In other news...

tkdguy

21 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Effective if likely unintentional pun, to be sure.

A quick glance at Florida battery law...it looks like it's misdemeanor charges, but I wouldn't be surprised if prosecutors try to elevate.  But there will likely be other moves...he won't be flying Frontier any time soon, for example.

EDIT:  Cygnia, they're on paid leave while the incident is investigated.  This is pretty much standard.  I don't expect they'll be disciplined;  certainly they shouldn't be, from what the stories describe.  Duct-taping his mouth shut *might* be considered excessive, but if the moron was being as disruptive (even bound) as described, I think it's a prudent move.  Forcibly restraining him was completely justified;  his actions endanger the flight.

If he was behaving that badly, half a dozen passengers will have taken video of the incident. So you'll probably have multiple angles of the incident at the least if not complete audio.

21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Of course.  Murder on the Orient Express.  Not a bad movie, but a good example of the failure of the studio system.  Casting was big-name but NOT necessarily well-chosen.

I thought that Albert Finney did fine as Hercule Poirot, and the cast was really good, too.

14 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

I thought that Albert Finney did fine as Hercule Poirot, and the cast was really good, too.

Finney was OK, but I wasn't fond of Anthony Perkins, Sean Connery, or Richard Widmark particularly.  Martin Balsam didn't fit right as Bianchi.  Don't recall if any of the ladies cast were a real issue;  I do recall that the Countess Dragomirov role came off a bit forced to me, but...I read the book a long time ago.  Caught the movie last year.  To me it just felt like the actors were, too often, being their screen selves...not their characters.  YMMV.  It was well received at the time.

Slow sports day, or final proof that ESPN has totally lost it?

ESPN 2 is currently showing a cherry pit spitting competition.

I kid you not.

EDIT:  and they followed it up with Marble Racing.  OK, well, this one's described as a spoof/parody of Olympic events, but still...

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I did like Branaugh's version.  Apparently, his Poroit's mustache was more like the one in Christie's books than Suchet's.

I must admit, I kept on thinking “the Mustache and his trusty sidekick “ whenever they would enter a scene.

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

Finney's performance is not that well regarded. David Suchet is the consummate Poirot.

May we all agree that it doesn't take many little gray cells to recognize Suchet's brilliance? He inhabited Poirot, after JEeemy Brett was such a good Sherlock Holmes that he might have actually been Sherlock Holmes transported forward in time.

The Joan Hickson Miss Marple series from the same period was just as superbly acted by the lead. Hickson captured the physical and mental characteristics of the spinster lady with the keen powers of observation and the knowledge to come of having "plumbed the depths of human depravity". Did Agatha Christie ever give Jane Marple a real backstory?

The problem with some of it is writers trying to make it more relevant by changing things such as having two lesbians as killers instead of a husband and wife in one Miss Marple story; in John Malkovich's Poirot he was a priest not a police inspector and also a bit of a fraud; Geraldine McEwan's Marple was put into stories that were not Marple ones and then they were not that good. The Body in the Library was one of the altered stories with lesbian killers instead of husband and wife.

Nemesis has nuns instead of the three sisters.

14 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

May we all agree that it doesn't take many little gray cells to recognize Suchet's brilliance? He inhabited Poirot, after JEeemy Brett was such a good Sherlock Holmes that he might have actually been Sherlock Holmes transported forward in time.

The Joan Hickson Miss Marple series from the same period was just as superbly acted by the lead. Hickson captured the physical and mental characteristics of the spinster lady with the keen powers of observation and the knowledge to come of having "plumbed the depths of human depravity". Did Agatha Christie ever give Jane Marple a real backstory?

I don't think so. Apparently she lived her whole life in St Mary's Mead, watching people be ugly to each other

CES 

I don't get creeped out, I get disgusted.  Only part of it is the genocide;  an equal part is the suggestion that it was divinely justified.

I try to avoid the genre but there's a LOT of it that tries to slide under the radar masquerading as sci fi, urban fantasy, and superhero genres.