Who do you trust? Hero Board savants

This is a spinoff of the RPG.net thread with a similar name. I'll quote that thread's originator:

It dawned on me the other day that there are certain folk hereabouts who I can always count on to be well-informed, articulate, and passionate about certain games, settings, or systems. If I see one of these folk’s names in a thread, I pay special attention. Even if I disagree with their tastes or preferences, I know that they are not just going off half-cocked, or pimping the latest, shiniest, newest gew-gaw.

I nominate Killer Shrike for Fantasy Hero, Susano for anime, and Nu Soard Graphite for mecha.

Bob Greenwade for general read-worthiness.

Lord Liaden gets the all time grand champeen Hall of Fame award.

And Steve Long, without whom.

Re: Who do you trust? Hero Board savants

RPMiller for his tireless work on HD export templates.

Killer Shrike for his NCM export template web app thingy.

Dan Simon...for creating HD in the first place (and of course his winning personality :slap: )

This is not meant to be disparaging to either Chris Goodwin nor anyone else, but I don't want to put my list here because I don't want to sell anyone short.

There are those who seem to have a great deal of knowledge and experience with Hero System, Champions, Fantasy Hero and what-have-you, but their options and/or opinions aren't always my own. I've had questions answered by people I've never seen post before (or since, in some cases) and liked those answers better than those provided by the 'veterans'. Granted, the opinions of many of the folks already mentioned carry a great deal of weight, but I don't want to inhibit anyone else from answering questions or offering advice in the future, either.

This is not meant to be disparaging to either Chris Goodwin nor anyone else, but I don't want to put my list here because I don't want to sell anyone short.

There are those who seem to have a great deal of knowledge and experience with Hero System, Champions, Fantasy Hero and what-have-you, but their options and/or opinions aren't always my own. I've had questions answered by people I've never seen post before (or since, in some cases) and liked those answers better than those provided by the 'veterans'. Granted, the opinions of many of the folks already mentioned carry a great deal of weight, but I don't want to inhibit anyone else from answering questions or offering advice in the future, either.

I agree.

I agree as well. Besides, didn't we have one of these threads not too long ago already? (http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25918&highlight=nominate)

At this point, I really can't name anyone without true bias. Many of those I respect here I consider friends, and all of my friends here I respect and give extra attention to their posts.

For me to say there is a select group of 20 or so that I will always read their posts fully... that is absolutely true, even when I don't agree with them. Another five to ten where I skim or skip... based on my own perception that I don't value what they have to say. This is a much smaller list, because I've learned to turn around my perceptions of some over time.

There are folks who have a huge amount of detailed information that I respect, and have ZERO ability to project any kind of warmth or consideration for others in their posts. I don't care if they are totally correct, 100% of the time... I won't pay attention after a while.

Without a tone of respect for others (which takes a lot of effort in an online interface) I don't care WHAT they have to say. How they say it is the most critical factor.

I am new to the boards and fairly new to the game. So far, I have yet to meet anyone that ~isn't~ a class act. Though, Dust Raven, Lord Liaden, RDU Neil, Susano, Oddhat, Killershrike are some of the folks that I merit distinction.

And of course, I agree; Steve Long-without whom.

If I've left anyone off the list, it is because I was distracted by the attacking ninjas...

Why thank you!

I am deeply honored to be recognized by someone as noteworthy as yourself.

I have to echo the sentiments of others in this thread and say that there are simply far too many members of this board who contribute useful material on a regular basis to list properly. This is by far the most productive RPG message board I've ever been a member of. In fact, these days its the only RPG message board I even bother to visit regularly.

And I do apologize for the lack of mecha write-ups from me lately, but as I have much lamented lately, I've been experiencing computer troubles recently and am unable to spend the time online necessary to do such things properly. (I use my roomates computer. I try not to spend more than 1 or 2 hours a day on it, since its in their bedroom!)

I intend to remedy this once I get moved to San Diego, however.

It's a tough question to answer, the list is literally too long for me to put down and I wouldn't even want to try since I would inevitably leave a name or two off of it by mistake. Without a doubt, the Hero Games board is one of the best communities to be in. Everyone is very helpful, knowledgable and hardly ever prone to Troll-like behavior (NGD aside :) )

Truth is, I'm always surprised by who responds and who has the most insight into a subject, it's hardly ever the same person twice. A real merry-go-round of geniuses hang around here. :thumbup:

I second Killer Shrike.

Shadowcat1313 and Eodin for anything Star Hero-related, especially TravellerHERO.

Thanks! :)

I have to agree that there are a lot of talented people on this Board, and I tend to read all opinions so I can learn something new. If I'm skimming, I'll definitely give more view time to a few people, like Bob Greenwade, Lord Liaden, Keith Curtis, and Susano just to name a few.

I'm very flattered that some people here have singled me out and ranked me in the company of posters whom I greatly esteem; and I understand and appreciate the motivation behind Chris Goodwin's creating this thread - to acknowledge those posters who have earned our particular respect. However, I'm also sympathetic to folks who have reservations about creating a specific thread for this purpose.

When I've been lucky enough to say something here that one of my boardmates considers noteworthy, I've received Reputation points with a complimentary comment attached, or sometimes a followup post or a Private Message. These have provided more than enough recognition and ego-boosting. ;) Personally I'd prefer to receive any such generous accolades on a case-by-case basis rather than be generally lauded in a topic like this, when there have been so many people who have contributed to our community who will likely be overlooked.

Thanks from me as well. And to think I'd handed back my Hero System Expert pin when 5ER came out... :)

But I would like to point out a very important group of posters that I always pay attention too for invariably they have something worth reading. Anyone with less than 50 posts. The newbies never fail to ask that one question that has never been asked, or at least ask it in such a different way that it makes all of us veterans rethink our opinions of a rule or two. I love it when that happens.

I look for 1) people I'm not familiar with - they are more likely to say something I haven't heard before.

I agree with Dust Raven's point that the new people usually have more questions about whatever "blind spots" in the system we might have picked up than those who have been fiddling with it longer. Always interesting to see someone trying to create something for the "first" time.

2) People with an understanding of how to divide sentences into paragraphs.

Agreed. I spent too much time correcting other people's spelling and grammar; it affects my reading habits. No paragraph breaks in a document actually repulses me; I can't bear to look at it. And too many typos will do the same thing. I don't care if you're Shakespeare holding a lost sonnet in your hand; if I can't stomach your abysmal spelling and near-utter lack of grammar comprehension, I'm not going to read your stuff.

I've noticed this a lot with fanfics (surprise :rolleyes: ). What may very well be an interesting story, with a new look at characters and situations I'd never considered, is lost to my eye for lack of a spell and grammar checker.

I'm glad this conversation/thread has remained civil. I'm always worried that threads like these end up focusing on "who was not listed" over lauding people for real contributions. Also, "trust" is a very slippery word.

I could very well understand some folks not "trusting" my comments, because I'm not one to quote rules chapter and verse and I believe in "open interpretation" rather than literal translation. This probably rubs some folks the wrong way.

I'd like to think that I'm very open about my methodology (or lack thereof :o )

and that folks come to understand that my comments are not meant to say "Here is the one right way you must follow!" :thumbdown but rather... "Here is what I think. Here is why it works for me. Here is where it can break down, but try it out and see what you think." :thumbup:

To me... IMO and YMMV are not just half-ass disclaimers... they are critical to real discourse.

Also... agreeing with Lord Liaden that rep is a good thing. It gives that positive feedback, without excluding others. Private lauding over public, yet having a public effect. Too many times, trying to publicly set some folks on high is really an exercise in exclusion of others. Not a place I'd like to go.

So... my thanks to any and all people who post on these boards with the intention of being a positive addition to the community. In the end, THAT is what I trust... the community as a whole.

It is a considerable list, and I tend to agree, but I am surprised (even though he hasn't been posting recently) not to have seen Derek Heimforth's name here yet. He's probably given me more 'slaps forehead' moments than most. Also zornwil hasn't been mentioned and he is always a reliable source of interest and inspiration, even though, again, he hasn't been posting much recently...

...I think I'm seeing a pattern...

Thanx to all the people that said nice things about me :D

For me, I cant recall all the people off hand that I pay attention to, but the list definitely includes Derek Heimforth, Lord Liaden, Enforcer, OddHat, Gary, Dan Simon, Susano, AgentX, and RP Miller among others. Im all about the content, and all of them put out content in one form or another that grabs my attention, be it characters (Enforcer & OddHat), applications and utilities (Dan & RP Miller), conversions (Susano), links (LL), general interpretations of campaign themes and scope of play (AgentX, Derek H.), or interesting explorations of esoteric rules implications (Gary).

There are others of course, but thats the list of posters who I always make a point out of reading their responses.

Who do you trust? Hero Board servants

Honestly, and this is not meant as a slight to anyone, I can not think of anyone that I pay 'special' attention to.

I am rather picky about which threads I go into, so if I am in there, I am curious to see what everyone that has posted has to say. I have no problem repping someone one thread and bashing them in another. Maybe that is why I tend not to take things too personally. I hate the post, not the person.