Sixth Edition Showcase #8: APG Goodies

Steve Long

Re: Sixth Edition Showcase #8: APG Goodies

So change PD to a base of 2 and remove the bit from Str that adds to it. Seems the same to me' date=' as long as Characteristics are dealt with in a generic way rather than having special logic for some of them.[/quote']

I tend to not assume things about applications that other people are programming. It certainly could have been done like that, and indeed was. But until I hear from the guy who wrote it (which we have now) or until I test it (which I have now) I try to avoid making assumptions about how programmers implement things. Too much time doing QA work, officially and unofficially. :)

In any case, nicely cleared up, so HD shouldn't be a barrier to bringing figureds back into 6e . :D

Not that I have any personal interest in doing so, but it is good that the option is there for those that want it. :thumbup:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that Chucking can tell us how much wood can be chucked' date=' but are we not going to need another power to allow certain character types to chuck wood at all?[/quote']

Well, since we're so close to release I don't think I'm giving away anything major here....

Chucking is an Everywoodchuck Power :D

Since I don't expect Dan to bother with such a toggle' date=' it might do for a tech savvy fan to do a template with the modification. While those of us with a modicum of XML knowledge can do it easily enough, its easy to forget that editing the template is a power user function.[/quote']

It can't be that hard: I'm no real power user and I sussed it out in an evening.

cheers, Mark

It can't be that hard: I'm no real power user and I sussed it out in an evening.

cheers, Mark

I do my own templates all the time. But, like I said, its a power user function. The documentation itself identifies it as such. Simon makes no bones about it being such. And you've presented yourself as being a power user in past technology discussions. My only point was: telling the average end-user "its easy" because you're tech savvy and figured it out for yourself may be regarded as condescending, nor terribly realistic.

Absolutely not; that would be a "positive" effect' date=' which isn't permitted. To clarify, since my summary language was confusing: you can remove Advantages. You can impose Limitations. You cannot create "positive," beneficial effects using CE (aside from possibly negating someone else's CE, which is technically "beneficial").[/quote']

May I assume that negative effrects can be negated even if they aren't caused by the CE power? Such as sweltering desert heat - a natural phenomenon, rather than someone's use of Change Environment. Or natural fog - can you use a CE to blow it away to increase visibility to normal levels.

And as a separate question, why can't you create positive effects with CE? If you can negate negative effects, what could be the additional harm? Will the option to make positive effects with CE at least be included in the APG? Please?

I tend to not assume things about applications that other people are programming. It certainly could have been done like that' date=' and indeed was. But until I hear from the guy who wrote it (which we have now) or until I test it (which I have now) I try to avoid making assumptions about how programmers implement things. Too much time doing QA work, officially and unofficially. :)[/quote']

Heh. I agree. It was more musing than assuming. A, "Don't worry too much. It could very well be better than all that." :)

I do my own templates all the time. But' date=' like I said, its a power user function. The documentation itself identifies it as such. Simon makes no bones about it being such. And you've presented yourself as being a power user in past technology discussions. My only point was: telling the average end-user "its easy" because you're tech savvy and figured it out for yourself may be regarded as condescending, nor terribly realistic.[/quote']

At the same time, it could be interpreted to mean, "It's easy for someone to do, so expect it to be reasonably accessible option...."

A more-serious-than-you'd-expect question for Steve:

Can chucking be used on materials other than wood? Examples: stone, plastic, dirt, metal, bananas, milk chocolate...?

But none of those are measured in cords. :confused:

:P

Can chucking be used on materials other than wood? Examples: stone, plastic, dirt, metal, bananas, milk chocolate...?

You could, but you shouldn't. It's like using Transform or Extra-Dimensional Movement to duplicate the effects of other Powers. It's possible, but frowned upon from a metagame standpoint...

;)

Chucking normally applies to a single SFX, by default this is Wood but at Character Creation another material SFX could be chosen, such as the examples that you state.

In the unpublished manuscript for the Ultimate Chucker, however, the Variable SFX is the recommended solution to be able to fully Chuck any sort of material.

Well, since we're so close to release I don't think I'm giving away anything major here....

Chucking is an Everywoodchuck Power :D

I thought an everyWoodchuck couldn't chuck wood, or we'd know how much wood they could chuck because we could just look and see.

How much wood

would a woodchuck chuck,

if a woodchuck

could chuck wood?

As much wood

As a woodchuck would,

if a woodchuck

could chuck wood.

...so I don't think they can without maybe a perk?

—a new Mental Power, Possession, that allows a character to completely take over another character, including access to the target’s senses and memories

—a new optional form of Desolidification, Projection, that lets a character project some part of his “self” outside of his body (such as in the classic “astral projection” sort of ability)

ThankyouthankyouTHANKYOU! :celebrate: These have been sorely needed for over a decade. There are complex workaround builds of course (and I've almost gotten used to the Duplication versions of Astral Form vs the earlier Clairsentience build, even though I bristle at the framework-busting Active Point costs involved), but having a simple power that deals directly with each will be so much better.

I thought an everyWoodchuck couldn't chuck wood, or we'd know how much wood they could chuck because we could just look and see.

How much wood

would a woodchuck chuck,

if a woodchuck

could chuck wood?

As much wood

As a woodchuck would,

if a woodchuck

could chuck wood.

...so I don't think they can without maybe a perk?

Yeah, but how many points would it require for a woodchuck to chuck Chuck Norris?:confused:

originally posted by paladin.oa

Yeah, but how many points would it require for a woodchuck to chuck Chuck Norris?

Obviously, that depends what powers Chuck Norris has.

Perhaps this calls for a re-working of the Density Control/Growth rules to effectively make Chuck heavier, and thus harder to throw.

Obviously, this will take the "Only vs. Woodchucks" (-1/2) modifier. The exact rating of the modifier, will, of course, depend on the amount of woodchucks in your campaign.

Well, on a more serious tone about Chucking: there is no power other than Str. with a limitation (only for throwing) for increasing your throw. I mean now you can buy increased Damage, skill rolls, and (in 5th) jumping, all separately; but hopefully the Chucking is serious, because you'll be able to add throwing to the list of "purchasable outside Str."

Seriously, that's something Str gives, but hasn't been decoupled, or talked about even...

I can't think of many builds, or even Supers or whatnot that would need it, but with the idea of complete toolkitting....

meh, My 2 copper.