Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Your interpretation is far kinder than the original lyrics ;)

I'm chalking this up to 'Blinded by the light,' syndrome. IOW what the original lyrics were and what they actually sang are totally different (Listen to 'Blinded by the Light' and try your hardest to hear "Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night" Not possible. (Wikipedia says that the vocalist was actually singing 'revved up like a deuce' which you can hear, if you try very hard not to hear what most people think it is.). Which differs from Lady Montegreen syndrome (which is when you misinterpret a lyric (eg. "Hold me closer Tony Danza").

Anyway how does 'Own' and 'Scold' rhyme?

I'm chalking this up to 'Blinded by the light,' syndrome. IOW what the original lyrics were and what they actually sang are totally different (Listen to 'Blinded by the Light' and try your hardest to hear "Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night" Not possible. (Wikipedia says that the vocalist was actually singing 'revved up like a deuce' which you can hear, if you try very hard not to hear what most people think it is.). Which differs from Lady Montegreen syndrome (which is when you misinterpret a lyric (eg. "Hold me closer Tony Danza").

Anyway how does 'Own' and 'Scold' rhyme?

Bruce Springsteen's original lyric was "Cut Loose"...Manfred Manns' singer went with Revved up..which was apparently superior as it became a huge hit for them and I've only heard Springsteen's twice...

Ive got an evil brain that LOVES to mangle lyrics. Usually in "Weird Al" type ways.

Vixen's "Love made me blind to the truth" becomes "Love made me blonde to the roots".

Its been happening since I was a kid. The BeeGees "More than a woman (more than a woman to me)" became "Bald-headed wombat! (Bald headed wombat with fleas)".

It never ends.

My room mates have threatened me with violence if I dont keep this stuff to myself :hush::help::nonp:

Ive got an evil brain that LOVES to mangle lyrics. Usually in "Weird Al" type ways.

Vixen's "Love made me blind to the truth" becomes "Love made me blonde to the roots".

Its been happening since I was a kid. The BeeGees "More than a woman (more than a woman to me)" became "Bald-headed wombat! (Bald headed wombat with fleas)".

It never ends.

My room mates have threatened me with violence if I dont keep this stuff to myself :hush::help::nonp:

My brain is worse. It tortures me by translating songs I hear on the radio as sung by other people.

I was driving to work one day and the radio started playing "Hotel California." For some God-forsaken reason, my brain started singing along in a William Shatner voice:

"There she stood... inthedoorway,

I hearrrrd... a mission bell.

And I was thinking... to myself,

This... could be heaven... orthiscouldbehell."

I nearly ran off the road. :eek:

Then there was the time Sean Connery started singing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction"... :doi:

You don't need to mangle Bee Gees lyrics. A famous misheard one from 'How Deep is your love' should be 'And you come to me on a Summer Breeze' became 'And you come to me on a submarine....'

It never ends.

:hail:

My repstick's empty, %$#@-it! Somebody get this guy for me, huh?

More quotes from My Shadowrun 4 game.

------------------------

The team was hired by the leader of an anti-corp radical group to help in a multipronged attack on the establishment in Hong Kong. Their job is to infiltrate a power station and blow it up. So they come up with a plan ...

Lina (OOC): Why don't we get the two Elves to dress up like cowboys and tell the guard they are performing a birthday greeting for one of the employees?

Strange (OOC and one of the Elves in question): Yeah, 'cause the Elves can so totally pull off the John Wayne look. We need to steel a van and get it modified to say "Happy Trails Howdy Grams" or something.

Lina (OOC): Yeah, but this is Hong Kong, so we need to get a bad English translation, like "Joyous Trails Howdy Grams." You guys can go in there in your cowboy outfits and your little horse heads on a stick and whoop it up. :thumbup:

Bender (OOC): OK. So we find a costume shop -

Strange (OOC): Wait a minute! When did this become a real plan?! :nonp::help:

More quotes from My Shadowrun 4 game.

------------------------

The team was hired by the leader of an anti-corp radical group to help in a multipronged attack on the establishment in Hong Kong. There job is to infiltrate a power station and blow it up. So they come up with a plan ...

Lina (OOC): Why don't we get the two Elves to dress up like cowboys and tell the guard they are performing a birthday greeting for one of the employees?

Strange (OOC and one of the Elves in question): Yeah, 'cause the Elves can so totally pull off the John Wayne look. We need to steel a van and get it modified to say "Happy Trails Howdy Grams" or something.

Lina (OOC): Yeah, but this is Hong Kong, so we need to get a bad English translation, like "Joyous Trails Howdy Grams." You guys can go in there in your cowboy outfits and your little horse heads on a stick and whoop it up. :thumbup:

Bender (OOC): OK. So we find a costume shop -

Strange (OOC): Wait a minute! When did this become a real plan?! :nonp::help:

Just now. [/spaceballs]

much joy at the Middle Earth D20 game...

Cast: my Barbarian Ranger, "Gondor" the Warrior,

Snake the Wizard, and William the Rogue

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The PC party is hunting Umbar Pirates through a settlement they are raiding;

the locals are putting up heavy resistance:

DM: You see a lot of seamen scattered around the room.

Player1: "Naval Personnel", will ya ?!?!

Player2: Just call them "pirates" or "sailors" !

======================================

Big Bad Guy is grandstanding:

NPC: "Korabon shall not fall to the likes of you!"

Barbarian: "Ok by me, you can fall to my buddy Gondor just fine"

it was a heck of a fight, but we killed him.

========================================

William: "I'd kill these butt-holes even for minimum wage"

==========================================

Bad Guy Shaman conjures a spider demon, a very nasty thing to do in Middle Earth.

Later back at the town my Barbarian was raving:

"I saw the daughter of the black goddess and lived to tell about it"

=======================================================

The pirate raid interrupted a citizen meal, and so there was death and destruction in the feast hall.

While looking around, my barbarian ate the kebabs laying around somehow untouched in the carnage.

A heroic last stand was made by the citizens in their government hall,

so again, lots of dead pirates and carnage. Plus note the inhabitants

aren't good people, no friends of ours, we're just here to kill Corsairs.

Snake: "In the mayor's office we find a large cabinet labeled 'Bad Decisions'

======================================================

Finally we caught up with the surviving band of pirates who were busy negotiating with, but wanting

to kill, the surviving knot of citizens, and it was in a large throne room for this village's matriarch. The DM

describes a lot of pirate clerics, conjured bodyguards, the Pirate Queen, the crystal formations behind

the throne, high level Corsairs, and all the surviving citizens are spellcasters of one kind or another.

Barbarian(OOC): "my badge just turned completely black"

There's just 4 of us players, so Gondor hatches a plan, he imitates Korabon's voice (see above) and from

hiding yells out a question to the Pirate Queen:

"Have you offed their silly Matriarch yet? we need her jewels !"

Of course negotiations immediately broke down into a fight, making our job easier for us.

In this huge fight, Gondor and I have differing plans.

He wants to not kill the Pirate Healer, taking him prisoner,

and my Barbarian wants to take the Pirate Queen alive,

cause she's a fine feisty wench. Lots of comedy and miscues during battle.

=========================================================

We did kill off everyone but the matriarch, the healer, and the pirate queen,

and we hastily left her halls with a little loot and the 2 prisoners.

Gondor keeps track of party treasure normally, but I wrote down the queen's

name on my character sheet:

Barbarian(OOC) "I don't think I've ever written down a woman's name on my Loot Sheet before."

========================================================

There was a lot of fun roleplay, because the pirate queen had like ten levels of rogue plus a few levels of

pirate prestige class, so keeping her prisoner was a dicey propositon, and it took us five days to get back

to town with this wildcat in handcuffs. It would be like keeping track of Ziva, since you never know when you might wake up dead.

So the party thinks I'm crazy and stupid, and often reminds me that she is "my" prisoner. But I'm trying to

be nice to her, and calm her down. Cause last week she was the Pirate Queen, had a trio of ships, dozens

of loyal crew, a thieves guild reporting to her, treasure and magic items and prestige. This week, not so much,

and she's wearing just a bikini while being led around on a leash by a barbarian. Needless to say her mood is most foul.

Barbarian: Look, Princess, you've had your ships smashed, your loot scattered, your weapons taken,

your corsairs gutted, and your rep ruined in the guild. Now, If you escape me, and win your way back

to Umbar in triumph, that will be an epic tale.

But if you stay here as my concubine, that will also be an epic tail.

We had to buy a horse to bear the Pirate Queen:

Gondor: You can tell a lot about a person by the way a horse hates them and throws them to the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------

Finally we dropped off our loot with an Elven embassy that we trusted, asked them to deliver

some messages, and we left Pirate Queen in their keeping. as we ride out of town to our next adventure:

Gondor: "I'm glad we left her as prisoner to the Elves. They'll probably be able to change her to good,

and we can sleep easily at night without her in our camp."

Barbarian: "I shoulda plugged her"

====================================================

later on I'll have to tell you why my character is a true barbarian.

Re: much joy at the Middle Earth D20 game...

Cast: my Barbarian Ranger, "Gondor" the Warrior,

Snake the Wizard, and William the Rogue

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But if you stay here as my concubine, that will also be an epic tail.

Did you just call the pirate queen an epic piece of tail? If the former thou deserveth much REP!

Session Five of Farlanthia

"In Soviet Russia, undead turn you!"

"Open Grave the pop-up book"

One of the players comments on a low-budget zombie film: "It's a zombie film from the POV of the zombie."

This results in: "What? two hours of trying to cross the street?"

The GM to one of the PCs: "Wyk, I knew your father, he was a great halfling."

Calidore (OOC): "Does that mean he could be used two-handed?"

Na'yumi: "They'll let me in 'cause I'm pretty."

Anaé: "And I'm not?"

Rest of the table: "OOOooohhh!!!"

GM "He's a minion, all you need to do is kick him."

Wyk [very low on HP]: "All he needs to do is kick me!!!"

OOC comment on a random thug: "This was a nice town until those adventurers showed up."

Some quotes from this week's Cthulhu session, The Crawford Inheritance from Escape From Innsmouth , but first one I neglected to include from last weeks sadly sub-par Edge City 3D collection. ( We didn't even play our version of Game of Life in it's stead - darn, I was lookng forward to the Back To The Future, and Martian War Machines rules...)

We had arrived at the Gamer's Guild and almost immediately my wife and Barbara vdB starting talking about wool supplies.

Barbara vdB
: "I've never seen balls that big"

Everybody
:
*long pause*

Purrdence ( Lucy's player )
:
*starts to snigger*
:eg:

Me
:
*counts to ten*
"Two minutes. We're here for
two minutes

I haven't decided whether 'Always On' is an Advantage or Disadvantage on Purrdence's Smut Field.

The absence of the group's other elemental smut-being this week may or may not affect the game - the two together has a notably synergistic effect, but I fear Purrdence just stepped up the innuendo-power to compensate.

We play Chez Geek whilst we wait for players to turn up.

Me
:
*reading the 'Gaming Nookie' text*
" 'Hey baby, want to see my miniatures?' "

Purrdence
: "Isn't that a line you used on me?"

Me
:
*plays a fourth cat card*

Purrdence
: He likes pussy
*leers*

Me
:
smugly
Indeed I do
*plays next card - 'Nookie Monster'*

Anyway - the PCs continue to nibble away at the edges of my campaign's central horror - at its penumbra, as it were - but I'm still ensuring enough unrelated nightmares to keep them off balance. I'm also throwing in plenty of minor incidents in between sessions of play - minor incidents that will no doubt come back to bite them on the arse when they put two and two together. Purrdence is getting very suspicious about the way I grin broadly and giggle to myself when I think about up-coming sessions.

Me, GM
: "[Alexei's player] can't make it this week, alas."

Lucy, OOC
: "Darn, I'll have to get my booze elsewhere."

We're missing Dr Elliot's player too - he's been incapacitated by an unliving hybrid, monster - i.e. A flu virus.

The new P.I. never showed, either - perhaps he was got by a dimensional shambler.

On the other tentacle, we have another new player - my brother, a gamer of such masterful bastardry he has his own Livejournal tag ( you may have heard of some of his previous exploits, such as the Wimbledragon Tennis Open, Breeding Mimics for Fun & Profit, and the spell Mass Chicken). He also came to my wedding dressed as a Ringwraith. In the Cthulhu campaign he's playing an ex-army sapper, who now drives trucks and does quarrywork, operates steamshovels and the like, for a living. Sure, this gives the party access to explosives, but I'll be filing that under "Rope, Sufficiency Thereof"

GM, Me
: "You lost half a hand in the Great War, when one of your subordinates did something stupid with a satchel charge. Of course the subordinate lost half his head, but that's OK - he clearly wasn't using it."

He's been hired to drive the truck the party will be using to remove the warehouse contents and furnishings that Lucy's mother has apparently inherited in the shunned town of Innsmouth. Only the three PCs... But what could possibly go wrong? BWAHAHAHAHA

There was some initial confusion - Ian thought the campaign was set in Old England.

Me, GM
: "But you're not in Ireland anymore - you moved to America after the GREAT War - specifically, Arkham.

Paddy McGinty's player
: "Oh God."
:eek:

Sydney Delthorn, Scholar, OOC
: "There is no god here - only Cthulhu"

I describe the decaying town in some detail - the encroaching salt marsh, the abandoned farms swallowed by wind-blown sand, the town itself, half it's buildings empty and collapsing in ruin.

Paddy McGinty
: "Oh look, a slanty shanty."

An Innsmouth local
helpfully giving directions
: "Across the river and take the first left. Hancock street will be on your right."

McGinty's Player
to me, suspiciously
"The bridge
is
still standing, isn't it?"

Ian is playing McGinty as a cheerfully underhanded, argumentative drunk. All of it in the correct accent, too. I just wish someone had recorded more of his glowing report on Innsmouth to mob boss Dan O'Bannion.

Paddy McGinty
: "I'm in this little place called Innsmouth, have ye heard of it? Beautiful little place - three police in the whole town, empty warehouses all along the water there " etc.

Innsmouth Police
: "Where'd you git that axe?"

Paddy McGinty
: "From that shed right over there, ya see"

Innsmouth Police
: Then you're all under arrest for breaking and entering

Paddy McGinty
: Ah, but the shed's already falling down, ya see - no breaking anything to get in. So technically, that'd be 'entering with intent'.

Me, GM
: "...And the kitchen with the old upright stove that you're in."

Lucy Smith's Player
: "He's in the stove?"

Me, GM
: "The kitchen - he's in the
kitchen
"

The Esoteric Order of Dagon gets it's first mention, and three of us spontaneously burst into song.

"Daaaaagon. Da-aa-aa-gon...

Dagon's coming and me wanna go home.

DAY-aa-aa-aa-aa-aaaaa-gon...

Six-foot, seven-foot, eight-foot TEETH

No Mister Preacher-man, I am not bananas,

Dagon's coming and me wanna go home. "

Harry Belafonte is spinning in his grave

And now that we've got an argumentative Irish Protestant in a party that already had a Roman Orthodox, a Unitarian, a lapsed Catholic, and so on, we can expect more appallingly in-character arguments about religion as we got today

Lucy Smith
: "But I haven't been to church in ages!"

Paddy McGinty
: "So, you're not only a dirty catholic heathen...

Me, GM
: "...they aren't even a
good
dirty catholic heathen."

Sydney Delthorn, ( Unitarian )
meekly resigning himself to mediate
: "I guess I'll be baking some cookies then."

Paddy McGinty
regarding deceased npc
: She's gone to a better place... If she was Protestant.

My wife hasn't read much Lovecraft - so she's unaware of the history of Innsmouth and the biology of the Deep Ones. As such, she as yet has no idea why this line, about one Ralsa Marsh, great-grandson of Obed, reduced me to hysterics.

Lucy Smith
:
*sniffs*
Men like that never change.

McGinty, as part of his repairs to the house Lucy's mother has inherited, has declared war on the raccoon the PCs have assumed lives in the attic. This includes getting caught in his own improvised fish-hook lined raccoon-trap, setting off fireworks at 3 in the morning, and making home-made grenades from glass bottles stuffed with blackpowder and rusty nails.

The other player-characters are getting slightly annoyed with the explosions and gunfire late at night, and want to know why he's so enthusiastic with "His little bang-bangs"

Me, GM
: It's his wild Celtic spirit that loves to blow things up ... Just ask the IRA.

Continued next fortnight, when the PCs figure out it isn't a raccoon and go running for help.

And overheard from another table

Hagadorn
:
*after blowing both legs and an arm off a vampire*
"And now I'm splashing holy water on the stumps. 'The power of Christ compels you -
bitch
' "

This quote of the week, from our Shackleborn City D&D game, brought to you in the form of a webcomic. The guy playing the bard in the group made a comic on the very quote I was going to post, and since it's SO much better than I had transcribed...

http://comic.howansky.org/comic/being-the-bard

(There's a small typo in the first panel. Where it says "drarven" it should be "dwarven".)

The Esoteric Order of Dagon gets it's first mention, and three of us spontaneously burst into song.

"Daaaaagon. Da-aa-aa-gon...

DAY-aa-aa-aa-aa-aaaaa-gon...

Six-foot, seven-foot, eight-foot TEETH

No Mister Preacher-man, I am not bananas,

Dagon's coming and me wanna go home. "

Harry Belafonte is spinning in his grave

:nonp::eek::lol:

E'reway otnay orthyway!

E'reway otnay orthyway!

E'reway otnay orthyway!

From my Wyldstryke Universe campaign

Brickhouse and Crush, two female "brick" type characters are having sort of a girls night out and talking at a bar, trading stories.

Crush: You know what really sucks about having superhuman strength? Getting used to the fact that every geek in the area with a seismograph knows when you get lucky. There's even slang for it. "Bed Quakes".

Ah! I feel so stupid, I just got the reference in Brickhouse's name.