In other news...

tkdguy

However, being one that has to drive home from work after-dark. I absolutely hate the way car-lights are now. Essentially it seems the high-beam of 20 years ago, is now essentially the default low-beam.

This.

When I am in charge (it is inevitable I tell you) these high powered halogen style lights will be illegal. They just encourage faster driving while destroying the night vision of on-coming drivers.

As to charging I think that could be handled by battery stations that would swap out batteries. Out comes the old battery which goes on an analyzer/charger and in goes an analyzed charged battery. You pay and go.

This is all I would need to embrace the technology. Being bound to a spot while the ol' car charges is simply not acceptable to a wandering spirit like myself. If "Battery Stations" replaced "Gas Stations" and I could get the same distance/convenience ratio, the mechanism under the hood is largely irrelevant. 

The light on my phone is probably brighter than any old incandescent. The huge 5 D-cell maglites were probably the peak of incandescent flashlight tech. Halogens were blinding for a few years around the millennium, though battery life was intentionally poor. I replaced the halogen bulb in my Surefire with an LED about ten years ago.

Not having a phone means I don't have that flashlight opportunity, but I do have a little LED flashlight that lives plugged into the lighter socket, which serves admirably when I drop something at night and it rolls under the car.

I have kept the old bulbs in my two Maglight truncheon-lights (those take 3 D cells) because I use them so infrequently: most of the time, such occasions are when the truncheon option might actually be useful. Also, they are big enough they are easy to find by feel in the tray on what serves as my nightstand, which is again correlated with the truncheon option. They also have the variable reflector position, so they are adjustable, somewhat, in how the light gets thrown.

Here at the office I keep a hand-size LED light for when I'm working up on the roof on a star party night, or when I'm in the optics lab when it's darkened.

For crawlspace work at home (and it really is a crawlspace; no adult can "stand" even on their knees down there) I've got an LED spelunking headlamp I got at REI. Or I had one; when I pulled it out a couple months ago the batteries had peed in it, so I probably I will get another one before Christmas (since the decorations are stowed in there, I will need it before I would receive it as a requested present).

LED tech is still developing, so the color balance in them and available illumination power are things where I expect more choices to appear on the market over the near future.

This is all I would need to embrace the technology. Being bound to a spot while the ol' car charges is simply not acceptable to a wandering spirit like myself. If "Battery Stations" replaced "Gas Stations" and I could get the same distance/convenience ratio, the mechanism under the hood is largely irrelevant.

OTOH if you are privileged enough to own a home, then the charging station is in your garage, and you don't have to stop and get out of the car to recharge it in the sleet in the middle of winter. That can cut down on the inconvenience dramatically.

If you're going cross country, supercharger charge times are 20 minutes for 50% or just over an hour for 100%. So yeah, you'd have to plan that around shopping or lunch or something.

I own a home, but the "garage" is listed as a third bedroom* according to the deed. While I considered a Chevy Volt, it just wasn't practical. So, I went with a Prius.

*I don't think that it was ever a garage, as there's evidence that this and the neighboring townhouse were used  as some sort of office/demo property. There's the ghost of a doorway in my next-door neighbor's living room that would have let to my garage, and both houses had speakers installed underneath the windows, probably for some sort of Muzak.

This.

When I am in charge (it is inevitable I tell you) these high powered halogen style lights will be illegal. They just encourage faster driving while destroying the night vision of on-coming drivers.

Yeah, you gotta point I do find myself driving faster to get distance.  Though more often (especially if I am in the back of a convoy" of cars) I just pull off the road so they can go by, and get back on behind them. 

Course, at least once a week it seems, on the 4-lane part on the way home, when seeing the lights behind me I immediately think "gotta be a big ass pickup truck back there" only for 10-15 seconds, see those lights go by and realize it was something like a Honda Accord.

Note: I also tend to go through the country road, if I get especially frustrated, though not at this time of year since its deer mating season I think. 

Not having a phone means I don't have that flashlight opportunity, but I do have a little LED flashlight that lives plugged into the lighter socket, which serves admirably when I drop something at night and it rolls under the car.

I have kept the old bulbs in my two Maglight truncheon-lights (those take 3 D cells) because I use them so infrequently: most of the time, such occasions are when the truncheon option might actually be useful. Also, they are big enough they are easy to find by feel in the tray on what serves as my nightstand, which is again correlated with the truncheon option. They also have the variable reflector position, so they are adjustable, somewhat, in how the light gets thrown.

Here at the office I keep a hand-size LED light for when I'm working up on the roof on a star party night, or when I'm in the optics lab when it's darkened.

For crawlspace work at home (and it really is a crawlspace; no adult can "stand" even on their knees down there) I've got an LED spelunking headlamp I got at REI. Or I had one; when I pulled it out a couple months ago the batteries had peed in it, so I probably I will get another one before Christmas (since the decorations are stowed in there, I will need it before I would receive it as a requested present).

LED tech is still developing, so the color balance in them and available illumination power are things where I expect more choices to appear on the market over the near future.

I have a cell-phone that I take with me and leave in my car, in case of emergency,  but will only use if absolutely needed.  I use it so infrequently, I actually don't know my own cellphone phone number.  As I only turn it on to make a call.  I hate phones in general (all my life) and rarely (and possibly never) have a phone call that last over 5 minutes.

Storms coming towards Britain have recently begun to get names. The latest is Brian which is delighting fans of the British group The Arctic Monkeys.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/uk-storms-2017-2018-brian-brianstorm-arctic-monkeys-song-a7946541.html

Huh, I thought they'd be going with "Stormy MC Stormface" :winkgrin:

why would electric cars be a privacy issue? The real privacy issue is cameras everywhere and corporations demanding access to employees social media or else.

As to charging I think that could be handled by battery stations that would swap out batteries. Out comes the old battery which goes on an analyzer/charger and in goes an analyzed charged battery. You pay and go.

Well I guess that would create some jobs for the lower end workers. Unless it was automated and then it would eliminate even those. How many years do you expect to an affordable electric car will allow a trip of an excess of 280 miles? That's from my nearest city to Seattle from my house it would actually be a about 325 I don't see it being helpful for a lot of us for a long time. My round trip commute is 50 miles or better.

[url=https://www.yahoo.com/news/naive-disillusioned-britons-returning-syria-165145397.html]Naive and disillusioned Britons returning from Syria should not be prosecuted, says terror law

Wow. Magnanimity in its purest form. You across the pond have my respect.

Ihope the intelligence services are very accurate in deciding which of them are stone-cold killers, and whic can be re-integrated...