Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

The team: High-powered heroes, 450 pts. They are enhanced/mutated humans with most physical characteristics in the legendary range. Stronger, smarter, faster, etc. They are tied together by shared events and similar circumstances. They have barely any memories and all records of their previous existence have been supposedly destroyed. Nobody knows who they are.

Mystic (team leader/spokesperson): 6' 1" tall, lean, athletic build, grey eyes, sandy brown hair parted on the side but cut very short in military fashion. I call him the 'jedi' superhero. His powers are cosmic in nature. He has a connection to and a control of the cosmic energy fields that surround everything and connect it together. This gives him powers of telekinesis, cosmic awareness/danger sense, precognition, minor healing abilities, and limited telepathy/empathy. He is generally calm, serious, and cautious. Due to the nature of his powers he tends to give off an 'otherworldly' vibe and also gives the impression of being older and wiser than he actually is.

Powerhouse: 7' tall, incredibly muscled (but not freakish), blue eyes, blond hair cut high and tight. Powerhouse is your basic brick with energy absorption abilities that increase his strength. He is always smiling. He loves being a superhero. His physical appearance was almost completely changed by Project: Sunburst. He has vague memories of being ugly, skinny, and unhealthy. A social outcast before but now he is has fans and a close group of friends. He's become a bit vain, boastful, and overconfident but is an overall good guy with a soft spot for children and pets.

Midnight: Asian (Japanese/American) female, 5' 2", petite build, brown eyes, black hair cut short. Midnight has shadow, darkness, and teleportation powers. She is very shy, reserved, and quiet. The loner of the group, she can be pessimistic and critical. However, she is still very loyal to her teammates, The most intelligent member, and often acts as a sounding board for Mystic and provides him with sound advice..

Novastar: white female, 5' 8", athletic and busty, blue eyes, long blonde hair, curly and windblown. Novastar has wide-ranging fusion energy powers. She is almost always seen flying or hovering and rarely touches the ground. A sparkling silver-gold aura almost constantly surrounds her. She is outgoing and extroverted, but somewhat naive. A huge flirt and tease who always seeks attention however, she also acts as the 'mother' of the group and wants everyone to get along.

Ranger: black male, 6' 3", athletic and muscular, linebacker type build, brown eyes, hair shaved very close but not bald. Ranger has hyperagility and reflexes, as well as low-level superhuman strength and endurance. He has supersenses and can create a 'camouflage field' around himself making him nearly invisible. He carries various gadgets and also has two billy clubs which can telescope into staves. In addition, he also carries an energy pistol with stun and kill settings. A former Army Ranger, he has a very 'military' mindset and is very patriotic. He takes the superheroing business quite seriously. It is hard to get him to relax and be off-duty. He is the team's second-in-command and often takes over when in combat. However, he regards his teammates as his 'men' and they are more important than anything. He expects a lot out of them, but will always back them.

Dynamo: white male, 5' 10", lean and athletic, green eyes, scruffy brown hair. Dynamo is your typical speedster who also produces an electrical field when he starts moving at superspeed level. He can use this as an attack, short out electrical devices, etc. He also has many typical speedster tricks. A sparking blue-white field surrounds him when moves at superspeed and it sounds anywhere from a static hum to a loud electrical arc as he runs by you. His personality is that of the hyperactive jester. He can have some authority problems and he and Ranger clash sometimes. He's also a clown and can be reckless, but usually comes through in the clutch.

I'm off to Origins so more later...

A quick question. My apologies if it's already been covered here, but this is a loooong thread...

Storn - what sort of turnaround time are you normally looking at on the commissions?

My thanks for all the artwork you've posted so far. A great many of your illustrations have given life to NPC's in my campaign. :D

A quick question. My apologies if it's already been covered here, but this is a loooong thread...

Storn - what sort of turnaround time are you normally looking at on the commissions?

My thanks for all the artwork you've posted so far. A great many of your illustrations have given life to NPC's in my campaign. :D

Unfortunately, it is really hard to give a consistent answer. Everything is dependent on what my work load for publishers is like. Right now, my work load is very light from publishers, and I have a large que of commissions that I'm working through. Then there is prep for Gencon this month and some personal time off.

Best guess? 3 weeks to be on the safe side.

Speaking of working through the que... here are two. Fghtdir's Mac Bashtee and Death Tribble's Magician.

MacBasloRes.jpg

MageloRes.jpg

Hey, slipped in my OWN character for a change. This is Mr. Shoal, my PC in the upcoming (tonight debut) Necessary Evil campaign. Mr. Shoal is an Atlantean hybrid, albino with Ice/Water manipulation powers. And not a very nice guy in general... hey... gotta play villains for this game!

Mr.jpg

And here is another mystic (seems to be a plethora of them lately), but a villain named Tyros the Conqueror. I think this is "Hawksmoor" commission, but while I know the patron's real name, I won't divulge it here. And I'm not sure if the patron and Hawksmoor are one and the same. Maybe he'll answer that and any questions about the pic.

TyrosloRes.jpg

And here is another mystic (seems to be a plethora of them lately), but a villain named Tyros the Conqueror. I think this is "Hawksmoor" commission, but while I know the patron's real name, I won't divulge it here. And I'm not sure if the patron and Hawksmoor are one and the same. Maybe he'll answer that and any questions about the pic.

TyrosloRes.jpg

Tyros is a world beater NPC in Worldmaker's Global Guardians Universe. This was his 'birthday present' for lack of a better term.

Great work Storn.

Hawksmoor

Since Worldmaker got banned (again) I'll just post a bit about Tyros the Conqueror.

Tyros is a super mage on a cosmic level. 20d6 Energy Blasts, 50" of Flight, 30/30 fully resistant hardened Defenses with 75% Damage Reduction and a MASSIVE Cosmic VPP. Ms. V'hann on steroids if you will. Yet, for all that I at least was at a loss of what to do with Tyros. Phenomenal power, legions of troops, yadda-yadda-yadda.

The Storn illustration gives me an in with the character. I just couldn' t picture how to deal with him. Now I know. Tyros is an urbane menace. A figure that could provide utopia if you only capitulate to his reign. There is the unfaltering arrogance, and the sense of might makes right, but there is nobility and grace to Tyros. He represents to me now a kind of antagonist that the heroes must reach deep down to face. Not on the battlefield but into their convictions: do they really want to stop Tyros given the outcomes he promises?

I was pleased to commission Tyros for Jack, because of the fun his world allows me to have. I have only been with the GGU for a year now. In fact I think that July is the anniversary of the Damocles Directive going up on the Website. Regardless of the time involved I am having too much fun for one person.

Hawksmoor

The Storn illustration gives me an in with the character. I just couldn' t picture how to deal with him. Now I know. Tyros is an urbane menace.

The fingers came about from "he looks human... but, not quite". That was my easy visual shorthand (no pun intended) to clue the viewer in that Tyros is not quite human.

As for "urbane"... there was something in Hawk's write up that suggested a complicated dude. He wants to be a god, but yet, he never abandoned his subjects when he could have and gone to conquer easier subjects-to-be.

And so that is what I came up with... it is a pretty, messy, organic process doing character illos. I don't always think through what I'm doing, I go on instinct and experience a lot. So Im thrilled when my interpertation leads to a positive evaluation.. and maybe even broadens the character concept.

Front row, left to right: Ranger, Mystic, Midnight, & Dynamo

Rear: Novastar (flying) and Powerhouse

I can go into more exhaustive detail later if anyone is interested.

Yes, Yes! Go into details.

Oh Sweet!

Robotman is the classic Brain in a Bottle Superhero. His unarmored form is very crude to facilitate repairs and upgrades but with the activation of his battlesheath he becomes invulnerable and superstrong.

In his prior life Robotman was an up and coming stuntman turned actor who suffered a serious accident and was rebuilt by the GGUs top villianous scientist: Lord Doom!

Hawksmoor

Snagged and Thank You sir. This is now my version of Half Jack.

Cheers

QM

I was going to say the same thing. This is the new improved Halfjack for RDU. Protect that human side with slick armor... while the nasty cyborg side is exposed.

Very nice blending. Really looks like one form... not two halves stuck together. That had to be hard to do.

Since Robotman has two distinct appearances, one clunky vulnerable and the other slick and armored, I was at a loss as to what Storn was going to do to depict animation in the drawing. Going half and half is really the only way to show it since I am not paying Storn for a slew of conception pics showing his evolution from one state to the other.

In reality, the character never looks like this. Sorry to disappoint he is either armored or not. And the unarmored state is commonly dressed in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. :D

Hawksmoor