What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

• 2 weeks later...

A trickle of new episodes has started to come out for Steven Universe. a show with one of the most devoted and controversial fanbases in American animation. The newest episode, "Gem Harvest", is about a lost relative of the protagonist showing up and making demands, which he and the Gems try to moderate. At first it appears the interloper is a hopeless bigot, but in the end it's apparently that like everyone else Steven encounters (including himself) he's deeply wounded.

The episode includes the first (and probably last) Polyamory joke in the history of Cartoon Network.

Watched the Phantom Menace with the mother. She was most put out that Liam Neeson died.

I actually saw The Phantom Menace with my mother when it came out in 1999 (the moment Star Wars jumped the shark). What struck me is the lack of humanity in the cast of characters. There were noble Jedi, foul Sith, silly Gungans --  but nobody an audience could really relate to. Nobody with desires I could recognize or flaws I could latch onto to say "these people are like me". I spent the entire time thinking the movie could have really used someone like Han Solo, a character who was out for his own benefit but ended up doing the right thing anyway (and blaming himself for it all the while).

There has been one good Star Wars movie since then. It was called Guardians of the Galaxy....

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with my mother again. We will proceed onto the proper trilogy of Star Wars.

The Fall. Season 3. This has a slow burn. With the Belfast Strangler injured in a shooting, he gets taken to hospital where the police want him to survive to stand trial. The series follows that, his partial recovery and incarceration for psychiatric assessment. It also follows the police as they gather evidence and the defence team as they to stop him from being brought to trial. In light of the action adventure stuff that you usually get with police procedurals, this is a refreshing change.

Watched Grand Tour with the guys from Top Gear, its silly and fun.  Basically its them having fun with cars and other stuff, being themselves.  They have a new track and driver (a NASCAR driver) but mostly its just them being them.  I enjoyed the 2 episodes I saw.

The new live action Tick show was fun, the first episode was at least.  its a bit more grown up but the Tick is still The Tick although his costume is a bit odd looking.

Saw Arrival last night. A few minor science nitpicks - Hollywood's inability to understand how radiation works is a personal pet peeve - but overall an interesting idea and a very enjoyable movie. I love a good SF action movie as much as the next nerd, but it's nice to see that thoughtful sci-fi pictures are back in fashion these days. (see also Interstellar, Martian, Gravity.)

My wife and I watched the three reboot Treks over the extended weekend. We'd last seen the first two of them at the theater. This was our first time seeing Beyond.

My opinion: All three are more fun than nearly all of the pre-reboot movies. And I appreciate that they rebooted back to TOS-era, which is the one Trek era that's held up for me after all these years.

The first of the reboot movies was the most fun, and Beyond is the most TOS-like. All three are worth owning.

(The rating system I've developed over the years is this, from worst to best: Didn't bother finishing it; finished it but didn't enjoy it; enjoyed it; want to own it; want to watch it again and again and again. The three Treks fall in the "want to own it" category for me.)

I enjoyed "New Trek" for what they were, ie - Star Trek as Big Dumb Action Movies. Tho I certainly wouldn't describe them as TOS-like, and I can understand why die-hard fans might be disappointed by the intellectual emptiness. I'd add a rating category between "enjoyed it" and "want to own it" which is "would watch it more than once, but not enough to own it." The first two New Trek movies fell into that category for me; the most recent "Too Trek Too Furious" fell into "enjoyed it, mostly."

I finally rented Batman v Superman. There's a whole `nother thread for bitching about that it, so no need to do so here. Suffice to say I went in with very low expectations and was still amazed at how awful it was - not just a bad Superman film or a bad superhero film, but an objectively awful film period.

I watched the first episode of the new Dirk Gently series. I found it...kinda painful actually. I haven't read the books in years but I don't remember them being so LOUD AND VIOLENT!!!! It's like someone threw a bunch of blood and explosions into Hitchhiker to appeal to an American audience. And most of the characters I just wanted to punch. Awful.

If anyone made it past the pilot: are they all like that?

Recently watched Star Trek Beyond, ID4: Resurgence, and Central intelligence.

Beyond was much better than Into Darkness (the worst of new Trek) - I watched it on DVD, as the second movie left such a bad taste in my mouth I couldn't bring myself to see it in theaters. Wish I had. Decent movie.

Resurgence... I loved the first one, and like this one even more.

Central Intelligence - had to scan over some stupid stuff, but a lot less than I thought I would. The comedy was decent, and I love the Rock doing comedy, and Kevin Hart was restrained enough that I enjoyed it.