• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Tim Curry: Rocky Horror (and a couple of music videos that my local theater normally ran beforehand), Annie, Clue, Worst Witch, Red October, Loaded Weapon, Home Alone 2, Musketeers, Shadow, Congo, Muppet Treasure Island, Charlie's Angels, and a few TV appearances.

Never saw Legend or It. I heard that he played Gomez Addams in some TV special that I would love to see. And I could swear that he did the voice for Thrakazog in The Tick, but it wasn't really him.

1b51c514153da2a54d01ad9484f13592-d5ky45l.jpg

Bethe's got some awesome hair going there :)

Bethe was also quite a joker, and got involved in one of George Gamow's pranks, when the latter's student Ralph Alpher was publishing a hugely influential paper on the production of Hydrogen, Helium, and heavier elements in the Big Bang. The paper, naturally, promptly became known as the Alpha-Beta-Gamma paper.

to quote Gamow -

[TABLE=class: cquote]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]“[/TD]

[TD]The results of these calculations were first announced in a letter to The Physical Review, April 1, 1948. This was signed Alpher, Bethe, and Gamow, and is often referred to as the 'alphabetical article.' It seemed unfair to the Greek alphabet to have the article signed by Alpher and Gamow only, and so the name of Dr. Hans A. Bethe (in absentia) was inserted in preparing the manuscript for print. Dr. Bethe, who received a copy of the manuscript, did not object, and, as a matter of fact, was quite helpful in subsequent discussions. There was, however, a rumor that later, when the alpha, beta, gamma theory went temporarily on the rocks, Dr. Bethe seriously considered changing his name to Zacharias. The close fit of the calculated curve and the observed abundances is shown in Fig. 15, which represents the results of later calculations carried out on the electronic computer of the National Bureau of Standards by Ralph Alpher and R. C. Herman (who stubbornly refuses to change his name to Delter.)

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]”[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As I said, I first saw Tim Curry in RHPS, but as an individual actor he didn't make much of an impression on me in it. I'd say the first time I was cognizant of Tim Curry as Tim Curry the actor was in the TV series Wiseguy. I had seen him before that in Legend but again he hadn't made an impression on me as himself though I love the part and the film. It wasn't until after seeing him in Wiseguy and then watching Legend again that I was gobsmacked that he played Darkness.

Coincidentally, I watched Moby Dick (the 1950s version) while waiting to see the dentist yesterday. I got there early so I was able to finish the movie.

Ray Bradbury collaborated with director John Huston on the screenplay. Gregory Peck, who preferred more morally upright characters, did not enjoy playing Ahab but that did not stop him from doing a masterful job. I wonder what happened to all the meat in a whale caught in those times after the blubber (the object of the exercise) had been carved off and boiled into the oil that would be sold when the ship returned to port. Did the crew eat it, or was it thrown back into the sea (or both -- there's a lot of meat on a whale)?

Coincidentally, I watched Moby Dick (the 1950s version) while waiting to see the dentist yesterday. I got there early so I was able to finish the movie.

Ray Bradbury collaborated with director John Huston on the screenplay. Gregory Peck, who preferred more morally upright characters, did not enjoy playing Ahab but that did not stop him from doing a masterful job. I wonder what happened to all the meat in a whale caught in those times after the blubber (the object of the exercise) had been carved off and boiled into the oil that would be sold when the ship returned to port. Did the crew eat it, or was it thrown back into the sea (or both -- there's a lot of meat on a whale)?

Both, but mostly thrown back.

If the whaling ship was keeping close to port and had provisioned for it (not unknown) they would take whale meat back with them. This was more often (though still rarely) the case for whaling based out of the Cape (Cape Cod) and nearby islands that made their living off the whaling industry early on. As other ports you had to go further afield to find whales.

But whalers were most concerned with blubber and ivory.

If I recall correctly, Sperm Whale meat is mostly inedible. I'm not sure about the rest of the whales, but I'm fairly sure Bowhead, Right, Humpback, and so on are edible, and those whales that washed ashore were consumed by the locals.

I'm going to hold out for the second series and hope they'll include Lavoisier.

From astrophysics, I'd add Cecelia Payne, Vera Rubin, Arno Penzias, Robert Wilson, Harlow Shapley, and perhaps Maarten Schmidt, from nuclear physics I'd add Ernest Rutherford, from solid-state physics John Bardeen, and from molecular biology I'd add Francis Crick and James Watson.