Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Starlord

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

I was a huge fan of the Ostrander - Mark Shaw Manhunter... but the current Kate Spencer work is amazing. One of the best female characters since Chase... and guess who is a guest star quite often... CHASE!

One of my favorite books right now.

Shogun Warriors only lasted 25 issues, darn it. That was a fun series.

I'll second Elementals, though it sometimes suffered from Willingham's utter disdain for people who buy comics.

And the Elemental Sex Specials, of course.

..........What??:D

I'm with you Black Omega! I used to love the Shogun Warriors as a kid, and frequently attempted to draw the robots depicted in that comic on my own. great stuff!

I was a huge fan of the Ostrander - Mark Shaw Manhunter... but the current Kate Spencer work is amazing. One of the best female characters since Chase... and guess who is a guest star quite often... CHASE!

One of my favorite books right now.

Wait... What? Chase is showing up in Manhunter?

I need to check that out!!!

• 3 months later...

I liked deMattheis' Seekers, sadly apparently I was the only one.

Ostrander's Wastelands was excellent and died far prematurely.

I felt Sable got enough respect and audience, didn't it go downhill in audience largely because Grell spent less time on it? Anyway, yes, I liked that, if it wasn't popular then I guess I should include it.

Johnny Nemo never got the popularity it deserved. Same with the Metal Men, who then got ruined along the way in attempts to generate popularity.

Ostrander's Spectre series also didn't last as it should have.

I thought Wild Dog was great but it never took off besides the limited run.

I also liked Impact Comics, most of the series anyway. DC seemed foolish in that they should have realized a new universe would take years to take off. Clearly they weren't up to a serious effort.

I liked Justice out of the Marvel New Universe titles.

Axel Pressbutton and Lazer Eraser never got the audience I thought it should.

Talking as a New Zealander,I have to mention Captain Sunshine.It was a very short-lived comic designed to promote solar energy,and was about an alien who came to earth in a sentient spaceship to save the planet.Aside from the spaceship,his only powers were Flash (from his belt-buckle) and the ability to communicate with sentient beings (despite being humanoid,he much preferred dolphins to human beings).

Hey all,

Coming late to the party.

I was a HUGE fan of the whole Impact! Comics line. I collected them all, but apparently I was one of a few. My favorites were The Comet and The Fly. It was classic comics in the midst of the speculative period: a breath of fresh air.

The most recent Spectre series with Hal Jordan was one of my favorite series ever. As a big fan of the Jim Corrigan Spectre, I went in expecting the worst and at first it seemed like I was correct to worry, but after the first two story arcs, the series really took off...too late, sadly.

Showing my age here I know but I can remember reading what became known as the "Impact" heros when they were first created by Archie Comics (which called its superhero line "Mighty Comics", and didn't THAT piss off Stan Lee !):rolleyes:

Not superhero-ish but....does anyone else recall:

"The Secret Six"

Published circa 1966 (or so) it had a sort of "Mission: Impossible" feel to it

and a variety of nifty gadgets (wristwatch TV communicators, a big

old prop driven airplane with VTOL capability (the wings and engine pylons

rotated...similar to the Osprey but much, much bigger), etc). :thumbup:

I believe it only lasted about six issues. :(

-Carl-

I loved some of the sci-fi stuff they brought out in the 80's and 90's, but it's like I was the only one.

Electric Warrior from DC was an excellent piece, but it only ran 12 issues. At least they ended it, unlike Open Space by Marvel, where they just never published the last issue.

"Blue Beetle" circa 1987-ish.

I didn't really notice the "Booster Gold" book until it neared the end of it's run.

"Starman" -the Will Payton character - Roger Stern and Tom Lyle at first - went 44 issues - gets no respect from DC today.

"Young Justice" - yeah, it went 53 issues, but they still saw fit

"Young Heroes in Love"

"The Defenders/The Order" the mid-to-late-90s Larsen and Busiek run.