Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Starlord

Re: Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Anyone remember these?

Scarlet Thunder - World War II speedster, art deco style

The Victorian - Pulp, futuristic, horror - heck I am still not sure what was happening

Justice Society (DC) - the one after the 12 issue limited series. It was cancelled before it even started, but Dr. Midnight was what Batman wishes he could be.

Liberty Project - just cause any series which has a major nemesis join the team after he threatened to eat them and then turn out not to be bulletproof gets major mojo points.

The first Tick series

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberty Project - just cause any series which has a major nemesis join the team after he threatened to eat them and then turn out not to be bulletproof gets major mojo points.

I have seen a complete Liberty Project collection (a friend has it). Makes me want to write-up the cast.

Justice Society (DC) - the one after the 12 issue limited series. It was cancelled before it even started' date=' but Dr. Midnight was what Batman wishes he could be.[/quote']

I remember. The limited series was 8 issues, IIRC, and the "unlimited" series was about 10! :thumbdown

But it rocked like nobody's business.

From what I heard Spider-Man was supposed to be the "fence" character. Iron Man and Captain America both pulling him in both directions. The Iron Spider suit will last only as long as it's hip and trendy. Look at the black suit' date=' he didn't have that long at all. [/quote']

I haven't read any Iron Spider, but he looks like an amalgamation of Dr. Octopus and Spiderman.

I do remember the black suit - in particular, the week the Secret Wars issue where it was acquired hit the stands (Spidey posing in his new costume for the cover) being the same week Amazing SpiderMan announces Spidey's old costume is back (Spidey posing in his old costume for the cover). Iron Spider will go the same way - there's too much merchandising and licensing for Spidey's costume to make a serious permanent change.

How could I have forgotten "The Trouble with Girls"?

I really wanted to like that comic, but it was one note joke that wasn't all that funny in the first place.

Now, Young Heroes In Love... that was a GREAT comic. I'd love to see another 12 issue mini-series on that one.

I liked quite a few of the Valiant comics. The Eternal Warrior, Archer and Armstrong, Rai and Ninjak were all memorable.

I also like a lot of the Dark Horse miniseries...but I guess that doesn't count since they are miniseries.

To be honest, what got me out of comics was the fact that series didn't end. As any storyteller knows, a story has to have a beginning a middle and an end. And not just episodically, but for the series as a whole. I think that's what made Babylon 5 such a hit with the fans, because Straczynski knew the beginning the middle and the end before it even hit TV. When stories just go on ad nauseum, how do you have closure?

Now, it does suck to have something end prematurely, but in a sense, I'd rather have that than something go on aimlessly, treading the same ground over and over again without direction or purpose. Comics are unique in the storytelling world for that aspect...they are the only medium in which the story isn't really supposed to end. That's another big reason I think manga has gained a lot of traction here in the US, because manga stories do finish.

Ugh, Civil War..

Can Marvel please stop retreading DC's crossovers? Identity Crisis, Identity Disc. Planet Hulk/Annihilation/Civil War? Well, Planet Hulk's a bit different, but the others sound a bit like Rann-Thanagar War and OMAC Project. Especially at the root level.. "Let's have multiple, related crossovers going on at the same time - let's have one to keep the heroes on Earth busy, one for the space types, etc."

And the reinvention of the Avengers to include Spider-Man and Wolverine, to more closely mirror the 'big names + writer favorites' feel of Morrison's Justice League... Young Avengers (which is a great book, don't get me wrong) following on the heels of the relaunched Teen Titans.

It just seems like, more and more, Marvel's become the House of Borrowed Ideas. Am I crazy?

Zenith rocked in so many ways. :thumbup:

In fact, if I had superpowers, I would have been Zenith when I was young. And, unfortunately, I'd probably be Siadwel Rhys now. Oops. ;):drink:

Hehehe, better than the alternative.... Peter "Scary as Dr Manhattan" St. John. :ugly:

Phil

I'm a big fan of comics that don't have superheroes in them.

After those, I like solo-titles with strong supporting casts.

After those, well, I don't really like established teams very much.

I guess I'm more inclined to like pulp and hard-boiled heroes.

Jon Sable: Freelance

The 'Nam was pretty good (both art and story), but Frank Castle's appearance killed it.

I liked the 2nd Red Sonja series (post chainmail bikini). It did some fine one-shot stories.

Conan is hit and miss, but I've traditionally enjoyed them.

Cerebus is one of my all time favorite comics.

Steampunk was good, but I don't know where to look for it here.

Not comics, but: Operator #5 and G-8 make me happy.

I like Green Arrow during Grell's run.

I like the Black Widow comics, of course, but they're often more gloss than story.

Camelot 3000.

I liked the second JLA.

I admit it, I liked Moon Knight, but it fell apart after the first few issues.

I liked Alpha Flight.

I, Vampire from House of Mystery was pretty good, but I was only able to find 17 of the 24 issues.

Modesty Blaise (I've seen some reprints) is a good read.

Hehehe, better than the alternative.... Peter "Scary as Dr Manhattan" St. John. :ugly:

Phil

Yeah, see if it was me, these days, I'd likely be St John. Sensible chappie at heart, even if a bit too machivellian for his own good. :D

cheers, Mark

Man, I had forgotten all about him, I really liked the series when it first came out, but things sarted to go down hill later on.

Also, DC's suicide squad, I LOVED that book whe nit first debuted. Amanda waller was a royal bi*ch, with a capitol, B. Capt. Boomerang was great comic relief. The stories were fun to read, while also having great way to knowck some of DC's dead wieght villains with a little style.

Dragon Force...man does that bring back memories. Pretty good storyline.

There were a couple of comics that Frank Turner put out, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were called. Both hada kick as* super soldier called GI in them. Think Capt. America with and attitude.

The first comic I ever read and was "into" was Metal Men...I assume it was never big because whenever I mention it everyone goes "who?"...I was 8 but it rawked!...:)

Personally, I loved the Metal Men. Some of Walt Simonson's first work -and it was great fun (then they got their post-Crisis reboot and all the fun got sucked out of it).

And just as an offhand remark.

Remember boys and girls, comics died when continuity became more of a factor then a good story.

Without continuity of story and consistency of character, the good story can last only as long as the current arc and /or writer.

If that long.

Without continuity of story and consistency of character, the good story can last only as long as the current arc and /or writer.

If that long.

And I'd argue that in cleaning up continuity and being the watchdog of the universe, JSA became a fan favorite and award winning comic. Now they also combined good story with continuity clean up, but basically I'm saying you can do both. Heck DC only had one title more or less patching holes right up to this Infinite/Infinity stuff, and they were doing well with it.

If that long.

This is the way I look at it. Continuity is needed so that people know who they fought before and what's gone on. Fans (and I do include myself in this) have gotten so anal about it though. If something doesn't fit the way we percieve it to be then we get in a hiss because it's not how we remember it.

Evil Genius: HA, I have returned to attack you again!

Hero: But...you fell down a volcano!

Genius: I did??

Hero: Yeah, it was in that appearence you did in #15 of another book!!!

Genius: Oh, I guess the writer for this issue didn't read that one...

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did 50+ issues of the Fantastic Four with the flimiest(sp) of continuity, and they were great books. DC did 50 years more or less with little to no continuity at all. There were not 6-12 issue story arcs, no inflated writing so they toss them into trades later. Although not a big company like DC or Marvel, Archie has been doing stories with no continuity since the 40s or so? AND they're still in High School!

It's not so much individual comics that I miss as entire stillborn universes.

The Protectors and it's spin offs (Ferret, Man-of-War, Gravestone) from Malibu - another good, "back to basics" universe before it started going south. First they merged it with their "X-Mutants" title and then they killed it in order to make room for...

Hellah Protectors

The MAX Cage. I thought it was the best Cage yet. I loved the "thug life" Luke Cage and the Noir twists. It was mini, but no plans for more and it seems to be pretty much universely reviled.

Alan Moore's Youngblood. The only decent Youngblood ever. Only like two issues came out.

The heroic Green Goblin

Checkmate and Suicide Squad.

I know a lot of people liked Suicide Squad.

I also know that Checkmate is responsible for one of the all-time best comic panels ever.

It's the big crossover, with Checkmate, the Suicide Squad, and some others versus Kobra. The Force of July is there, as is (IIRC) Captain Atom. The scene has Checkmate agents in force squaring off against legions of Kobra flunkies. Everyone is getting ready to throw down, and people are not going to be getting up once this is all over (Force of July lost all but Major Victory, for example). Anyway, cut to some nameless Checkmate agent, who gets the best line in the whole book:

"This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around."

:D

Okay... the Talking Heads said it first, but still....

Man, I had forgotten all about him, I really liked the series when it first came out, but things sarted to go down hill later on.

Also, DC's suicide squad, I LOVED that book whe nit first debuted. Amanda waller was a royal bi*ch, with a capitol, B. Capt. Boomerang was great comic relief. The stories were fun to read, while also having great way to knowck some of DC's dead wieght villains with a little style.

Dragon Force...man does that bring back memories. Pretty good storyline.

There were a couple of comics that Frank Turner put out, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were called. Both hada kick as* super soldier called GI in them. Think Capt. America with and attitude.

Suicide Squad was one of the best books DC every made. Ostrander was a master storyteller, and it introduced Oracle to the DCU. I couldn't count it, since most everyone I know liked that comic.

Dragon Force... holy crap. I didn't think anyone had that comic but me. Did you also get the prequel...Dragon Ring? It was more pulpy action, until the Dragon Ring turned everyone into supers for Dragon Force. Some of the earliest art by Dale Keown, IIRC.

I know a lot of people liked Suicide Squad.

I also know that Checkmate is responsible for one of the all-time best comic panels ever.

It's the big crossover, with Checkmate, the Suicide Squad, and some others versus Kobra. The Force of July is there, as is (IIRC) Captain Atom. The scene has Checkmate agents in force squaring off against legions of Kobra flunkies. Everyone is getting ready to throw down, and people are not going to be getting up once this is all over (Force of July lost all but Major Victory, for example). Anyway, cut to some nameless Checkmate agent, who gets the best line in the whole book:

"This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around."

:D

Okay... the Talking Heads said it first, but still....

Yeah... both those series were great. Couldn't list 'em as "no one else did" since most of my friends all loved 'em. Great crossover, too.