Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

I walked the Relay for Life on Saturday night, from 1:00-2:00 a.m. On one lap, I was passed by a couple in an intense discussion about Star Wars. As they passed me, the woman commented on Lucas having the plots for all six movies already in his head over 30 years ago, and then (in a very earnest-sounding voice) followed it up with:

Woman: "I mean, just ask my cousin! George Lucas is an absolute genius!"

I think I strained a muscle suppressing a laugh.

New policy at work is that we programmers are not to wear headphones. So I now have to listen to the Bus FM as I am right under a speaker. Ironically, this is supposed to cut down on distractions butt I find the music maddeningly distracting. I have concluded that the Bus runs from Des Moines to Arkham, MA. I'm not doing well on my SAN rolls today. Not at all.

New policy at work is that we programmers are not to wear headphones. So I now have to listen to the Bus FM as I am right under a speaker. Ironically' date=' this is supposed to cut down on distractions butt I find the music maddeningly distracting. I have concluded that the Bus runs from Des Moines to Arkham, MA. I'm not doing well on my SAN rolls today. Not at all.[/quote']

o_O

Why ban headphones? Are you doing pair programming?

o_O

Why ban headphones? Are you doing pair programming?

Nope. That would make perfect sense. This is for 2 (stated) reasons 1) to make sure the designers at work see us as approachable (apparently some of them can't figure out to just tap us on the shoulder). 2) We might be distracted by what we are listening to. Please note I mentioned that I am right under a speaker. I guess the banal, easy-listening music isn't distracting.

Nope. That would make perfect sense. This is for 2 (stated) reasons 1) to make sure the designers at work see us as approachable (apparently some of them can't figure out to just tap us on the shoulder). 2) We might be distracted by what we are listening to. Please note I mentioned that I am right under a speaker. I guess the banal' date=' easy-listening music isn't distracting.[/quote']

I wonder how "distracting" it'd be if you played your own music at your desk, with speakers, loud enough to drown out the muzak. This being said, I've gotten the same "unapproachable" excuse before as well. My response? "Grow a set. They don't need to be big to tap me on the shoulder, and my teeth haven't really qualified as weapons for a great many generations."

I have used, with some success, "And it keeps me from overhearing confidential conversations from the cube in the next row." [There was a unit manager immediately on the other side of the north cube wall.]

I wonder how "distracting" it'd be if you played your own music at your desk' date=' with speakers, loud enough to drown out the muzak. This being said, I've gotten the same "unapproachable" excuse before as well. My response? "Grow a set. They don't need to be big to tap me on the shoulder, and my teeth haven't really qualified as weapons for a great many generations."[/quote']

My next up talked to the boss for me about it. The boss specifically said that he feels I am distracted because I don't listen to music on my headphones but to podcasts related to the field I want to work in (which isn't php). I'm not distracted. I feel I work better when I am not listening to the Bus FM.

I want to do a doctorate in theology (already have two masters in it) and am now working to pay off loans. I think one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was not going on right after the masters. Maybe a year off at most.

Had a discussion with a coworker today. He used to be across the aisle from me, but everyone in his department got moved and he got an office. He said, "Frank, I feel for you everyday. You have to sit right under that speaker while it plays that annoying station! Me? I don't have a speaker in here! I don't have to worry about The Bus."

Ha also told me that more than just tech and programming were having to put away the headphones. That makes me feel a lot better about the deal. I still don't like the music but knowing that it's not a policy aimed at us is helpful.

If I were you I'd seriously consider getting a cheap pair of hearing protection headphones like the ones used at firing ranges. It would make your point in a very visual way, and hey you're not listening to anything. If they respond with you can't wear any type of headphones get a box of those foam earplugs and place them very obviously on your desk.