there's something you don't see every day.

"What's that Edgar?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D