A new Enemies book: What would you want to see?

watson

Re: A new Enemies book: What would you want to see?

Um, I've been hesitant to give my opinion on this issue, because I didn't want to stifle anyone's enthusiasm... but I don't know how many other people feel as I do, and this thread is for fan feedback...

Well, after collecting Champions villains books since the very beginning of the game, published by Hero Games and other companies, I really don't feel the need to buy another one. I have enough for more than a decade of regular gaming, even if I never created any more original villains. Many of those older villains I've never even gotten around to using yet.

So, unless a new volume has some really original, innovative spin to it, I will likely pass on it. I'm sorry, I wish I could be more encouraging. :( And if a chorus of people post here saying I'm full of it and they can never get enough new villains, I'll be glad to be proven the exception rather than the rule. :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A part of the growing-up process in Hero, IME, is seeing what other people have done and saying "Wow, I never would have thought of doing it that way". With that in mind, Enemies books should always be available for the new guys just coming on board. And I still see things other people have put together and say "Wow..." Even if I never use the characters in the book, I find such things to be useful.

I've been developing a project for a rival supers game that's a roster book, and i won't get into details since that's just not kosher on the HERO boards, obviously. But I will say I feel vindicated in several of my design decisions by the things requested in this thread. Multi-Comics Age material, backbone themes, story seeds, and several other posts make me feel good. And I echo all of that sort of thing for any new Enemies books from the HERO rules. I love versatility, and any way to make a character in a book do two or three or more directions depending on a campaign's needs is a big plus to me as well.

Take care

Don

Well, you already need to create a setting other than the Champions Universe™, so you might as well make the most of it. Give it a different feel. Maybe the default power level is lower (300 points). Maybe superpowers all have a common source (mutants, magic, etc), or some sources are prohibited (no ultra-tech). Create a different timeline (similar to Wild Cards or Watchmen), or a completely different setting (fantasy superheros). I realize that you might lose some sales by going away from a generic superhero setting, but you might also lose sales by being just a collection of 400-point characters with no connection to anything.

Well' date=' you already need to create a setting other than the Champions Universe™, so you might as well make the most of it. Give it a different feel. Maybe the default power level is lower (300 points). Maybe superpowers all have a common source (mutants, magic, etc), or some sources are prohibited (no ultra-tech). Create a different timeline (similar to [i']Wild Cards[/i] or Watchmen), or a completely different setting (fantasy superheros). I realize that you might lose some sales by going away from a generic superhero setting, but you might also lose sales by being just a collection of 400-point characters with no connection to anything.

I've been thinking that Hero Games might want to create a setting other than the Champions Universe™. Since it no longer owns the IP and and the company that does own the IP now way off in China, Hero might want some superhero IP that it under its own control. Maybe it could be called the Hero Universe. It would be a great opportunity to update the franchise and maybe generate some buzz. Personally, I would be tickled pink to give input on such a project.

it is my understanding that after his initial appearance, Foxbat was deemed underpowered and a contest was held where Players could donate their unspent experience points to Him, to my knowledge this updated version has not appeared, That is what I would like to see.

it is my understanding that after his initial appearance' date=' Foxbat was deemed underpowered and a contest was held where Players could donate their unspent experience points to Him, to my knowledge this updated version has not appeared, That is what I would like to see.[/quote']

He's still around in Champions Villains 3 (pg 117), and is built on 400 points.

I've been thinking that Hero Games might want to create a setting other than the Champions Universe™. Since it no longer owns the IP and and the company that does own the IP now way off in China' date=' Hero might want some superhero IP that it under its own control. Maybe it could be called the Hero Universe. It would be a great opportunity to update the franchise and maybe generate some buzz. Personally, I would be tickled pink to give input on such a project.[/quote']

I concur completely.

I've been thinking that Hero Games might want to create a setting other than the Champions Universe™. Since it no longer owns the IP and and the company that does own the IP now way off in China' date=' Hero might want some superhero IP that it under its own control. Maybe it could be called the Hero Universe. It would be a great opportunity to update the franchise and maybe generate some buzz. Personally, I would be tickled pink to give input on such a project.[/quote']

I disagree. Hero Games already has a license for the Champions IP. Why should they spend the effort to create a parallel, competing product? I think that the Hero Universe (like the name, but it's already taken) would work better as a third-party product or a fan collaboration (wiki?).

I disagree. Hero Games already has a license for the Champions IP. Why should they spend the effort to create a parallel' date=' competing product? I think that the Hero Universe (like the name, but it's already taken) would work better as a third-party product or a fan collaboration (wiki?).

Not overly surprised that the name Hero Universe is taken. Okay, how about as a working title the Singularity Now Universe (SNU) until someone suggest something better (which will hopefully be in the next few post). This would be a competing the Champions Universe only when someone is standing in the store and picks the SNU book instead of the CU book. If the person already owns the CU book and buys the SNU book too, or picks up the SNU book but wouldn't consider buying the CU book then it's not competing. At that point it is not a competing product but an additional product.

As for Hero vs third-party vs fan collaboration, I really think Hero could use some superheroic IP in case Perfect World restricts control of the IP either intentionally of simply by failing to sign off on IP decisions. Maybe that is not a real possibility. Maybe the contract is written in such a way that can't happen. Still, I worry. Also, Champion Online is Hero-ish. What if in 10 years there is an opportunity to make a actual Hero system computer game. Wouldn't it be nice to have a product that someone else didn't own the rights with which to make that dream a reality.

However, if it only can happen as third-party or a fan collaboration, I would be game for that too.

The entire purpose behind the adventures I write at this point is to create an alternative world in case the IP for the MMO hurls Hero under the bus. Plus, I'm not a big fan of the way the CU works in terms of fairness to all characters and logistics, but that's a whole different ball of wax. You guys can create a different thread for that and yell at me there.

it is my understanding that after his initial appearance' date=' Foxbat was deemed underpowered and a contest was held where Players could donate their unspent experience points to Him, to my knowledge this updated version has not appeared, That is what I would like to see.[/quote']

If memory serves, Foxbat made that suggestion in one of his responses to a reader letter in Adventurer's Club. My stash is packed away somewhere so I can't verify which issue that was.

I'd like to see some "fuzzy boundary" villains-like a all-female crew of supervillians that is more about "the score" and succeeding at "handing" the biggest things around than taking over the world. Or "a team of supervillans that can't seem to shoot straight..."

I'd also would like to see some "middle-tier" supervillian groups and teams. If you somehow knock out VIPER, or manage to throw The Warlord in a jail and lose the key...some possible people ready to make the jump to the next level. Or have the players "help" them get to the next level by using them.

If memory serves' date=' Foxbat made that suggestion in one of his responses to a reader letter in Adventurer's Club. My stash is packed away somewhere so I can't verify which issue that was.[/quote']

In a later issue, it was noted he'd received all sorts of xp, but hadn't yet figured out that he couldn't actually spend other peoples' XP.

what about some of your thoughts on some of the characters you want to present?

just some teaser back stories

maybe a pic or 2

Thanks for the feedback folks' date=' and definitely keep it coming! I am paying attention. :)[/quote']

A villain with vast powers but discoverable and exploitable weaknesses.

A villainous pair of hero team infiltrators,the Ringers, who tend to reveal themselves due to an overwhelming urge to "go Mary Sue and Marty Stu" on their teammates.

I think you'll find that I already made that proposal a page or so back, dude. And mine had silver hair and purple eyes! And a pet space dragon.