How did you handle the change in the Champions Universe between the 4th Ed & 5th Ed?

CptPatriot

Re: How did you handle the change in the Champions Universe between the 4th Ed & 5th

Essentially, I started a new campaign, incorporating as much from both the Fourth and Fifth Edition CU as I wanted. The framework was much more Fifth because it was more detailed and consistent than what had gone before; but I left out some stuff from the current universe that I didn't want to use, and ported in a bunch of earlier elements that I really liked.

Re: How did you handle the change in the Champions Universe between the 4th Ed & 5th

I kept Bora and the Whip's Whip!

Basically, I didn't allow the 5th Edition Universe to get rid of any of the characters they killed off from the 4th Edition. If that meant a short explanation for what impact that had on continuity, so be it.

I didn't play in any games that used the official 4e CU, so there werent' any changes to be made. Likewise, I'm not playing in any games that use the 5e CU, so no changes either.

I didn't start using 5th Edition anything until I changed campaigns, so I told the players that some things may be different than the world they know, and we'd learn of those things during play unless it was a major event (like the destruction of Detroit and the city's rebirth as Millennium City).

Like others, I kept a lot of 4th CU that I liked, added in the 5th CU elements that I liked, and ignored the rest. Where potential conflicts existed between the two, I either explained them or (more likely) my players didn't ask so I just ignored them until such a time that they get questioned.

Also, since I'm not a fan of killing off characters, in general I kept any dropped characters around, just explained their absense from a particular team.

Initially, I decided not to break up Terror Inc and change the makeup of Eurostar. However, I really liked the reborn (or should I say resurrected) Terror Inc. presented in Digital Hero, so I retconned the 5th CU change in.

I think when I was first getting into Champions, I was treating the CU like a campaign setting and trying to keep my backgrounds closely tied with the 'established' game universe in the same way that if I was playing Marvel Superheroes or DC Heroes, and tying in character with their universes. I hadn't realized at the time, that people didn't use the CU that way.

The two worlds blended into one. With some events and persons appearing and disappearing from reality. I also include my past Campaign Histories into a new Universe.

Champion Earth 4th -

Champion Earth 5th -

Champion Earth 6th -

Etc...

QM

I did it in story.

I ran a big "Summer Crossover" type event. The Despoiler from the old European Enemies book (re-written to be as nasty as his background claimed he was) located and then attacked the Keystone of Reality (mentioned in the 4th Ed Champions Universe).

His goal was to despoil/destroy it & end creation. Or at least this part of it. The heroes, along with just about every NPC group I could wedge in tried to stop him but were opposed by the forces of chaos and entropy that wanted the Despoiler to succeed. The Archmage was involved, gods intervened, cats and dogs started living together.

In the end, the crystal was damaged but not destroyed and the heroes went home. But their home was now the 5th edition universe. Mostly the same, but with some names changed. Detroit had been destroyed, persistant NPCs remembered things as if they had always been this way, and only the PCs (and Dr. Destroyer, who had help out of self-interest) knew anything was different.

This gave me a chance to use the 5th ed Champions universe while keeping whatever aspects of the old 4th edition one I liked, along with all the home brew stuff I wanted to keep. At the same time I could quietly drop the home brew stuff that hadn't worked out. PCs were re-written to conform to 5th edition standards & we kept right on gaming.

Oh, was the question about reality/continuity or system?

I've never used anything printed as canon. Always used my own world.

I was referring to reality/continuity, but the other way is just as interesting to read.

the GM's I play with all play in the same universe

as characters where converted and grand fathered as time went on

pretty much the same as when we switched from 3ed to 4th and 2nd to 3ed

I didn't really. I had no active game at the time, so it didn't matter. For that matter, I missed one edition (either 3rd or 4th) due to lack of game.

The transition from 1st to 2nd was handled by starting a new campaign. We were teenagers, we played both Friday and Saturday nights, and on holidays, and during Summer vacation...