Dead guy on tab

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Must use villains

My faves (some already mentioned):

Grond for the traditional rampage.

Foxbat to keep folks from taking things too seriously.

Lady Blue to show not all supervillains are bad.

VIPER for the quintessential villain organization (and GI JOE / COBRA jokes).

DEMON for the supernatural bent.

The Ultimates for a supervillain team. (Eurostar works too - for higher powered teams.)

Pulsar, Oculon, Ankylosaur, Vibron, Freon, Ripper, Green Dragon (and probably a couple others) as individual brawls and short threats.

GRAB for a supervillain team that you have to out-think.

Doctor Destroyer makes a great big bad.

Seeker for a superhero guest star (maybe the PCs can rescue him).

My two shillings.

Lonewalker

Must Haves?

Foxbat, Deathstroke (the full group), Eurostar, Grond, Doc D, 4th ed COIL, Firewing, PSI and Green Dragon :)

Mind you ... I've heavily modified these for my Champions campaigns ;)

If you are running a Champions campaign in a Champions universe, which villains (from any edition) "must" you use to give your players the feel of the Champions universe. For example, I think the players should encounter:

Dr. Destroyer

Mechanon

Foxbat

i.e. which villains are "core" to the Champions Universe

The "core" villains will obviously range by personal opinion. For example, I've only used Dr. Destroyer in two campaigns. In one (4E) he was only a background figure and it was his son (the lower power version from Classic Enemies) that had more impact on the PCs' world. In the other, Destroyer was killed by an Extermination Squad during a V'han invasion.

I've never used Mechanon.

Villains I tend to use for the right feel are:

• Bulldozer
  • Ogre
  • Anklyosaur
  • VIPER
  • Armadillo
  • Black Paladin
  • Rainbow Archer
  • Eurostar (usually mentioned in the background)
  • GRAB
  • Thunder & Lightning
  • PSI
  • Ripper
  • Grond

Others I prefer are VOICE, Seven Horsemen and many other groups and individuals that didn't make it to 5th Ed.

Ogre. Got to have Ogre.

He is the epitome of bricks in the genre, and has always been a good rube to have in the game.

Foxbat, of course.

Dr. Destroyer... well, he should be in the world, but not necessarily a force that the PCs will ever want to deal with.

VIPER is pretty much a must, as the arch-typical villainous organization. Great for background stories of both heroes and villains, and always a popular source of plots!

There are many that I have used over the last 20 years, but these definitely come to the forefront. Personally, I like GRAB (Cheshire Cat, Hummingbird, Black Diamond, Bluejay), as villains who are not all about combat and damage causing.

Foxbat, of course, as others have pointed out.

I find I can not help but use Captain Chronos, he brings the time travel to your PCs if they won't go to it. :)

Mechanon is a must because you need at least one evil robot out to exterminate organics.

Teleios has become very important in working behind back scenes, as a possible hook for origins, and so much more. In some ways I find him far more useful than Dr. Destroyer.

Dr. Destroyer is the best 'classic comic book Big Bad', and if you are in the 5th CU just the fact he is out and loose shapes so much. I try to have his influence felt more than direct conflict until the heroes buff up.

Bulldozer is a great villain for letting the PCs have a good time wiping the floor with a punk that really, really deserves it.

Grond is good for the 'force of nature in raw strength' area, where as Ogre is a bit more sympathetic.

VIPER is the go to evil organization.

Oh, and Firewing for the Alien fix. An outsider whose culture is very different from the heroes

I'm sure this list will expand if I think about it

For me I go way back to Enemies 1 and then from there.

So we have to have the good Dr Destroyer

Menton

Eurostar

Bulldozer

Grond

Ogre

Ripper

The Viper villains from the 4th Edition book including Brick

Rainbow Archer

GRAB

Genocide

Mechanon

Foxbat

Black Paladin

Ankylosaur

Card Shark

Cobra (but not the full Coil)

The Ultimates

The Monster

These are the ones I can recall offhand

Mechanon is a must because you need at least one evil robot out to exterminate organics.

Forgot about him... how could I forget about Mechanon? The world may never know.

Bulldozer is a great villain for letting the PCs have a good time wiping the floor with a punk that really, really deserves it.

Grond is good for the 'force of nature in raw strength' area, where as Ogre is a bit more sympathetic.

Yeah, I use both of these often... but I still see Ogre as being more iconic.

I've always preferred to "repackage" the CU villains to fit my campaigns. F'rinstance Foxbat got modified from a crazy villain to a crazy would-be hero named Flying Squirrel who needed rescuing from his own heroic overconfidence. Eurostar became Eurostern, a Nazi-backed team of supervillains. Grond lost his extra pair of arms but gained a tail and scales as Dinoman, the reptilian beast-creature.

I also created many of my own villains, such as Übermann, a "what if two rockets left Krypton and one landed in Germany?" character. His powers were similar to Superman (250 point homage, in that game) but with really skewed values. One of my favorites was Anaconda, a villain who could transform into a 40-foot-long anaconda with supernatural strength.

I've always viewed the "as-written" Champions villains as a good starting point, but usually not appropriate to my campaign without at least some tweaking.