Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Starlord

Re: Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Just as a note (in a depressing sort of way)... look at the average age of those of us posting to this thread. Not everynoe is listing their age, but nobody who is is younger than 31 and most of us are 38-40, with a couple folks in their 50s.

Gah... young folks these days. Whadda they know from comic books?!?!!?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albedo Anthropomorphics (I wish Gallacci could have earned his keep on those)

Zaibatsu Tears (some really good cyberpunk, who cares if the characters were all talking animals?)

I also like both those comics, but Albedo is being (sporadically) published yet again by Shanda Fantasy Arts. I don't know how many issues they have available, though I think that Rabbit Valley (http://www.rabbitvalley.com) might have them.

Anyone else recall Hero Sandwich or Fusion? The former was a hilarious superhero(?) comic that lasted about 3-5 issues. The latter was an Eclipse title set in the far future. It featured Lela Dowling and Steve Gallici (spelling?) and was a great source of Star HERO ideas.

His last name is 'Gallacci'. Never did get to read any Fusion back in the day, sadly. I was concentrating more on 'Birthright' in Critters & Vicky Wyman's Xanadu, which were also good comic series.

No one has mentioned this title yet (or if they did, I missed it) but I loved Darkhawk. Someone said !mpact was silver-age heroes in the iron age. Darkhawk was the same way (but with an edgier name). I guess I should also mention the Avengers. Would they count since they got their own reboot (read, most popular Marvel characters on one team for no other reason apart from marketing)? Rant warning: I'm getting tired of how Marvel is treating its titles. It's like unless you have an X or Spider in a name, there's a good chance it will be given a lousy writer/artist (see the 6-issue New Warriors miniseries) then it will tank and Marvel Management will wonder what went wrong. To further insult the New Warriors, now I hear they're going to trigger some horrible event this summer which will change the Marvel Universe.

To further insult the New Warriors' date=' now I hear they're going to trigger some horrible event this summer which will change the Marvel Universe.[/quote']

The return of Chris Claremont?

The return of Chris Claremont?

Worse, Civil War

From what's been shown the New Warriors try to take down several villians, including Nitro. He goes BOOM causing a small disaster. Wizard had a 5pg preview and I've seen it on a few sites (newsarama and some place else).

Wow, where to start?

Well, Number one, The Elementals. So far I've converted them to Hero, made Heroclix of them, pillaged their back stories for origins on NPC's...really, all that's left is for me to make Vortex Underoos. (Cuz Jeff was THE MAN!!)

Nova (Cuz Rich...IS THE MAN!!!)

Alpha Flight (Why did you kill Guardian John, why?)

New Warriors (And what was up with the Wrestling garbage Marvel?)

Black Condor

Captain Britain

Union Jack (Yes, yes, I love flag suits. So sue me)

Micronauts

Shogun Warriors

Iron Fist

Moon Knight

Checkmate

Justice Machine

Dreadstar

The entire Impact Line

The entire New Universe after they sorted it out a bit

Guardians of the Galaxy

Dragonforce by Dale Keown/Aircel

EDIT: Looking back at my list, I'm shocked I still read comics. I also think I should go down to Marvel and bust some heads as they seem to be the prime "offender". ;)

Haywire (DC) - an anti-hero with MPD, one of whose personalities (the one he blacks out during, of course) is psychicly linked to an experimental powered armor suit that teleports from its hiding place in a bus terminal locker. Of course, the secret organization that built the armor wants it back, but he is the only test subject that successfully bonded with the armor and can use it. Some odd twists at the end of the mini-series.

Worse' date=' Civil War

From what's been shown the New Warriors try to take down several villians, including Nitro. He goes BOOM causing a small disaster. Wizard had a 5pg preview and I've seen it on a few sites (newsarama and some place else).

The rumor is several Warriors die including Speedball (who is suppose to be invulurnable.)

The Civil War title comes from when this incident "forces" US government to step in and pass a law that every costumed crimefighter and metahuman must register with the govenment (real name, powers, etc) and get training to become licensed. Half the heroes agree and half do not. So we have some good guys trying to bring other good guys in.

This wouldn't be a bad idea for an RPG campaign if 1) the setting wasn't so well established and 2) most of the heroes were on one side or the other reducing the "rogue element" to a small bunch of "kiss-ups" (pro) or "anarchists" (con). By splitting things right down the middle, you're just asking for trouble and could divide the players. It's easier if they accept things one way or the other and build their characters around that concept.

Haywire (DC) - an anti-hero with MPD' date=' one of whose personalities (the one he blacks out during, of course) is psychicly linked to an experimental powered armor suit that teleports from its hiding place in a bus terminal locker. Of course, the secret organization that built the armor wants it back, but he is the only test subject that successfully bonded with the armor and can use it. Some odd twists at the end of the mini-series.[/quote']

I own the full run! Very stylized, minimalist '80s art. Good stuff.

Hmm..if we want to get really obscure.

Bats, Cats, and Cadillacs.

Oz Squad (Dorothy and her friends, but the world is more iron age.)

How about Cat & Mouse. A great b&w series from '90 (Aircel) with some of the earliest art work by Mitch Byrd who did Fantasy Hero artwork for 4th Edition. Street hero crimefighter stuff with a light hearted tone, but still serious plot. Roland Mann wrote it, if I'm not mistaken. :thumbup:

The Civil War title comes from when this incident "forces" US government to step in and pass a law that every costumed crimefighter and metahuman must register with the govenment (real name, powers, etc) and get training to become licensed. Half the heroes agree and half do not. So we have some good guys trying to bring other good guys in.

Welcome to Days of Future Past. I remember in 86 or so when they had the Mutant Registeration Act going on. Same thing writ large.

Welcome to Days of Future Past. I remember in 86 or so when they had the Mutant Registeration Act going on. Same thing writ large.

Except Civil War is suppose to be permenently part of the continunity. Marvel really seems to be reinventing itself. Spider-man's secret ID is known to more people (Stark built him an armored costume and recruited him to be on the pro-gov side). I'm pretty close to giving up on comics, at least Marvel comics, because of this.

Pretty obscure' date=' really but I really like the short-lived comic Zenith - a british superhero strip that mixed WW2-era heroes, modern day heroes and Lovecraft-inspired bad guys. Snappy dialogue, nice clean (but not great) B/W artwork and well-defined characters. [/quote']

Zenith rocked in so many ways. :thumbup:

In fact, if I had superpowers, I would have been Zenith when I was young. And, unfortunately, I'd probably be Siadwel Rhys now. Oops. ;):drink:

Except Civil War is suppose to be permenently part of the continunity. Marvel really seems to be reinventing itself. Spider-man's secret ID is known to more people (Stark built him an armored costume and recruited him to be on the pro-gov side). I'm pretty close to giving up on comics' date=' at least Marvel comics, because of this.[/quote']

I have to disagree a bit. Day's of Future Past has remained part of continuity depending mainly on who's writing what book at the time. Mainly because Clairemount can't get past things. Rachel comes from that time, Bishop is supposed to come from a period after it, and on and on and on. Every few years a writer at Marvel has to pull something out of their tush that has to do with DoFP.

I don't see Marvel as having reinventing itself. I see it as becoming either A: The House of Idea (how many books can we make into trades) or B: The inmates running the Asylum.

From what I heard Spider-Man was supposed to be the "fence" character. Iron Man and Captain America both pulling him in both directions. The Iron Spider suit will last only as long as it's hip and trendy. Look at the black suit, he didn't have that long at all.

And just as an offhand remark.

Remember boys and girls, comics died when continuity became more of a factor then a good story.

I'll go back and read the thread later (I’ve skimmed), but some books that jumped into my head when I saw the thread title. Some are mentioned, some arent.

Quantum & Woody (can't remember the publisher...Acclaim?)

Badger (from whoever)

Elementals (the original series, Comico I think)

Justice Machine (the original series...Comico again)

Mage

The Mark (Dark Horse)

X (Dark Horse)

Ghost (Dark Horse)

The Crew (from Marvel; I think this was supposed to be an ongoing series but it didn't pan out)

Archer & Armstrong (Valiant)

Route 666 (CrossGen)

The New Defenders (Marvel: loved Beast, Iceman and Angel back then....not so much, now).

Power Company (DC)

The Heckler.

DP-7

I thought Oz Squad was very clever and had a lot of potential.

HARDCorps also had great potential that was never realized. I feel that way about the whole Valiant universe really.

I was sad to see the Ultraverse bite it so quickly.