Best published adventure

L.Craig

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best published adventure

If the group already has a rationale for coming together as a team, I think that The Island of Dr. Destroyer makes a great one- or two-session adventure. It's pretty straightforward and can be used to introduce Dr. D to a campaign at a power level where even beginning heroes have a chance against him.

If you want a good motivation to draw your heroes together, I favor VOICE of Doom. The plight of the Freedom Squad makes a fine team-forming rationale, and gives you an established basis to build your PC team on if desired.

Both of these are for Third Edition Champions. IIRC TIODD is in the Online Store, as part of the 3E GM's Screen, and pretty cheap. OTOH there are very extensive 5E updates to VOICE right here on the discussion boards.

Other good ones IMHO:

Target Hero

Just change Demon to a more generic high tech organisation and your ready to go. Also it has an NPC that needs the heroes help. (Make him one of the PCs to really tie it in.)

Shadows in the City

This one is actually three campaigns in one. The Brother M story line (the main one) has a grat start point that you can use to introduce a villainous agency/ villain group.

If you can find it Atlas Unleashed is another that introduces a villian agency with supers backup. It will need extencive modification though cause the agency itself is tied to Cold War US vs USSR politics.

As I said, just MHO.

No kudos for Champions Battelgrounds?

Don't own it, but was just was run through it; wasn't impressed.

Most of the scenarios had interesting premises (esp The Theme Park scenario), but were very weak in execution. Too much "railroading" and all of the scenarios seemed "event driven" (the PCs have to wait for something to happen) and didn't seem to have any avenues for PC investigation.

Some of this might be attributable to the GM, but he seemed to be very much into the module and not lazy about this kind of stuff.

I think it's strengths might be in providing reusable locations for future games.

On the other hand, Villainy Amok looks very cool (especially the new "fire rules").

Some past favorites:

Voice Of Doom

The Great Super-Villain Contest

To Serve And Protect.

Around 4th edition on, the modules became substantially weaker (although oddly, the sourcebooks like Classic Enemies and Classic Organizations were fantastic.).

Im trying to figure out what is the best published champions adventure to start a campaign with. It can be any edition

Pick up Villainy Amok and randommly pick a chapter.

So far as old stuff goes, I particularly enjoyed To Server and Protect, Target: Hero, Wrath of the Seven Horsemen, and Wings of the Valkyrie.

Champions Presents had a fun three scenarios. Second Shadows of the City, although that's more Dark Champions. Day of the Destroyer is great, but not as a starting scenario (IMHO). I've never seen The Island of Doctor Destroyer - would love to have a go at that.

Edit: To Serve And Protect was also cool, although The Proctectors, as stated, would completely own a starting group. So they're good to have around as an established team in previous adventures, so that when your PCs are up to scratch, the impact will be that much more...

White Plume Mountain!

Oh wait...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Enforcer84 again.

Cuz we all know Blackrazor was off the hook yo.

As to my faves for Champs modules:

Target Hero

The Seven Horsemen

To serve and protect

"Wrath of the Seven Horsemen" and "To Serve and Protect" are excellent but you'll probably need to ramp down the opposition.

"Island of Dr Destroyer" and "Viper's Nest" are relatively straightforward and can make for a good primer on combat.

Story-wise, "Crisis at Crusader's Citadel" might be your best bet to start a campaign. Unfortunately it's a V&V module. But I'd be surprised if nobody already converted it! Alternatively, "VOICE of Doom" has a similar "help out an extablished group" theme and is an outstanding module on its own.

"Day of the Destroyer" might be my favorite Champions module ever, but I feel it works best as the climatic conclusion of a campaign rather than the start.

I loved "Shades of Black" and "Shadows of the City" but they are rather grim in tone.

I'm somewhat suprised nobody mentioned "Coriolis Effect" yet.

For a starting group? Island of Dr. Destroyer.

My personal favorites? The Great Supervillain Contest, Deathstroke, Shades of Black.

Terrible yet fun: Bad Medicine for Dr. Drugs. Great if you go campy. Frankly the worst adventure I can remember, but it has potential.

I've got tons that I haven't had a chance to run yet. Especially the newer ones.

"Wrath of the Seven Horsemen" and "To Serve and Protect" are excellent but you'll probably need to ramp down the opposition.

"Island of Dr Destroyer" and "Viper's Nest" are relatively straightforward and can make for a good primer on combat.

Story-wise, "Crisis at Crusader's Citadel" might be your best bet to start a campaign. Unfortunately it's a V&V module. But I'd be surprised if nobody already converted it! Alternatively, "VOICE of Doom" has a similar "help out an extablished group" theme and is an outstanding module on its own.

"Day of the Destroyer" might be my favorite Champions module ever, but I feel it works best as the climatic conclusion of a campaign rather than the start.

I loved "Shades of Black" and "Shadows of the City" but they are rather grim in tone.

I'm somewhat suprised nobody mentioned "Coriolis Effect" yet.

I loved Coriolis Effect. Lot's of drama, legacy hero potential, Dr. Strange style magic users and extradimensional beings. And I loved Glen's art. Can't believe I forgot it.

Story-wise' date=' "Crisis at Crusader's Citadel" might be your best bet to start a campaign. Unfortunately it's a V&V module. But I'd be surprised if nobody already converted it! Alternatively, "VOICE of Doom" has a similar "help out an extablished group" theme and is an outstanding module on its own.[/quote']

If you need loose conversions of the principal characters, you can find them in the V&V conversion section of my website. IIRC, they'd be a good challenge for a starting 350 point group if encountered as they were in the original module.

EDIT: Actually, belay that. I just looked again and I have them at a much later date in the 425 or so point range. Nothing to see here, move along.

Hmm...I just realized in 20 odd years, I have only ran one published adventure, the Rev M part of Shadows of the City. I have purchased almost all of them but never used 'em. So any preference I have is purely from the 'how much stuff did I use out of it' point of view. That beng said, my favorite would be The Zodiac Conspiracy. Taurus and Carpricorn have become recurring figures in my campaign to the point I tend to play them as PCs.

I recommend "Atlas Unleashed" as a good one for starting a campaign; there is a built-in origin for PCs if you want to use it. Road Kill isn't a great adventure (having to rescue a boy-band from a heavy metal villain group is a tough moral decision for many people), but it's reasonably low-powered for a beginning group. You could also use the Mystic Masters book, even if it's based in comic-book magic; the opening scene could be modified or even used as is for a fledgling team.

Hmm...I just realized in 20 odd years' date=' I have only ran one published adventure, the Rev M part of [i']Shadows of the City[/i]. I have purchased almost all of them but never used 'em. So any preference I have is purely from the 'how much stuff did I use out of it' point of view. That beng said, my favorite would be The Zodiac Conspiracy. Taurus and Carpricorn have become recurring figures in my campaign to the point I tend to play them as PCs.

As I've said in the past, I've never read Zodiac Conspiracy, as it was claimed by one of the other GM's in our group, but the way it played out it was EXTREMELY frustrating to a team of 400-450 point experienced Supers. Frustrating enough to drive otherwise good roleplayers to fits of homocidal rage that ended with the scenario being aborted due to our aquired first responce being to use the greatest amount of force possible everytime Zodiac showed their heads.

They may have been neat characters, and perhaps they represented some noble goal they had to keep secret (or perhaps you like playing villians), but its not what comes to mind when I think of a good first scenario.

That said, I'll second the Corriollis Effect ;)