Top Signs that you need to rethink your GMing.

Weldun

Re: Top Signs that you need to rethink your GMing.

... Your players don't show up for a session, you run anyway, things go a lot more smoothly, and the session after that nobody notices a discontinuity in game-world time or mentions some other unexplained game-world references.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to rethink your GMing if...

...your players nickname you The Conductor or Amtrak.

...you forget whether it's the players or the player characters that are supposed to die.

...when you meet a player's SO or spouse, and (s)he says, "I always pictured you with a pitchfork and horns."

...you make your players roll for mundane activities, like brushing their teeth.

...you insist on even including "brushing teeth" in game play.

...you think the Hero System is worthless because "it's too hard to kill player characters." (I was actually told this by a game store employee/GM.)

...every female character in your game is guaranteed to get captured, sexually assaulted, and impregnated by a bad guy within two months of game play. (Same game store employee/GM was guilty of doing this in his games.)

The GM don't bother reading the adventure he has decided to run until the session actually starts.

the GM's most often heard phrase "oh, Wait we need to go back."

THe Players try to get the GM drunk to in the hopes it might improve his performance cause it certianly couldn't get any worse.

Every time you award XP' date=' at least half the players look towards raising their defences, DCs or both.[/quote']

Wait' date=' you mean they can spend on them other things?[/quote']

Your players don't seem to realize that it's okay to spend XP on things not directly related to combat.... :D

...if the most mild mannered, calm and polite person you have ever met suddenly stands up in the middle of a gaming session, hurls his dice to the table and accuses the GM at high volume of being the worst GM in the world.

It happened. Thankfully not to me though I was present at the time. He was right too. The GM was running one of those dreadful AD&D Forgotten Realms modules where the players were basically there to follow the characters from the books around and applaud.

We'd just arrived in a city in search of some useless magical crap and had deduced from a series of doggerel clues that the UMC item was hidden in a particular old tower. So we announced our intention to go search there. One of the Novel-NPCs said we shouldn't. The others all agreed. It was a bit odd. So we went somewhere else instead.

That night the same NPC suddenly had a brilliant insight, got us up in the middle of the night AND TOOK US TO THAT TOWER where we managed to find the UMC.

I mean, come on! The module was crap but how hard would it have been for him to improvise the NPC saying "Yes let's go now" when we suggested it and then running the exact same encounters?

We'd just arrived in a city in search of some useless magical crap and had deduced from a series of doggerel clues that the UMC item was hidden in a particular old tower. So we announced our intention to go search there. One of the Novel-NPCs said we shouldn't. The others all agreed. It was a bit odd. So we went somewhere else instead.

That night the same NPC suddenly had a brilliant insight, got us up in the middle of the night AND TOOK US TO THAT TOWER where we managed to find the UMC.

I mean, come on! The module was crap but how hard would it have been for him to improvise the NPC saying "Yes let's go now" when we suggested it and then running the exact same encounters?

But then your character would have made a decision that at least seemingly impacted the story. We can't have that!

...you think the Hero System is worthless because "it's too hard to kill player characters." (I was actually told this by a game store employee/GM.)

...every female character in your game is guaranteed to get captured, sexually assaulted, and impregnated by a bad guy within two months of game play. (Same game store employee/GM was guilty of doing this in his games.)

Hmm, I wonder if that was the guy running the PBeM game I was in once. When he started going into loving detail exactly how the villains were raping, torturing, dismembering, etc. a pair of NPC female heroes, I decided to quietly back out of the game. :nonp:

I think Aaron Williams has a few things to say about this topic--

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php?date=2003-10-29

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php?date=2005-01-12

Here's what could be a Champions game gone completely wrong--

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php?date=2007-08-01

But all that said--

...When you wake up the next day with a horrendous headache and have to call your players to find out how YOUR OWN GAME ended last night.

:cheers::drink::drink::drink::sick:

GoldenAge For The Win.

.........................................................................................................................

...you make your players roll for mundane activities, like brushing their teeth.

...you insist on even including "brushing teeth" in game play.

Sounds like this could be a Fatalite you're talking about.

:angst:

When two of your PC's are sock puppets.

You get into a car crash, knocking over your screen, making a player critically fumble, and the carefully constructed battle scene becomes a shambles.

You are playing CoH in the middle of the game.

You begin every session with walking across hot coals.

Every session, you vehemently let your players know that you never really wanted to be a GM; you always wanted to be... a lumberjack!

when your unkillable (munchkin character) is killed. by a random guard

when for every 3hours of game play you invest 6 hours of bitching about the game.

where all uber villains and "teammate" npcs are just the gms wishfulfilment characters.

(try getting rid of a Worf with combat precognition and 2 really powerful guns)

When none of your PHd players can find/understand your simple "clues". cos there stupid