THE BOOK OF THE EMPRESS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: THE BOOK OF THE EMPRESS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I would assume the Empress doesn't micro-manage. Seems like it would be a bit much for that big of an empire.

If she doesn't micro manage, she won't come after the heroes, or the Earth, repeatedly, which removes much of the source material.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't he with Tank Girl?

I would assume the Empress doesn't micro-manage. Seems like it would be a bit much for that big of an empire.

That's the opposite of how micro-management works. Micro-managing reduces management work by making it possible for everyone to do it for themselves. Very, very badly.

Officer: "This boat don't have life-jackets. Here's an Imperial citation. I'm confiscating it."

Commuter: "It isn't a boat. It's my car, and I need to get to work!"

Officer: "It's in the water, isn't it? Right here on my Citation Checklist, Form 0A-46Go2 [Clarification of Pertinent Circumstances], it says, 'See Explanation of Vehicle Types, Form 4A-72Bs5.' And I pull up the ol'4A-72 on my tablet, and it says, 'Boats are defined as watercraft. For definition of water, see....'"

Commuter: "Thanks, Officer. I don't need to see a definition of water. I need to see a definition of 'marine life.'"

Officer: "Hunh?"

Commuter: "Officer, I'm water breathing. Everyone in this dimension breathes water. Life jackets are for buoyancy. They get you to the surface. But we don't want to go to the surface. We don't breathe air. And even if we did, the only thing above the surface of the water here is cosmic radiation-bombarded, macro-storming hell."

Officer: "Says here youse needs a lifejacket in your boat. I'm confiscating your boat."

Commuter [opening his phone]: "Hi? Jim? Looks like I'm going to be late for work."

Officer: "Is youse operating a consumer electronic device underwater in violation of Imperial Recreational Scuba Diving Safety Regulation A-97B13?"

Commuter: "Sigh."

I wanna see someone off the wall' date=' but really Bad a** like Killer Roo![/b']

Say 550 to 600 points of hired assassin for the Empress...

"Pesky Heroes givin ya problems, eh Miss? Don't sweat it. Me an me mates will clean em up for you."

killeroobydeemonproduct.jpg

The problem here is that it would involve Tank Girl, Jet Girl, and possibly Sub Girl.

And you said "assassinate heroes" not "assassinate dimension" ... because this crew specializes in Overkill.

I am curious what life in the Empire is like overall. It easy to say its citizens trade their liberty for security but what does that mean exactly? How oppressive is her rule? Is it at level where someone could make a reasonable argument that its worth it or so Orwellian that you'd have to slightly unhinged to think it was an improvement? I imagine it will somewhere in between with characters of differing ideologies able to debate the pros and cons. Could make for very interesting role playing.

I am curious what life in the Empire is like overall. It easy to say its citizens trade their liberty for security but what does that mean exactly? How oppressive is her rule? Is it at level where someone could make a reasonable argument that its worth it or so Orwellian that you'd have to slightly unhinged to think it was an improvement? I imagine it will somewhere in between with characters of differing ideologies able to debate the pros and cons. Could make for very interesting role playing.

Along these lines - do citizens travel to other dimensions for vacation? is travel restricted? How easy is it either way?

Along these lines - do citizens travel to other dimensions for vacation? is travel restricted? How easy is it either way?

Perhaps there is some sort of 'loyalty measuring service' and permits are issued accordingly?

Here's a good one--assuming there are a few dimensions which are basically "alternates" of each other(or of the CU Earth)--what are the naming conventions to distinguish, say, one "Eliza Dushku" from another "Eliza Dushku"? Numbering(i.e. Eliza-07, Eliza-118, etc.)? Alphanumeric(Eliza-A12, Eliza-QQ413, etc.)? By dimension of origin(Eliza Dushku-Discworld, Eliza Dushku-Dinoworld, Eliza Dushku-New Brittania, etc.)?

Which brings up a somewhat more important question: how are the various dimensions under her control designated(IOW, what do they call each one, and is there an "administrative name", like "Sector D18", or somesuch?)?

Here's a good one--assuming there are a few dimensions which are basically "alternates" of each other(or of the CU Earth)--what are the naming conventions to distinguish, say, one "Eliza Dushku" from another "Eliza Dushku"? Numbering(i.e. Eliza-07, Eliza-118, etc.)? Alphanumeric(Eliza-A12, Eliza-QQ413, etc.)? By dimension of origin(Eliza Dushku-Discworld, Eliza Dushku-Dinoworld, Eliza Dushku-New Brittania, etc.)?

Which brings up a somewhat more important question: how are the various dimensions under her control designated(IOW, what do they call each one, and is there an "administrative name", like "Sector D18", or somesuch?)?

I know there is a genuine question in there somewhere , but I'm still fixated on the concept of infinite Elizas.

I know there is a genuine question in there somewhere ' date=' but I'm still fixated on the concept of infinite Elizas.[/quote']

You see billions and billions of Eliza Dushkus......

Just relax. Take a deep breath. Look at the Elizas. You see nothing but Eliza Dushku, repeated endlessly...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says to give it up. I may distract him but I won't be able to hypnotize Steve Long even with infinite Eliza Dushkus

You see billions and billions of Eliza Dushkus......

Just relax. Take a deep breath. Look at the Elizas. You see nothing but Eliza Dushku, repeated endlessly...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says to give it up. I may distract him but I won't be able to hypnotize Steve Long even with infinite Eliza Dushkus

It's just that with an infinite number of Elizas available it becomes possible that one of them would actually date me. It boggles the mind.

How about a situation where the Empress wins and things stay the same (or just get better in some ways) without the "loss of freedom" that was expected. The heroes are left thinking "why were we fighting?". Or how about a scenario where the heroes get attacked by an infinite number of Eliza Dushkus, and the Empress is the only one that can save them! :D

How about a situation where the Empress wins and things stay the same (or just get better in some ways) without the "loss of freedom" that was expected. The heroes are left thinking "why were we fighting?". Or how about a scenario where the heroes get attacked by an infinite number of Eliza Dushkus' date=' and the Empress is the only one that can save them! :D[/quote']

Who would want to be saved from such a glorious fate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Steve and all the staff and fans

You know what ?

Usually I don't o such demands but...

What about to include a small chapter to make the link between the Empress Empire and the "old" realities from precedent Champions Settings ?

In my mind, it exactly means : a link to Champions : the New Millenium *winks* I'd enjoy to have a good hook about it. Maybe something in link with the Gate Keys powers and such ?

Was this world invaded ? Spyed on ? AS we can see all edition as possible dimensions of the cosmverse...

Speaking about it, it could be a nice thing to have few sample of targets that the Empress will attempt to conquer, preparing her force for them, and the reason why she didn't try yet...

Opale

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if these were already mentioned but I'd like to see more details about

1) How do you conquer a whole universe/dimension? Is a dimension considered a small piece of a universe (like a solar system or galaxy). That way her empire could be in this universe but be a few billion light years away or even outside our visible universe?

2) How she deals with alternate versions of herself

3) Set up a difference between alternate universes and alternate timelines (if there is any, it's possible all alternate universes are really alternate timelines)

4) What these "loss of freedoms" are as described in the first Enemies book (Master Villains)? People toss the phrase around a lot but few actually explain what it means.

5) How much being conquered affects her worlds? Are they pretty much the same in terms of society or are they virtually enslaved? Do they have to give tribute or just pay lip service to the empire?

6) What sort of things are forbidden in the Empire? Is magic destroyed, encouraged, or coddled? Would they allow superheroes to help enforce the law on some worlds? Are there super villains within the empire and how are they dealt with?

I don't know if any of this will find its way into the book; perhaps some of you can use this in your campaigns--

--One of the possibilities that should be considered is that not every character's dimensional alternate will be identical to him/herself. An alternate Defender, for example, might have innate superpowers and wear a more traditional cape-and-tights costume. Sapphire might instead be a Japanese idol singer with chi powers and martial arts skills. Drogen Lar could still be a nigh-indestructible brick, but instead of metallic skin he'd have something more like elephant hide, and he'd resemble a bipedal Jabba the Hutt. And he obviously wouldn't be called Ironclad.

And as for Eliza Dushku--in one dimension she might look like Jessica Simpson; another she might look like Zoe Saldana. In yet another there would be an Elias Dushku, who's so hot even some of the guys want him. ;)

--It is a peculiarity of cosmic nature that in every reality Istvatha V'han attempts to conquer there is always one alternate self who will always attempt to oppose her, no matter what that character's powers or abilities. That person could be as powerful as V'han, or nowhere near as powerful--or even more powerful.

One possibility for this character could be Lady Blue--she seems ideal for the "Fight-The-Power" type--mainly because she is. She could easily fill a Princess Leia role in some alternate reality. Another possibility is Grond--perhaps because V'han represents a peculiar form of order, while Grond represents absolute chaos. (And like above, Grond does not have to be a four-armed, green-skinned giant--he could just as easily be an exploding cloud like from the Outer Limits episode "It Crawled Out Of The Woodwork.")

One more possibility could be Brad Powers--aka Bulldozer. In the reality we know he's a pro-wrestling wannabe; in a reality besieged by V'han's forces, he could be leading the resistance John Connor-style. Who knows--in yet another reality he could actually be a decent guy, the kind you'd want on your side in the fight against evil.

--V'han could decide to soften Earth's defenses by sending giant monsters to raze its cities and ravage the land. These could be anything from giant spiders, ants and grasshoppers to full-blown Kaiju. If any of your players wanted a character like Ultraman--now they have something to fight.

Hope that helps.

--It is a peculiarity of cosmic nature that in every reality Istvatha V'han attempts to conquer there is always one alternate self who will always attempt to oppose her' date=' no matter what that character's powers or abilities. That person could be as powerful as V'han, or nowhere near as powerful--or even more powerful.[/quote']

Nope, that is already ruled out. There is only one Istvatha in the entire Multiverse.

--V'han could decide to soften Earth's defenses by sending giant monsters to raze its cities and ravage the land. These could be anything from giant spiders' date=' ants and grasshoppers to full-blown [i']Kaiju[/i]. If any of your players wanted a character like Ultraman--now they have something to fight.

Hope that helps.

One thing I know for certain is, that this would be against her interest. Her goal is to take planets as intact as possible (the best way if the surrender or even follow on their own). Attacking it just for terror/colateral damage is not her way to do things.