Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

Starlord

Re: Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did

I'm a Marvel fanboy (so sue me), but here's my faves from the fringes:

Dazzler -- yes, at one point I actually had most of the issues of this one. I always dug the Allison Blaze character, even if they tried making it play like a mid-season replacement television series...

Cloak & Dagger -- yeah, it got preachy, but it also had one of the more interesting character concepts of the time IMHO. But most of the stories did kinda suck.

Moon Knight -- call him a Batman wannabe if you must (you'd be right if you did), but it was still a fun series because the hero was a less-than-sterling person who kept getting involved in the fantastic...

That's my short list of faves -- along with the original "underground" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but everyone I knew back then liked them too, so they don't really count, I guess.

Matt "Turning-the-pages-of-illustrated-history" Frisbee

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw in the april previews something that fits this thread for me.

The new book is a DC Showcase of The Metal Men. I've loved those guys for years, and no one else ever seems to. When that book comes in it will be a nice walk through my childhood.

Just saw in the april previews something that fits this thread for me.

The new book is a DC Showcase of The Metal Men. I've loved those guys for years, and no one else ever seems to. When that book comes in it will be a nice walk through my childhood.

Finally! annother True beleiver...:)

I would love to see new Justice Machine and Hero Alliance also. Might as well wish for some Willingham Elementals while I'm at it.
I can't believe I forgot to mention Hero Alliance! :eek:

I've been waiting for years for the chance to steal the Argent/Atom Smasher plot line (and I may finally have the chance to do it... :sneaky: )

The new book is a DC Showcase of The Metal Men. I've loved those guys for years' date=' and no one else ever seems to. When that book comes in it will be a nice walk through my childhood.[/quote']

Whoot!

If I hadn't already used up all my Reppage for today...

Unfortunately, I haven't got around to finishing up the Metamorpho homage I started creating while reading the Metamorpho Showcase book. Mostly, that's because a "true" Metamorpho homage would be a lame and lazy VPP-based build. Instead, I've been playing around with characters with more limited abilities.

Characters based on the Metal Men would probably be fairly similar to these.

Apparently my tastes have changed as I've aged, because all the "good oldies" I remember are Marvel, but all I read now is DC! (By the way, can anyone actually recommend an X-book as being worthwhile?)

I must echo Alpha Flight -- at least the first half of the series or so (poor Guardian) -- as I have the entire run. Fun stuff. I also guiltily enjoyed Power Pack, and get a funny look from the comic shop owner whenever I buy the back issues I'm missing...

Also, another vote for Infinity, Inc.! I thought this was an excellent series that didn't try to make too much of the "Earth-Two" gobbledygook (oops, that's DC, isn't it?). I actually wrote up the entire cast of villains for Champions...if I remember right, Mr. Bones ended up costing something like 750 points...

Dazzler -- yes' date=' at one point I actually had most of the issues of this one. I always dug the Allison Blaze character, even if they tried making it play like a mid-season replacement television series... [/quote']

Thats the title that got me into comics. I still have the whole run.

I really dont know which ones I loved, that others really didnt read much. I didnt really pay attention to what others liked and didnt like.

Shogun Warriors, ElfQuest, Sensational She-Hulk (I loved the humor in that one), and of course Dazzler.

Charlemagne (Defiant) Great character, cool concept, fun book.

Quantum and Woody (Valiant/Acclaim) Fun and hilarious book. Great writing by Christopher Priest.

Hero Alliance (Innovation) A book ahead of it's time. It presented superheroes in a sophisticated, semi-realistic enviroment long before Kurt Busiek's Astro City.

Hero Alliance (Innovation) A book ahead of it's time. It presented superheroes in a sophisticated' date=' semi-realistic enviroment long before Kurt Busiek's Astro City.[/quote']

I seem to recall that book starting out interesting, but then quickly falling into the "slavering fan-boy writing at its worst" zone.

(By the way' date=' can anyone actually recommend an X-book as being worthwhile?)[/quote']

The new X-Factor book (following on the Madrox limited series) is quite noir, and has been a pretty good read so far, at least for me. Of course, it's very early in its run.

The new X-Factor book (following on the Madrox limited series) is quite noir' date=' and has been a pretty good read so far, at least for me. Of course, it's very early in its run.[/quote']

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is the only one I read. Solid character, plot, dialogue... John Cassiday art. Good stuff.

I seem to recall that book starting out interesting' date=' but then quickly falling into the "slavering fan-boy writing at its worst" zone.[/quote']

Well, I don't think it really got that bad until towards the final issues where they were desperate to keep the book afloat.

Comico Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comico_Comics

Elementals

Grendel

Continuity Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_Comics

Armor

Megalith

Samuree

Defiant Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiant_Comics

Second-wave series

Charlemagne

Dogs of War

War Dancer

Eclipse Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_Comics

Airboy

The DNAgents

Espers

Hotspur

Miracleman

Modesty Blaise

The Rocketeer

Skywolf

Valkyrie

Villains and Vigilantes

First Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Comics

Badger

GrimJack

Jon Sable

Lone Wolf and Cub

Starslayer (1st issue "ONLY")

Malibu Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Comics

Ultraverse

Hardcase

Prime

Prototype

Solitaire

The Solution

The Strangers

Protectors (Centaur)

Airman

Protectors

Valiant Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valiant_Comics

Valiant Universe

Archer and Armstrong

Bloodshot

Eternal Warrior

H.A.R.D. Corps

Harbinger

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Rai

Secret Weapons

Cheers

QM

Some beauties here, QM!

Great boook. It's been through a couple of other publishers as well.

Have you seen the new mini (and those wonderful hardcover collections)?

Starslayer (1st issue "ONLY")

Well the others had...

Well they...

Well many of them had Grimjack backups - that has to count for something!

Have you seen the new mini (and those wonderful hardcover collections)?!

Yeah, the Grimjack TPBs where great.

Well the others had... Well they... Well many of them had Grimjack backups - that has to count for something!

True, but I think this was the only time I saw Mike Grell drop the ball. The 1st Issue was the only one I liked. The concept was sound, but the execution...? was not.

Cheers

QM

Well' date=' I don't think it really got that bad until towards the final issues where they were desperate to keep the book afloat.[/quote']

Really? I thought it was pretty early on that they revealed the main female lead as a spineless **** whose rationale for wearing skintight, revealing outfits was that the more aroused she got, the stronger she got.

Really? I thought it was pretty early on that they revealed the main female lead as a spineless **** whose rationale for wearing skintight' date=' revealing outfits was that the more aroused she got, the stronger she got.[/quote']

Well, that was how her power worked.

As for her personality, yes Kris was very needy. You didn't need to be Sigmund Freud to figure out that her relationship with Victor was a way to subconsciously seek out a "father figure".

Both Kris and her brother had a screwed up childhood because their father the Golden Guardsman was a bit screwed up himself as we gradually learned over the course of the series.

And we later saw her brother came out a lot more mentally damaged to the point he became a psycho super-villain.

It's that aspect that I loved about the series were we saw how the heroes weren’t as idyllic as they seemed on the surface.

The whole StarCorp Man subplot and Argent subplot were well done too.

Some of the other nice touches I liked were how confident and self-assured Vic was when he was being ‘Victor’, but playing the role of a normal guy seemed to make him uncomfortable. He was never sure what to say or how to act.

And the tragic end of Powerhaus was very touching.

Towards the end of the series, it became more about action and melodrama than character development.

I haven't checked, but does anyone remember Ex- Mutants ? It was in the mid to late 80s, only lasted a few issues, then branched into the New Humans, then dissipated. My favorite was Elfquest, which may still be around. At least it was about 12 years ago, I think. After the end of its first part, in I think 1981, the Authors took a break and invited readers to continue to write them and share comments, opinions and compliments. They must've gotten hundreds of letters a day, at least. One of the proudest moments in my life was when I saw my letter published in the comments and editorial issue they put out before beginning part two of the series. My old Elfquest books and the one with my letter in it are long gone, alas. It was like being published.

Does anyone, other than me, remember a couple of B&W comics by Frank Turner. One was called Retrograde, and for the life of me, I can't remember the other one. They both had some really good artwork, a decent storyline, and some cool character concepts. I can't even find references to them on the web.

I kind of liked the mini-series Marvel did of Slapstick, this guy who gets turned into a living cartoon. Goofy humor, like the issue with the Neutron Bum, a homeless guy who gains immense energy-projection powers.

On a more serious note, Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga were excellently done. The black and white artwork was just dripping with detail, and heavily influenced the S&S Hero game I ran in college. There was a nice mix of Howard stories and new stories, as well.

More recently, The New Invaders really interested me. It's the only comic I've ever had the FLGS hold for me. Only nine issues. It never had a chance to live.