Reason for creating team.

L.Craig

I'm just starting my campaign , and have a group of heroes I'm trying to bring together. The first session I'm going to start by having the Heroes brought together to form a team. So my ideas so far is a rich ex hero brings them together, or maybe UNTIL. The campaign takes place in the CU in Vancouver. Vancouver has been without a team since Necrull took out the last one. So I'm asking for help in creating a plausible reason for someone to bring these individual heroes together and pretty much getting them to form a team .

Please help as my mind is drawing blanks

Re: Reason for creating team.

Ravenspeaker operates out of CU Vancouver. A powerful mystic hero with a direct line to a mythic god is a good plot device for drawing a team together. Perhaps a menace has nullified Ravenspeaker, but he manages to project his spirit to call the nearest heroes. Ravenspeaker's greatest enemy is the Haida death-god Tax'et -- should be able to do something with that. ;)

They are required to hunt down Necrull and bring him to justice?

CES

And next the punch out Grond with one hit, talk Dr. Destroyer to surrender and go on to shake up the Quilhoptic realm with one hand tied to their backs? Necrul is definitely a Space God, nothing you can just "hunt down". He'll kill you. And then revive you as part of his undead horde...

Ideas:

Perhaps Supervillians have been zeroing in on the city, since it is now without a team? Perhaps there has been a superhuman Escape (Prision; Prisioner Transfer). Perhaps there is information of some organised crime/supergroup planning something there? Or Perhaps multiple normally independetent Groups (Crime Families, Viper, Argent) suddenly start working togehter in that area, a alliance that has to be broken up?

Note that the reason to get there, doesn't needs to dictate the future campaign. Perhaps a disaster/emergency got them there in the first place and they just notice all the other stuff going wrong once they get there...

My favorite way to get a team together is pick the PC that is most likely to want to have a team, whether its because of moral imperative, vengence, mutual protection, or whatever, and talk with the player. If you can convince one of the players to recruit the team it takes much of the burden off of you and makes for some good role-playing. All you have to do is provide encounters so that the heroes can meet eachother under circumstances conducive to cooperation and then let the PC do the heavy lifting.

If none of the players are willing or none of the PC's have the appropriate personality, you can also try having an NPC bring them together for reasons of their own, someone like Professor X or Nick Fury. Write the NPC into each character's background as a trusted or respected figure and have them call the hero up. Personally I find that having a non-powered or low-powered NPC founding the group works best so the PCs don't get upstaged. If the NPC is wealthy, it also gives the heroes a way to get a base without having to raise their own money.

great idea guys seo i think Im just going to start it off with a rampaging monster or supervillian, with no other reason than to cause destruction. Is there any villians from the CU that would do that.Its going to be the opening scene to bring the players together, maybe it will be something summoned by DEMON. Any ideas would be helpful. After the battle the players will realize the city needs a group, as crime has been escalating with there being no group, and the RCMP and UNTIL resources are taxed to the max.

great idea guys seo i think Im just going to start it off with a rampaging monster or supervillian' date=' with no other reason than to cause destruction. Is there any villians from the CU that would do that.Its going to be the opening scene to bring the players together, maybe it will be something summoned by DEMON. Any ideas would be helpful. After the battle the players will realize the city needs a group, as crime has been escalating with there being no group, and the RCMP and UNTIL resources are taxed to the max.[/quote']

You could take Grond, be he is prpably overkill. He works best as a monster like Necrul: You can't beat him, but you might be able to thwart him.

I respectfully disagree that Grond would be overkill. As written he's a fine initial foe for a starting superhero team. Very strong and durable, yes; but he's also slow, dumb, and has several exploitable weaknesses. There's also little need to justify a rampage by Grond anywhere -- he's violent and easily angered.

I respectfully disagree that Grond would be overkill. As written he's a fine initial foe for a starting superhero team. Very strong and durable' date=' yes; but he's also slow, dumb, and has several exploitable weaknesses. There's also little need to justify a rampage by Grond anywhere -- he's violent and easily angered.[/quote']

yes Grond is a good idea, and I could say some master villian put grond up to it, but the characters dont know that for a while. Maybe some master villian is checking out the supers in Vancouver or maybe some type of Chaos master villian.

I'm just starting my campaign , and have a group of heroes I'm trying to bring together. The first session I'm going to start by having the Heroes brought together to form a team. So my ideas so far is a rich ex hero brings them together, or maybe UNTIL. The campaign takes place in the CU in Vancouver. Vancouver has been without a team since Necrull took out the last one. So I'm asking for help in creating a plausible reason for someone to bring these individual heroes together and pretty much getting them to form a team .

Heres an idea I've never seen. They band together because the villains have already teamed up.

Any menace more powerful than any single hero should be reason enough: a rampaging robot, invaders from subterranea, sea monster on the loose, weird science gone awry, a powerful wicked witch, etc.

You could always go the Defenders "non-team" route, where they only come together when there's a menace worthy of their combined powers and aren't a formal team with rules and memberships.

I try to avoid having them gathered together by another individual or agency (retired hero, UNTIL, etc.) as I find it works better when the PCs are self-motivated to take the initiative to form a team or to band together.

--Kap

There is an Idea that I have had kicking around for some time for a similar Vancouver campaign, although I have not lived there for a while now- some huge threat to the city appears, causing a being known only as Granville to approach each of the team members and ask for their assistance in stopping the menace. If they choose to stay together afterwards, that would be the true formation of the team. The reason that Granville seeks each of them out is because he is a city spirit given form, and while he is powerful within the city itself, his powers quickly fade outside of the city and he feels that he will need assistance to fight this threat. He could be used as a recurring contact and impetus for missions as well, as he is able to sense any threats to the city and its surronding areas.

I respectfully disagree that Grond would be overkill. As written he's a fine initial foe for a starting superhero team. Very strong and durable' date=' yes; but he's also slow, dumb, and has several exploitable weaknesses. There's also little need to justify a rampage by Grond anywhere -- he's violent and easily angered.[/quote']

And you won't like him when he's angry...

The team has to have a reason to form. They are just a bunch or random super powered individuals with no reason to be together.

I would recommend you go via the rich famous retired hero or Government / UNTIL route.

Tell them their city area does not have a super hero team and the area needs one. They have been chosen to be that team.

Bribe them with free contacts and a free base. But for this they have to play as a team and work together. Give them something they can trust in. The famous super hero who will give them advice, government officials who will give them resources and a base to plan the future. It gives them a grounding point for them. Plan a mission for them to launch into just after forming. Possibly a good reason why they need to form up.

I did it wrong. I gave them a shadowy government official. He had contacts but did not have the full suport of the government. I wanted to give them an option if they did not want to go the government route to do their own thing.

The problem was they did not trust him as he could not give them the whole picture. So they did not throw themselves behind the concept of being "good" heroes and on the first mission he sent them on they did not try and stop the villains as "that is not what they were told to do".

When I next start they are going to have a lot more resources thrown at them by the UK Government and UNTIL (well they have just saved the world from a lizard man plague). So a new base (the last one was only a large house) and lots of support staff.

A team can be as lossely as everyone having a communictor to contact the others. It doesn't needs to be a big benefactor, just some tech savy guy to whip up their own communicator system on their first meeting (or have them ready at their second).

Free base (even if it is not much) and free communciators are alsmost as must (keep in midn that you can also always disable free stuff; when they want it to be reliable, they need to invest points in it).

I respectfully disagree with you. Most starting heroes only need to get hit by Grond once to be out of the fight, because of the megascale knockback.