A new Enemies book: What would you want to see?

watson

Greetings, Champions fans!

My name is Ross Watson--a game designer by trade, and I've written a number of HERO articles for Digital Hero, EZ Hero, Haymaker! and Rogues' Gallery. I'm discussing a new Enemies-type book with Blackwyrm, and I want to hear what you guys think...

What would you like to see in a new Enemies book?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A new Enemies book: What would you want to see?

New characters

Interesting origins

Different takes on old power concepts

Good art

Either a really big book of villains for the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Iron ages, as MisterVimes suggest or good sized book for each age(say at least 50 each)

Greetings, Champions fans!

My name is Ross Watson--a game designer by trade, and I've written a number of HERO articles for Digital Hero, EZ Hero, Haymaker! and Rogues' Gallery. I'm discussing a new Enemies-type book with Blackwyrm, and I want to hear what you guys think...

What would you like to see in a new Enemies book?

Personal Note: Big fan of Vigil and of what FFG has done with 40k

This might not be what you have in mind. I would like to see a book, or at least a section of a book, devoted to themed groupings of "agent" level adversaries that are designed mechanically to work together, including descriptions of their coordinated tactics and potential weaknesses. And have the groupings play differently from each other.

Either a really big book of villains for the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Iron ages' date=' as MisterVimes suggest or good sized book for each age(say at least 50 each)[/quote']

I'll second these. I'd like to see a fairly wide range of power levels too, from basic thug to master villain.

Guest dan2448

I doubt that I would be interested in a straightforward 'rogues gallery,' myself. But maybe if they were linked in some novel way, or somehow formed the backbone of an intriguing meta plot, I might be interested.

I'll second the vote for some interesting meta-plot connections. In the Champions Universe, I would like to see:

i) New villains tied to the Zodiac Working.

ii) "Dimensional" menaces, including Sixth Dimensional villains.

iii) Martians.

iv) Time travel-related villains.

v) Champions 3000 rogues.

I'll second a female super-genius, they seem to be lacking in the CU...will the book presume to be in the CU?

I'll also say good art. And a consistent style - not necessarily the same artist, but I found the "Animated Series" look on some of the Champions Villains to distract from envisioning them in the CU; where as Icons all uses that look and there it just is part of the feel.

I'd like some unusual "Normal" Crime lords, yer Kingpin, Owl, Penguin, Riddler, etc. but with some variety, some should be clearly more capable than others in various areas.

Having always wanted to do an Enemies book of my own, my hat is off to you!

If this were for the official Champions Universe, I'd like to see a villainous master of cybernetics/bionics. The published setting has several criminal genetic engineers -- Teleios, Dr. Moreau, King Cobra, the Overbrain -- but no one specializing in cyborgs. Perhaps Cryptic Studios would allow their interpretation of Cyberlord to go into a PnP book; or you might revive Dr. Samuel Levy (and his cyborg panthers).

I'll second the vote for some interesting meta-plot connections. In the Champions Universe, I would like to see:

i) New villains tied to the Zodiac Working.

ii) "Dimensional" menaces, including Sixth Dimensional villains.

iii) Martians.

iv) Time travel-related villains.

v) Champions 3000 rogues.

The Zodiac Working is one of the more interesting character origins in the setting IMHO, and we only have one of its twelve products as an official character. There's a Japanese Sixth Dimensional villain named Teikei who hasn't been written up yet. Champions Beyond describes some interesting Martian entities.

IMO, most of the villain books have had a shortage of foes at the power level of starting characters. So a number of villains at about 400 points would be nice.

Also, a wide variety of villain motivations is good. Personally, I was disappointed that Villains, Vandals and Vermin did not have any actual vandals, or for that matter any literal vermin.

IMO, most of the villain books have had a shortage of foes at the power level of starting characters. So a number of villains at about 400 points would be nice.

Also, a wide variety of villain motivations is good. Personally, I was disappointed that Villains, Vandals and Vermin did not have any actual vandals, or for that matter any literal vermin.

Just wait for "Villains, Vandals and Vermin II: Rise of the Rat King"!

Some ideas:

- Street-level villains in the vein of Spider-man

- "Cerebral" villains in the vein of Batman (and Lex Luthor for that matter)

- "Friendly" villains like the Flash's rogues

- "One-Note/One Trick Pony" villains like from countless comic books in the Golden and Silver ages

Some Street Level villains some powered, some not but with room to "upgrade" them to higher end campaigns.

Some "One Trick Ponies" One shot villains with an unusual shtick or frustrating power good for a session or two until the PCs figure out their gimmick and beat it.

4th Stringers, low powered, perhaps somewhat goofy villains good for comedic games and to gang up on solo heroes and/or fill out a Rogue gallery.

New characters

Interesting origins

Different takes on old power concepts

Good art

Either a really big book of villains for the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Iron ages, as MisterVimes suggest or good sized book for each age(say at least 50 each)

I second all these, but would add Plot Seeds and Adventures showcasing each Supervillain's schtick.

Cheers

QM

Come to think of it, why not a few villains to act as foils for each classic Champions Psychological Complication (Code of the Hero, Code versus Killing, etc)?

Perhaps make a few generic mook characters and then provide templates associated with various villains presented within the book for quick "villain + mooks" generation.

Probably try to keep a balanced ratio between superpowers, magic, gadgets, and highly trained normals. For that matter, probably try to keep a fair balance between the archetypes as presented in Champions 6e.

I second all these, but would add Plot Seeds and Adventures showcasing each Supervillain's schtick.

Cheers

QM

Heartily second the plot seeds. While I approve of the format changes to the villains' write-ups for Sixth Edition, the plot seeds included with all the villains in Fifth were one of my favorite parts.

Also' date=' a wide variety of villain motivations is good. Personally, I was disappointed that [i']Villains, Vandals and Vermin[/i] did not have any actual vandals, or for that matter any literal vermin.

Well, Vesper could be considered rather "verminous." While SARGON's armor is particularly well suited to large-scale destruction; in fact his first use of it was to destroy a building, and his Personality/Motivation section says he loves doing just that.

Just wait for "Villains' date=' Vandals and Vermin II: Rise of the Rat King"![/quote']

A Rival for the Lord of Rats from Champions Worldwide. ;)

A Japanese or Chinese organisation not tied to the Yakuza, Triads or Tongs would be nice.

A villain that is a bit like Dick Dasterdly. His plans are doomed perhaps to fail but he has style.

Something different for an American Villain. A Unionist pledged to destroy the South once and for all. It's usually the Confederates doing the South Will Rise Again so this is the opposite side of the coin.

A French villain out to destroy the United States for all the slurs against France.

Villains from India.

A Succubus and/or an Incubus

I'm still new to the system and hadn't read any of the older villain books yet; so, I may be requesting things that already exist, but I would be interested in themed villain groups like the Salem Seven and The Serpent Society of Marvel and The Royal Flush Gang of DC.