The Worst character in comics

Adventus

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Worst character in comics

What say we just throw all of Liefield's characters into a pile with Cable on top and then set the pile on fire?

Works for me' date=' I'll bring marshmallows.[/quote']

:jawdrop: Are you crazy? :nonp: That stuff would be toxic! I'll bring my hazmat suit, thankyouverymuch.

Not a major character' date=' but majorly stupid nonetheless: Random.

Not sure if he counts as major or not, but I never could stand Guido aka Strong Guy. Everything about him was stoooopid.

However, both pale by comparison to Cable, of course. His "worstness" factor is epic.

Hey, Strong Guy was awesome. :)

Northstar and Aurora. One's a spoiled, arrogant former professional athlete who thinks he's God's gift to women (or is it men?), and the other's a schizophrenic slut. No wonder the rest of Canada hates Quebec.

What I dislike about them most, though, is that I thought the two of them had great potential that was never really even explored.

Superman: can do anything, defeated by nothing.If there is something he can´t do, writers just give him yet another power. New example of lameness is ability to grant powers to normals.It works only under blue sun...for now.

In Action Comics #857 (Part three of the "Escape From Bizarro World" storyline), it is revealed that the light of a blue sun can give Superman the power of "Superman Vision", which can imbue any person it hits with Kryptonian-like abilities for a short time.

Here is a post written by metalwarrior1975 which shows problems with Superman.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63390&page=4&highlight=unbeatable

It's not the characters, it's the writers and editors. A good writer can make *any* character interesting and entertaining while a bad writer can take the greatest character around and completely ruin them.

It's not the characters' date=' it's the writers and editors. A good writer can make *any* character interesting and entertaining while a bad writer can take the greatest character around and completely ruin them.[/quote']

And the prize for hitting the nail on the head goes to Alric. Rep.

I actually like Gambit, and while I'm not fond of Cable, I actually am finding him in the Ultimate universe interesting, so that disqualifies him....

For me, it has to be

The Punisher, hands down. Worse than anything Liefeld ever came up with.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Because she's a telepath/precog who calls herself "Negasonic Teenage Warhead."

And, yes, Alric hit it right on the head: it's not so much the character, it's the writer. Look what Kurt Busiek (and Fabian Nicieza) did to a bunch of C-list villains during his run on Thunderbolts.

Pretty much anything created by Rob Liefeld but the milkman already mentioned him. (Saw after the fact.)

But you know what, every character that think of that I can't stand, to the point of burning said comics, Rob Liefeld is involved in some way so the point stands.

I do agree with the poster below, though, about Lobo. Now Ambush Bug was funny....

I would also put on the block TMNT and similar. (Except Usagi Yojimbo and Cerebus)

Ugh. I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lobo. He was practically single-handedly responsible for making me stop buying superhero comics when he came out. He was like an infection that just kept spreading into other titles.

:idjit:

Cable is pretty awful. An extremely violent super-powerful telekinetic who can't really use his telekinesis because of a techno-organic virus that was engineered by his own clone and he carries around big guns and has a glowing eye for no real good reason and is the child of a major character and his dead former wife who was a clone of his first love who died then came back to life but wasn't really her and then died again and really was just in a pod under the water and came back and when the clone found out she became evil and the son was taken into the future to be raised by future selves of major character and real woman #1 and then came back to fight evil.

I think that pretty much captures it.

:angst:

Is that captures it, you can keep it.

Myself, I'd have to go with Venom as a superhero. Who the heck thought that was a good idea???

Even though the character was the basis for the Dark Champions genre' date=' with apologies to Mr. Long, I say [b']The Punisher[/b] is the worst. Not only is he a gun-wielding vigilante killer in a genre where such characters would--should--suffer the same fate as villains, he's a blatant plaigarism of Don Pendleton's character The Executioner. All Marvel did to create him was take Mack Bolan and put him in tights with a big skullface emblem. There's nowhere near as much similarity between Superman and Captain Marvel, as between The Demon With A Glass Hand and The Terminator, as there is between The Punisher and The Executioner.

To this day it surprises me that there wasn't a lawsuit, either by Pendleton or Pinnacle Books. Because they would have won, and The Punisher would be nothing more than a distasteful, insignificant memory.

Why get rid of free publicity?

The worst character in the entire history of comics was DC's first blaxploitation hero, The Black Bomber, a white racist by day, who turned into a superpowered black guy at night or in times of stress.

Thankfully, he was so awful, the powers that be at DC came to their senses and he never saw print.

No offense, but I'd like some verification of this. This sounds like an urban legend.

Batgod

I'm a big batman fan, but what they've done to him is agitating. He's become some Nieitzschesque caricature of a man. He's paranoid, has alienated and driven away almost everyone who has been close to him, is obsessesed and has no life, and has this weird inhuman vibe coming off of him.

So, basically you're saying that DC made Batman into a fanboy? :D

That said, I agree with your assessment. And I thought that events in 52 were supposed to bring 'good Bruce' back.

To this day it surprises me that there wasn't a lawsuit, either by Pendleton or Pinnacle Books. Because they would have won, and The Punisher would be nothing more than a distasteful, insignificant memory.

We can only dream of an alternate reality, improved from our own by this having happened there. :)

Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Because she's a telepath/precog who calls herself "Negasonic Teenage Warhead."

And, yes, Alric hit it right on the head: it's not so much the character, it's the writer. Look what Kurt Busiek (and Fabian Nicieza) did to a bunch of C-list villains during his run on Thunderbolts.

Y'know, that's the title of a Monster Magnet song, as well as "Ego the Living Planet," both of which were on the same album (Dopes to Infinity).

I wonder...:think:

On another note, I hate the "Superman always wins" argument; it's bullcrap.

How many Justice League stories have these people read?

Do they mean to imply that their favorite characters lose quite a bit or something?

Either way, there is a distortion of facts.

Captain Britain. Bleuch!

Once more with the "British guy created by Yanks who have never been to Britain" and the only concept they can come up with is King Arthur - 'cos that's all they've ever heard of.

Captain America works because America (ie the US) is one country. Britain is four countries - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Britain is a "metanation".

A better concept would have been "John Bull" - the English version of Uncle Sam. Okay - he's meant to be British, but people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would see him as English. However, unlike Uncle sam, he is not a figure of authority (esp not the Authority).

Captain Britain was create by Chris Claremont and Herb Trimpe and really was just a "British" Captain America. But Alan Moore redeemed the character and made him decidedly English.

And an incredible character. So he can't count. :drink:

Even though the character was the basis for the Dark Champions genre' date=' with apologies to Mr. Long, I say [b']The Punisher[/b] is the worst. Not only is he a gun-wielding vigilante killer in a genre where such characters would--should--suffer the same fate as villains, he's a blatant plaigarism of Don Pendleton's character The Executioner. All Marvel did to create him was take Mack Bolan and put him in tights with a big skullface emblem. There's nowhere near as much similarity between Superman and Captain Marvel, as between The Demon With A Glass Hand and The Terminator, as there is between The Punisher and The Executioner.

Don Pendleton filed a lawsuit against Marvel Comics back in the 70's about this whole thing and actually won a settlement.

Sgt. Mack Bolan (aka Col. John Phoenix) is a far superior character. I mean he was a Vietnam vet, who returned home to find out that his father had killed his whole family when he had found out his daughter was working as a prostitute to pay of his Mob gambling debt. Enraged, Mack Bolan went after the Mob, leaving dead bodies in his wake. He began to be hunted by Hal Brognola, an FBI agent with a sense of justice but bound by the law.

A five year long road destroying the Mob in dozens of cities, finally led to Mack Bolan's capture and conviction of over a hundred murders. But Mack had one more chance, the US Government offered him a chance to work for them, handling problems that they couldn't officially touch, both national and international. Leading to the birth of Able Team and Phoenix Force.

Operating from the Stoneridge Mountains and codenamed Stony Man, Mack Bolan underwent reconstructive surgery, was given the name John Phoenix and began a war against terrorism, drug dealers and anyone else trying to make America a bad place.

(Okay so I've read alot of The Executioner books, #1-278.)

Don Pendleton filed a lawsuit against Marvel Comics back in the 70's about this whole thing and actually won a settlement.

Sgt. Mack Bolan (aka Col. John Phoenix) is a far superior character. I mean he was a Vietnam vet, who returned home to find out that his father had killed his whole family when he had found out his daughter was working as a prostitute to pay of his Mob gambling debt. Enraged, Mack Bolan went after the Mob, leaving dead bodies in his wake. He began to be hunted by Hal Brognola, an FBI agent with a sense of justice but bound by the law.

A five year long road destroying the Mob in dozens of cities, finally led to Mack Bolan's capture and conviction of over a hundred murders. But Mack had one more chance, the US Government offered him a chance to work for them, handling problems that they couldn't officially touch, both national and international. Leading to the birth of Able Team and Phoenix Force.

Operating from the Stoneridge Mountains and codenamed Stony Man, Mack Bolan underwent reconstructive surgery, was given the name John Phoenix and began a war against terrorism, drug dealers and anyone else trying to make America a bad place.

(Okay so I've read alot of The Executioner books, #1-278.)

That reminds me of the first story arc of Punisher MAX (which is good probably because Garth Ennis is writing it), where he is offered to go after bin Laden, but he turns it down; I wonder if that was something of a nod to Mack Bolan or not?

That being said, have you checked these audio books out?

I've always been curious about Mack Bolan, but I never really knew anything about the quality of the books.

I've always been curious about Mack Bolan, but I never really knew anything about the quality of the books.

I discovered Mack Bolan when I was 13. So I was very much into the limited dialog, one man killing machine with small asides involving some very PG-13 sex-capades.

The prose was very simple and the plots pretty much the same, but they were entertaining. At the time I was reading about 2 books a week (school, homework, gaming, comics and other books aside). Books were around 200 pages tops.

Sometime around book 60 the stories actually started getting better. Don Pendleton was no longer writing the books and several "ghost" writers had taken over, taking turns. Books came out about once every 2 months and steadily got better yet still were very simple.

Every now and then they'd publish a bigger story in a 400+ page book that would include crossovers with the two other books in the same world, Phoenix Force and Able Team. Both of them were fun series as well.

I also read another series around this time call Track. About a Private Eye/Special Ops guy who used a .357 Magnum and a SPAS-12 Shotgun.

(Funny, everyone had a "special weapon" they used. Mack Bolan used a .44 Automag. Dan Track used a .357 Magnum.)

I also read Brett Wallace, Ninja Master, a very trite but entertaining series about an American trained in the art of Ninjitsu. He killed people with his hands, swords, ice cubes, toothpicks, pretty much anything sharp or pointy. Anytime the plot lagged they'd throw in some R-rated sex scenes and all the deaths were graphically detailed.

Ugh. I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lobo. He was practically single-handedly responsible for making me stop buying superhero comics when he came out. He was like an infection that just kept spreading into other titles.

:idjit:

I've never seen Lobo in anything serious, except that episode of Justice League, I guess. He's great as parody, although I can imagine any attempt at a serious Lobo story would end up as unintentional parody.