Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

When they announced that Donny Osmond would be performing live on "Dancing With The Stars" last night, I was able to predict not only the song he would sing ("I'll Make a Man Out of You"; it was Disney night), but also the style of dance the couple would do to it (Paso Doble).

• 2 months later...

Actually, it just confirms that I'm Dad to two young children.

And yes, I've seen the LEGO Frozen Northern Lights special. I've never seen so much lampshade hanging and fourth-wall shattering crammed into 22 minutes before.

It was amazing.

I think everything in Canada comes from Tim Horton's now.

Comes from Tim Horton's what?

and if I find this Horton guy, how would I get a nerdy Canadian girlfriend from him?

Lucius Alexander

Would I say "Mr. Horton, I'll trade this palindromedary for a nerdy Canadian girlfriend?"

I've never seen a full episode of "The Big Bang Theory" or "Breaking Bad", but I'll happily watch a college football game involving teams I don't particularly know or like.

Never watched much Breaking Bad, couldn't get into it.  Cant watch college football that much though.  Baseball is really the only sport I have more than a passing interest in (football and basketball I can watch, but it isn't the same)

I only did "The Hobbit" -- and that's because it was assigned reading in my 5th grade class.

The funny thing is that I actually like The Hobbit. Aside from the part where Tolkien wimps out and knocks Bilbo unconscious so we don't actually get to see The Battle of Five Armies. That's one of my major complaints about The Lord of the Rings. There are so many epic scenes--like The Battle of Isengard--that we don't get to witness firsthand. We only see the aftermath. And as Led Zeppelin taught us, "The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath." (I think that was their way of saying they would like to have read descriptions of the actual battles and not just their results.) If Tolkien had actually written out those scenes in detail I might believe that The Lord of the Rings is the epic masterpiece so many people claim it to be. But then it would still be written in Tolkien's stodgy style so I doubt it.

The funny thing is that I actually like The Hobbit. Aside from the part where Tolkien wimps out and knocks Bilbo unconscious so we don't actually get to see The Battle of Five Armies. That's one of my major complaints about The Lord of the Rings. There are so many epic scenes--like The Battle of Isengard--that we don't get to witness firsthand. We only see the aftermath. And as Led Zeppelin taught us, "The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath." (I think that was their way of saying they would like to have read descriptions of the actual battles and not just their results.) If Tolkien had actually written out those scenes in detail I might believe that The Lord of the Rings is the epic masterpiece so many people claim it to be. But then it would still be written in Tolkien's stodgy style so I doubt it.

If it is any consolation Plato wimped out on the Atlantis vs Athens epic battle for Europe. We only know the result, not the details.