Darkstars -

http://www.mykey3000.com/cosmicteams/cosmic/d.html

Checkmate! -

http://www.mykey3000.com/cosmicteams/profiles/index.html

Starman (Will Payton) -

http://www.dcuguide.com/profile.php?name=starman5

Patriots by Wildstorm -

http://www.comicvine.com/the-patriots/49-6433/

Savage Dragon #13 - This is the Image X issue of Savage Dragon, by Brandon Choi & Jim Lee. During a police stake-out, Grifter of the WildC.A.T.S does battle with Spetsnaz, a Russian mercenary that works for the extra-terrestrial creature Demonseed. Dragon and Alex Wilde intercede, but Spetznaz escapes. Eventually, Dragon and Grifter locate and defeat Spetznaz, and Demonseed escapes. Grifter and his girlfriend Alica return to New York. [Liked the Art and Story even if it was a little over the top.]

And many more...

My Top Ten Favourite Comic Book Characters that I miss

01. Ferrin Colos, Darkstars - Poorly executed death of the Darkstars

02. Will Payton, Starman - Retconned into ridiculousness

03. Shaman's Tears - Never fully realized.

04. John Reed, Checkmate! Pawn then Knight - A favourite character from one of my favourite series.

05. Jon Sable, Freelance - Never fully realized.

06. Col. Travis Morgan, The Warlord - Never them same after Mike Grell left.

07. Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern/Ion - Never fully realized.

08. Conner Hawk, Green Arrow II - Never fully realized

09. Steve Rogers, Captain America - Never consistent writing and too much Retconning.

10. Dick Grayson, Nightwing - Why cannot the writers realize that exceeded Batman combat wise years ago. For crying out loud he has fought, survived, and won in God Wars, Alien Invasions, Dimensional Invaders, etc... There is now way some noob is gonna take him down even with surprise.

Cheers

QM

P.S.: WTF is up with Deathstroke: The Terminator. I mean the Teen Titans Seniors and JLA. No freaking way.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

8. Conner Hawk, Green Arrow II - Never fully realized

9. Steve Rogers, Captain America - Never consistant writing and too much Reconning.

10. Dick Grayson, Nightwing - Why cannot the writers realize that exceeded Batman combat wise years ago. For crying out lound he has fought, survived, and won in God Wars, Alien Invasions, Dimensional Invaders, etc... There is now way some noob is gonna take him down even with surprise.

I think they should allow Conner Hawke to get away from being Green Arrow, just as they allowed Dick Grayson and Roy Harper to get new identities. Though I wish Arsenal did not spend all his time getting his butt kicked. You have to wonder why someone hasn't just taken him aside and said, "this may not be the gig for you." I haven't seen him win a single fight in any title he has appeared in recently, unless I missed something.

Captain America is one of the flagship characters at Marvel. I hope they remember that and start treating him that way again. Brubaker seems to be doing that with this whole Winter Soldier storyline.

"Leave It To Chance". Loved the background of hte city, "Georgie" the miniature dragon, the supporting cast and most particularly Chance Falconer herself ! I would have though that the comic would have appealed to teenaged girls but either there aren't enough of this demographic or it didn't appeal because the comic seems to have died again ! Damn !

Oh, by the way, I also loved the Elementals. I wish they would bind that up into a trade paperback one day. I would be all over it.

Does anyone else remember Dial H for Hero? Kids would send in their ideas for superheroes, and the lead characters would dial them up on their magic dials. They would actually become these sometimes very lame heroes for an adventure. They did a modern version of it that wasn't bad, but I missed the cheesy Silver Age feel of the older ones.

I was a huge Elementals fan; never thought of it as obscure. :)

Willingham hasn't done much since that I really liked, but the Elementals were a great title. More so if you were playing "spot the V&V links".

Grendel and Mage also rocked. Never really liked the follow up title to Mage.

Pretty obscure, really but I really like the short-lived comic Zenith - a british superhero strip that mixed WW2-era heroes, modern day heroes and Lovecraft-inspired bad guys. Snappy dialogue, nice clean (but not great) B/W artwork and well-defined characters.

I stole whole chunks of this for the occasional supers game I ran, mixing it with the immortals from my own fantasy game.

Actually I wasn't the only one who loved Zenith. The character was apparently quite popular and there have at least a couple of attempts to spin it off into its own series but they never came to anything, which is kind of surprising since it was written by Grant Morrison who has done Animal Man, JLA and a bunch o' other stuff for DC.

cheers, Mark

Wally Wood's THUNDER Agents. Yep, it's definitely Silver Age & fairly cheesy in retrospective but I absolutely loved it when I was reading it back in the 60s when it originaly came. out. There's been a couple of attempts to bring it back by various companies (including a 1-shot by Marvel) but so far nothing's lasted more than 2 issues. Fortunately, DC has collected the original issues & the spin off magazines (Dynamo & Noman) in a set of 6 hardbound books. Considering the talent in the books I'm surprised it didn't do better when it came out. Favorite to agents were Lightning & Dynamo & The Raven had energy claws on his hands befrore Wolverine was a thought in Claremon'ts eye.

Visionaries-10 issues

Was that the one based on the series of toys / cartoon of the post-apocalyptic knights that had holograms on their chests that gave them special powers? If so I remember the comics as being kind of cool too.

Back when I was a kid and still collected I really liked Rai and the Future Force, the original Secret Weapons, Harbingers, X.O. Manowar, Magnus Robot Fighter, Eternal Warrior, Archer & Armstrong, and H.A.R.D. Corps but none of my friends would get into Valiant comics at all. On the Marvel side I liked the New Mutants until Liefeld ruined them, and I was a huge New Warriors fan. I also went out of my way to pick up Classic X-Men when they were in print, which I liked much better than the then current runs.

I like lower powered / underdog supers basically.

Thriller from DC - just an offbeat series with some neat little concepts that was never really given a chance

Blackwulf from Marvel - Focused somewhat on the Deviants from Kirby's Eternal's cosmology, and introduced what could have been a major Marvel villain, Lord Tantalus.

and little known indy book from the 80s, Power Plays by Mike Kelly, originally published by AC Comics. Funny and well drawn and had some original powers and situations. Plus, the second issue had a hilarious sendup of three prominent X-Men who looked like the Three Stooges.

4. John Reed' date=' Checkmate! Pawn then Knight - A favourite character from one of my favourite series.[/quote']

Maybe the new Checkmate series will use the character.

6. Col. Travis Morgan' date=' The Warlord - Never them same after Mike Grell left.[/quote']

Didin't DC just start another Warlord series?

7. Kyle Rayner' date=' Green Lantern/Ion - Never fully realized.[/quote']

Ion's getting a new mini in the near future (12 issues IIRC)

8. Conner Hawk' date=' Green Arrow II - Never fully realized[/quote']

Following recent GA events, I think we may have lost Conner.

This would generally be comic series that weren't given much of a chance, not the ones that went 60 plus issues, but say under 20 issues or so.

The MC2s A-Next series - only lasted 12 issues. It came out about the same time the Busiek/Perez Avengers run was beginning and I was starting to check out some other titles and get back into comics again. Just when I started to get into a brand new series with great art by Frenz they ditch it.

The Champions of Los Angeles - this came out when I first started getting into comics in the mid-70s and only last about 13 issues or so I believe. It probably doesn't stand up now, but it was one of those standout series that sucked me into comic books. I enjoyed reading mythology so I was fixated on Hercules and I remember thinking Ghost Rider looked cool.

Anyone else?

Haven't read the whole thread, but guaranteed, if I liked a series, it was over soon afterward.

Chase is the first one that pops to mind. Brilliant writing and art. Great character and dialogue. Doomed.

Recently, Bloodhound fell into this category. It was a solid, noirish take on crime/investigation in a supers world. Totally that kind of comic that could be reflective of the kind of games I run or would love to play in.

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt Lost in the early '90s speculative period.

Black Condor Same as PC:T.

Route 666 from the now defunct CrossGen.

Chain Gang War From the awful "Az-Bat" period, but a solid look at normals trying to be vigilantes in a supers world. Avoided the "I'm badass just 'cause I have a gun" and was actually something of a backhanded indictment of the whole Iron Age mentality back then.

Pantheon Bill Willingham's indie take on supers. Much in the vein of his Elementals series (which I still mourn... damn Comico to hell) but self contained. Still trying to get issue 12, but it was such a small print run I can't seem to track down the issue my LCS missed.

The Thanos series was great. There aren't enough good star-spanning superhero books. I loved the idea of this former villain on a quest for redemption, the plots involving Gladiator, Galactus (and a forgotten herald of sorts) and the use of Pip the Troll, whom I used to find annoying but here thought he was a nice counterpoint to the grim Thanos.

I'll second the Icon and Black Hood. :(

I love the concept of the Black Hood they did for that series. Would make for a great TV show. (for those who don't know, the Hood itself was magical, and would give the wearer extra abilities, etc. and influence them to varying degrees. Over the course of the series, several different "hosts" for the Hood, who all acted differently, etc.)

Whoa... how could I forget the Milestone comics??

I guess my friends and I really liked 'em, so I didn't think they qualified... but of course...

Icon, Static, and especially Blood Syndicate. All of these were tremendous comics.

Wow, bringing back memories. One series I liked was the Priest series Xero: it was about a high level operative who would be brought into for the toughest jobs. Just a spy persay since, in Xero's words, "spooks are a dime a dozen." Also, it's tough to be a spy when you're a 6'5" man with blond hair. Of course, under the mask, he was actually black and a famous basketball player. Some whacky concepts to be sure but it was an interesting read.

The Milestone series was nice too, especially Icon.

Xero was quite good. Excellent Chris Cross art (who got his start on Blood Syndicate for Milestone.)

Fem Force

Never much liked the Comic, but the FemForce RPG was actually fairly good for its time. First time I saw Hero Points used in a Supers RPG, good range of Champions-inspired/cribbed powers, good enough world background. Combat took forever, and iir it was a "You're fine until you're dead" system.

Never much liked the Comic' date=' but the FemForce RPG was actually fairly good for its time. First time I saw Hero Points used in a Supers RPG, good range of Champions-inspired/cribbed powers, good enough world background. Combat took forever, and iir it was a "You're fine until you're dead" system.[/quote']

Only RPG I've ever seen where the writeups included the heroine's "vital statistics".:D

Grendel and Mage also rocked. Never really liked the follow up title to Mage.

Mage: The Hero Defined lost a lot of the spark from the first series. I wasn't impressed by it as much as I was by Mage. Supposedly, Mage: The Hero Denied will complete the arc.

Anyone else recall Hero Sandwich or Fusion? The former was a hilarious superhero(?) comic that lasted about 3-5 issues. The latter was an Eclipse title set in the far future. It featured Lela Dowling and Steve Gallici (spelling?) and was a great source of Star HERO ideas.

Oh, there was some title (name I can't recall) about 5-7 people fighting over a series of gates within some city. There was the female ganger leader who was powered by rock, punk, and goth. The female "white witch," the male dragon, the male king/warlord, and a Termenator-esque warmachine from the future. Art by Dennis Beuvarius (spelling?).

How about Busiek's Power Company from a few years back? To me, that comic exemplified what a "modern four color" Champions game should be like. Every character easily 350 points or so... none of them mega-top dogs of the universe, but competent and intereseting characters in and of themselves. Enough modern day human drama and rough edges to make them seem "real" but not angst and grit for it's own sake Iron Age stuff.

Solid stuff... not great but very enjoyable.