What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Upstairs Downstairs

This is the 1971 version. It looks at the Bellamy family and their servants. We get introduced to the family and the servants. The Lady of the house has an affair, the daughter of the house develops a social conscience, falls in love and marries a poet, a painting of two of the maids almost causes a scandal, a visiting Swedish army officer and his batman steal items and blame one of the maids for it, one of the maids falls in love with the footman of the family next door and when the footman's mistress forbids the match the maid commits suicide. the cook is deeply affected by the suicide and steals a child which is returned and the master of the house tries to get the son of a friend to do the right thing and fails. Jean Marsh who wrote the series with another actress stars as one of the maids. Worth a look.

Fringe season 5

This is a resistance series as the observers who we saw in the previous seasons now invade and take over. The season only has 13 episodes and has call backs to earlier cases as the team once reassembled unleash old horrors on the Observers. I would say that I prefer the previous seasons but it ties up everything.

Dr Blood's Coffin

A doctor who has been prohibited from performing experiments moves back to Cornwall to carry on the experiments in secret. An interesting little horror which I had v=never heard of.

The Bloody Judge

This is an Italian horror based on the Monmouth rebellion and Judge Jeffries. The latter is played by Christopher Lee who is good despite the film. It is not bad but Lee did not like it Too much nudity for example.

Black Rain

Have not seen this film in ages although I recall seeing it at the cinema in 89 or 90. Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia are New York cops taking a Japanese criminal home when he tricks them and escapes with his criminal associates. It has the culture clash between East and West as well as the Yakuza code. If you have not seen it, do.

The Outsiders

Quite the cast with Swayze, Dillon, Lowe, Macchio and C Thomas Howell. Also Tom Cruise as one of the background actors. I prefer Rumblefish but this is notbad.

11 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The Book of Boba Fett: First four episodes set up backstories, episode 5 and 6 are mostly from a different show, episode 7 wraps it all up. There are enjoyable parts, but like Solo: A Star Wars Story, maybe certain things are better left to the viewer's imagination. (Disney+)

The only good parts were the ones that advanced the Mandalorian storyline...that says something.  Although, Cad Bane was done well I think.  Good soundtrack as well.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

The only good parts were the ones that advanced the Mandalorian storyline...that says something.  Although, Cad Bane was done well I think.

Essentially, it becomes The Mandalorian season 2.5 starting with episode 5, which was a really good episode with no Boba Fett. I saw a comment elsewhere that lamented Boba Fett becoming a guest star in his own show, and another that said, "The Book of Boba Fett is really only a pamphlet." 

6 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Essentially, it becomes The Mandalorian season 2.5 starting with episode 5, which was a really good episode with no Boba Fett. I saw a comment elsewhere that lamented Boba Fett becoming a guest star in his own show, and another that said, "The Book of Boba Fett is really only a pamphlet." 

BoBF was fun, despite the sloppy writing and the atrocious action sequences.  Had the Mandalorian scenes been spread out evenly across the episodes there would not be these guest star complaints.

I obviously haven't seen BoBF but friends who have said BF has been transformed from a taciturn and ominous warrior assassin to being a babbling second tier villain complete with soliloquy. 

At first I thought they have to be exaggerating, but then I thought about how most new shows have been and have to say it is a plausible possibility.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:21 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Yes, based on Critical Roll.

So I looked up CR and found an episode.  It was #130 something and was about an hour and a half.  Looking at the average length of eps at 3 to 4.5 hours it is pretty obvious that that they only do one a day.  If it was one a week then 130 episode would need over two years to get to that point with 52 weeks in the year.

I went into it with the understanding that the "players" were all "well known" voice actors.  With all the uproar and hype I actually thought that the "players" would be using their "voice acting" to embellish and refine their characters.  I expected to see awesome roleplaying with memorable characters.

Boy was I mistaken. 

Half the players apparently didn't even know their PC's abilities and they definitely were not paying attention to play.  The time they spent reading their character sheets while everyone was twiddling their thumbs was what you expect from a new GM running a game with too many players. Not the 130th something session with a group of 6. 

I have had pick up games at Cons to teach new players that ran better. 

I must be a genius GM and my players, even the ones at Cons I had never met before, because they were world best in comparison.  

All I can say is all the players (except the GM which was pretty good trying to keep things rolling) must have been brand new replacements or just returning after a bad round of food poisoning.

After a while so I can get past the "mental bad taste" I will try another episode to see if I had just randomly picked the one bad one. 

But if the one that I saw is par for the series, I am mind boggled at the low bar.

Having never seen it, I wonder if they were trying to hard to do humor and for the Blog to get likes and probably never cared about gaming. I would rather see some of the sessions Vin Diesel does with anyone he apparently makes movies with, or so I have heard. Now those would be entertaining and actually have people who seem to care about the game.

25 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Having never seen it, I wonder if they were trying to hard to do humor and for the Blog to get likes and probably never cared about gaming.

Well there was no humor I saw. 

I hope you get the chance to try an episode.  Maybe you can explain to me why it is even a thing. 

I have nothing.  It is beyond my comprehension at this point. 

10 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I hate to say this, because obviously it can't be true, but maybe they are trying to target a younger audience and not old fogies. How anyone could think we are fogies, I have no idea.

That I would not dispute.

But I am not talking about style or content or anything like that.

The play is just bad. 

Some things transcend generation.  When a player takes literally 10 minutes (no joke) to look through their characters sheet to figure out what they want to do.  Players that have been supposedly playing for 130+ sessions.  That is years of real time. 

If I had walked in on them at a FLGS with no introduction, I would have thought it was an experienced GM with a group of novice players. 

I mean it is what it is, but I really don't comprehend the wow that it has.

Maybe I am a genius GM :think: