Would your Hero endorse a politician?

Pizza Man

Re: Would your Hero endorse a polititian?

Shadow Hawk, having worked for the government for most of his life, would not. He doesn't trust politicians. Amusingly, he trusts the bureaucracy more than the elected officials...

Goliath has the mentality of a three year old. He'd endorse whoever gave him candy. Of course, who would want the endorsement of a 7' tall blue man with a history of semi-random violence given to statements like "Candy good!"

Steel Panther would almost certainly get tricked into endorsing the wrong candidate and then spend weeks trying to fix the problems that caused.

El Mago wouldn't in his hero id, but would in his secret id. Multimillionaire nobleman? Oh, yes, he trades political favors. At least with fellow Spaniards.

All characters: Absolutely not.

It's not that politicians turn out to be evil sometimes. It's not that aliens take over their minds and then, the hero has to deal with the consequences. It's that it forever marks the hero as someone with that political affiliation. Politicians belong to parties. When the hero endorses the party, the people who vote for that party have the hero to uphold as "Their" hero. This is ridiculous. It's not what superheroes do, to be polarized by the right or the left, to be lionized by a political party as "their guy" who endorses "These values."

A superhero fights for justice. He fights for all the people, all the time. Not just some of the people some of the time.

Audra Blue would do it if it fit into some long-term plan of hers. While she's no genius mastermind she does see how people play the system and likes to do likewise from time to time.

Uncle Slam would not. Ironically, Uncle Slam is running for President in my campaign, and while Anthem would not endorse a candidate, he is the sole exception. He's the reason she went the patriotic route with her hero schtick.

Olorin - Unlikely to make public announcements, but might quietly support one he believes in. He'd probably only go public on someone he personally knows.

Volt - In secret id, yes. As hero - only if he thought the opponent of the person he supports was an absolute disaster, a traitor or plain evil. He might support a teammate.

Black Tiger. No. Not unless it was one of his teammates.

Leadman. No. Mainly because he'd think an endorsement would doom the guy. Leadman is a "gloom and doom" type.

Futurian "Vote for Futurian. He knows what's coming..... Really, you have to be kidding. Not going there." Exception: if one of his teammates ran. Well, some of them. Others he'd actively oppose.

In general no. Riptide might help a politician in return for later favours, but an open endorsement has too much of a potential to come back and bite you when your choice messes up. And Poet's an escaped mental patient and Tien Lung's an illegal alien so...no.

Earth Girl would endorse the Leftmost eco-friendly politicians, but she's regarded as an eco-terrorist and not likely to give cordial interviews to the press.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror doesn't understand modern culture well enough to endorse anyone, and Super Model would be very careful to avoid doing so as she's a foreign national.

Young Scratch doesn't really care about such things. Though he might facetiously imply that crooked candidates have sold their souls for power and influence.

Economaster has been known to show support for policies, and is active in the financial/political arena on occasion, I think it would be rare for her to support someone and skew the 'free market' aspects of Democracy. More likely to OPPOSE a politician

I just about misspelled politician as 'PoliTitan'... a horrid, if persuasive, supervillain?

Well in my campaign world things are a little less stupid than reality. Having said that most the characters I've played wouldn't consider it. Though many NPC's I've created certainly would.

I could imagine most of my heroes possibly coming out in favor or against a particular law, though.

Stormwalker: Would be reluctant to endorse a politician due to His respect for the Constitution and the separation of Church and State. As a Demigod, His endorsement would seem to Him an excessive entanglement with politics. Besides, it's not certain any politician would want the endorsement of Someone who publicly regards Himself as a Divine Being and refers to Himself in capital letters.

Amphibian: Readily expresses himself on a range of political issues, but would probably stop short of endorsing a candidate. He'd be more likely to come out AGAINST a specific politician who exhibited anti-mutant bias or who proposed laws or policies detrimental to superbeings.

Lucius Alexander

Tired of the endless conflict between Left and Right? Support the Palindromedary Party!

Hmm, I forgot to come back and give my answer.

None of my heroes would endorse a politician.

Black Falcon's primary reason is her secret ID. She feels anyone who hides his/her true name should not make public announcements like that.

Psidestep has a different reason. Primus knows who he is. If he wants to be left alone, he will not encourage politicians by schmoozing it up with them. The best way to keep a politician out of your life is to stay out of theirs.

Shade feels it's a hero's responsibility to stay out of politics. He saves/protects people of all parties. Getting dragged into ofttimes bitter partisan fights is a battle he chooses not to engage.

20' date='30 years ago, maybe. In the modern political climate (aka 'nonstop s**tstorm'), aligning oneself with a politician is just asking to get raked over the PR coals.[/quote']Actually that's what one of my characters wants. In the campaign one of the other characters accidentally blurted out my character's secret ID. Then he tried to fix it by authorizing a million dollar ad campaign, "Jack Daystrom is not Smokin' Ace" which became an internet meme. Next the public started putting two and two together. So now my character (Daystrom) is running for governor of Illinois hoping that his rivals will create that nonstop storm, demolishing the internet meme and thus protecting his identity.

Re: Would your Hero endorse a politician?

Hmm, Seer wouldn't. His endorsement wouldn't actually help. He's more likely to meet a politician, scan their mind, determine if they are an honest or dishonest politician, then act as he sees appropriate.

Most politicians woudl wet themselves rather than meet with Blaze.

Hornet would support a politician he liked in his secret identity. He would not taint or endager his positive reputation or goodwill with citizenry, law enforcement and the government by becoming a political player.

• 3 weeks later...

Kaian: Has (despite his many many tarnishes, most of them known only to him) the public reputation of Captain America, and knows perfectly well what goes along with having that. He's ducked being drafted for public office on his own hook, he is like heck getting involved in that mess for anyone else.

Unless someone like Lex Luthor is running, in which case he'd do whatever it took to keep the guy out of the Presidency.

In there Heroic Identities, none of my characters would publicly endorse a candidate for any elected office as none of them want to go down that road.

In their private identities however, some of them might do some public endorsements. Vanguard runs a technology firm that specializes in futurists technology and would probably try to get close relations with a few Congressmen.

The only exception to this would be if a Lex Luthor or Norman Osborn style character was running for public office. In which case most of them would try to turn public opinion against them. (For example, if any of my characters were in the Marvel Universe during Dark Reign most if not all of them would have only referred to Osborn as "the Green Goblin" whenever a camera was around.)