7th Edition thoughts

I think my larger, underlying point is, economics and lack of incentives for the established purveyors is not an absolute bar to further experimentation and innovation.

Agreed limited to that issue, however at some point the IP rights would have to be dealt with if it is to be a going economic concern, especially insofar as it would or would not be 7th edition. (It should also be noted that just because you don't ever make money off of it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a violation of IP rights)

I nearly missed the Fantasy Hero Complete kickstarter. I never saw an advertisement about it... never saw it mentioned on any other rpg website... until it was practically over and this is a combination of both herogames not getting the word out and the fans of the game not spreading the word about it. Heck, I posted the link to the kickstarter on it's last two days on rpg.net just letting people know that this game existed on kickstarter. If they would have somebody post on all the different rpg websites like enworld.org and rpg.net when their games hit kickstarter that'd be a big help but this never did happen. Now I don't even know if I will be able to get a copy of the game book because the company might only print enough copies of the book for those who backed it. I don't know though.

Fans did create Fantasy Hero Complete Kickstarter threads or posts to the existing Kickstarter threads on RPGnet, ENworld and RPGgeek during that time frame.  I even made regular updates to the ENworld and RPGgeek threads.

Fans did create Fantasy Hero Complete Kickstarter threads or posts to the existing Kickstarter threads on RPGnet, ENworld and RPGgeek during that time frame.  I even made regular updates to the ENworld and RPGgeek threads.

I didn't see them... but that doesn't mean I am arguing with you either because it is pretty easy to miss things like this at times.

I never go to rpggeek, just boardgamegeek.

On the topic of the idea of posting on a website an "unofficial 7th edition" variant in a non-profit way... I don't know if that would be cool to do. Perhaps if the entire website was written as a blog, and each blog entry focused on different elements of the game as it is and then what optional house rules there are, things like that... than perhaps over time there could be enough material to solidify it all as a Hero System variant book but definitely couldn't sell it.

Gold Rush Games' Action system (more or less based on Fuzion) is OGL.   :whistle:

I forgot that that existed, thanks. Seems dead as doornail, though. The action system domain is parked, and while they actually have a superheroic setting, they never published their power construction system...

Well one other thing I'd love to see somehow worked into any possible 7th edition is making it so making certain types of characters like Rogue of the X-Men or Batman's Utility Belt would be a lot easier than the apparent near impossibility that it is right now.

Do you have a mechanism for making it easier?

Batman's utility belt is just a gadget pool. a really big one. coupled with a multi-power to represent all his standard gear that he carries all the time.

Rogue is only tough to do because she can take people's powers semi permanently if she really pushes it (like what she did to Danvers) but other than that she has a fairly standard mimic power pool. it just has to be absurdly large to accurately portray rogue. the only people who have trouble simulating iconic comic book characters are those who limit themselves with active point caps and whatnot.

Batman's utility belt is just a gadget pool. a really big one. coupled with a multi-power to represent all his standard gear that he carries all the time.

No Multipower is required.

From this example.

46 The Utility Belt: Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 30 base + 30 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (2 or more slots with a combined Real Cost of 30 Real Points can be active at any one time; +1/2), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (67 Active Points); Limited Class of Powers (Gadgets) Operates like a Multipower with a Dozen or so different slots ALL with the Extra Time (Half Phase) to Activate Limitation (The specific set of slots carried at any one time can be swapped out at the Batcave; -1/2); all slots Restrainable (Must be able to reach individual compartments; -1/2), IIF (The Belt is IIF (worn) Individual active slots are IIF at a minimum but can be OAF, OIF or IAF (in hand); -1/4)

[Notes: This is just a small sampling of what is typically carried.  For inspiration to create more slots see the example Utility Belt Multipower in the Hero System Equipment Guide (6e) on pages 186-187.]

0    1) Batarangs: Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), 2 clips of 6 Recoverable Charges (-0) Real Cost: 10 [Notes: Up to 8d6 with Batarang Fu Basic Shot.] - END=[6 rc]

0    2) Taser Knuckles: Hand-To-Hand Attack (vs. Energy Defense) +6d6 (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), 4 clips of 8 Charges (-0) Real Cost: 13 [Notes: Up to 12d6 with Bat Fu Martial Strike.] - END=[8]

0    3) Flash Pellets: Sight Group Flash 4d6, Area Of Effect (32m Radius Explosion; +1/2) (30 Active Points); IAF (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), 16 Charges (-0) Real Cost: 13 - END=[16]

0    4) Batlines: Swinging 30m, x4 Noncombat (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 clips of 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/2) Real Cost: 12 - END=[12 rc]

0    5) Bat Bolas: Entangle 2d6, 4 PD/4 ED (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 clips of 6 Recoverable Charges (-0) Real Cost: 12 - END=[6 rc]

Do you have a mechanism for making it easier?

Me, not right now... but if there are powers called Transform or Shapeshift or Multi-Form than it should be possible to create a power called Power Mimic or Power Leach or something like that that sort of functions in a similar vein to these other already established powers I'd think.

A VPP would be your power mimic
you just need to make it large enough

Multiform could do a copy so long as the the copier is more points than the copyee and the copier does not mind locking up 1 of his forms

a Drain w/ a linked Aid could do the trick of the old transfer power you just have to buy the Aid fade time up to have it for a while

Me, not right now... but if there are powers called Transform or Shapeshift or Multi-Form than it should be possible to create a power called Power Mimic or Power Leach or something like that that sort of functions in a similar vein to these other already established powers I'd think.

IIRC the "problem" with Rogue in Hero terms is that she's actually an extremely powerful character. So of course she has a very high CP total in order to accommodate a drain that'll suck an opponent down to nothing in a couple of phases, plus high level telepathy, plus a VPP that can permanently copy any set of powers. Admittedly those powers come with some big disadvantages and complications, but still.

IIRC the "problem" with Rogue in Hero terms is that she's actually an extremely powerful character. So of course she has a very high CP total in order to accommodate a drain that'll suck an opponent down to nothing in a couple of phases, plus high level telepathy, plus a VPP that can permanently copy any set of powers. Admittedly those powers come with some big disadvantages and complications, but still.

Well she only really permanently copied one person's powers that I know of, but I am not the biggest expert on the actual comic book history of its many characters.

I guess I don't understand why a power like this has to be so difficult... and I think that for me if a 7th Edition were to ever be made than it should definitely have a specific power that is basically Power Leaching/Mimic and like Shapeshifting and Transformation it probably would be a power that has different point cost scales per die cost but the basics of it could simply be like...

basic concept of a Mimic Power power:

~ Mimic (Power): 3 (or 5, or 10) points per 1d6 and these dice represent a pool of points that, when rolled, allow a person to Mimic the Powers of another person. These rolled points can only mimic actual Powers of the touched person, not natural human characteristic traits and skills. In order for this to work you must be able to touch the target and this could require a attack roll if the target is actively avoiding being touched. When this power is rolled after a successful touch the total points rolled is the amount of Real Points (maybe Active Points would be better... I have no idea) of the touched target's powers are mimicked. You gain the use of those powers for a certain amount of time (insert an average time duration similar to other powers where you have access/use of those powers for like a full combat turn or two and the total rolled determines how long you have these powers before they go away) and when the time is over the powers simply vanish.

Now within this power there can be guidelines for using specific Power Advantages and Disadvantages on how to customize it further, like using it at a Range or using it for copying skills and/or actual Characteristics and basically give it the fine details that all the other powers have. One key Power Advantage that would have to be touched on is Leaching Powers and the fine art of using this power for stealing powers temporarily instead of just mimicking them.

As for this kind of power this is where my thoughts are right now. Just brainstorming possibilities.

I think it would also be something to consider for any future edition is combining some powers together that really fit thematically together, like Damage Negation and Damage Reduction. Both of these pretty much read the same and could also be combined with the Resistance Powers in the game. Just some thoughts. Why do we have to have so many specific different uses of what appears to be so similar conceptually? (please note I ask these questions without having played the game much and consider this a Hero System noob question who wants to understand why this game is the way it is as it is now). :)

A mimic VPP would do this w/ no dice needed
you just needed a large enough VPP
the old power Transfer was 15pts per die and limited to 1 power at a time and had a fade rate that would need to be bought up along w/ how many powers are affected

Now you would use a combo of Drain and Aid to emulate the old Transfer power

really Rogue is not a hard build to do(for me your mileage may vary)
Rogue is an EXTREAMLLY COSTLY build

She is akin to Superman or Batman if you gave them all the stuff they have done over the years in cost

Well she only really permanently copied one person's powers that I know of, but I am not the biggest expert on the actual comic book history of its many characters.

I guess I don't understand why a power like this has to be so difficult... and I think that for me if a 7th Edition were to ever be made than it should definitely have a specific power that is basically Power Leaching/Mimic and like Shapeshifting and Transformation it probably would be a power that has different point cost scales per die cost but the basics of it could simply be like...

basic concept of a Mimic Power power:

~ Mimic (Power): 3 (or 5, or 10) points per 1d6 and these dice represent a pool of points that, when rolled, allow a person to Mimic the Powers of another person. These rolled points can only mimic actual Powers of the touched person, not natural human characteristic traits and skills. In order for this to work you must be able to touch the target and this could require a attack roll if the target is actively avoiding being touched. When this power is rolled after a successful touch the total points rolled is the amount of Real Points (maybe Active Points would be better... I have no idea) of the touched target's powers are mimicked. You gain the use of those powers for a certain amount of time (insert an average time duration similar to other powers where you have access/use of those powers for like a full combat turn or two and the total rolled determines how long you have these powers before they go away) and when the time is over the powers simply vanish.

Now within this power there can be guidelines for using specific Power Advantages and Disadvantages on how to customize it further, like using it at a Range or using it for copying skills and/or actual Characteristics and basically give it the fine details that all the other powers have. One key Power Advantage that would have to be touched on is Leaching Powers and the fine art of using this power for stealing powers temporarily instead of just mimicking them.

As for this kind of power this is where my thoughts are right now. Just brainstorming possibilities.

I think it would also be something to consider for any future edition is combining some powers together that really fit thematically together, like Damage Negation and Damage Reduction. Both of these pretty much read the same and could also be combined with the Resistance Powers in the game. Just some thoughts. Why do we have to have so many specific different uses of what appears to be so similar conceptually? (please note I ask these questions without having played the game much and consider this a Hero System noob question who wants to understand why this game is the way it is as it is now). :)

If the power construct can be built with the tools at hand, with examples given, why does a totally new power need to be made to accommodate?

To make it easier because right now I don't understand the current 'tools' to make such a power and anything that makes it easier for people new to this game makes the game better as a whole. The less complex the better in all honesty.

People always state that Hero System can make anything, that anything is possible and that it has the most robust customization of about any toolkit game and yet it's nearly impossible to make certain kinds of character's due to how the game is: A- Perceived to be really complex,  and B- The fact that making character's like Superman and Rogue is nearly impossible unless a person has an allotment of points way above everybody else and these two factors alone should inspire people to want to change how the system is now.

Sure it's worked, and it's also scared off a lot of potential gamers to this game because of how it's worked in the past. The fact that these certain types of characters are so difficult to make shows how not versatile the game actually is in its current form/paradigm.

Why make people go through so much hassle to make a character they might want to make when creating a new Power aimed specifically at that would make the game so much easier for them to make the character's with? Why do we have such specific powers like Tunneling and Swinging when those could be consolidated into a power called Unique Movement, yet there is a single power that has encapsulated nearly all Environmental changing powers into a single power when logically it would actually make sense for each of them to probably be different powers? Why do we have 8 to 10 different powers for special unique defensive power assumptions yet there is a single power for Enhanced Senses that would also probably fit better to be separate powers probably broken up by sense types to make it easier to see the different point costs plus how it combines Active/Detecting Senses as well as Passive Senses? Then there is Darkness and Flash, which have some differences yet thematically they both do basically the same thing, which is shut down a target's "sense" but one seems to be more of an area effect type power and another is targeted against a specific target yet if someone were to build a Flash power with the Area of Effect modifier than it's pretty much the Darkness power itself only it seems like one uses an attack roll and the other doesn't... yet there's a power modifier that can take care of that also and yet thematically both Darkness and Flash are similar to Change Environment, which in and of itself is a fairly confusing power to understand.

This is probably where much of the initial complexity is for new players... there are a lot of powers that seem to be a combination of a lot of similarly thematic elements like Enhanced Senses which could easily be split up into their own individual powers yet then this game has individual powers that could easily be combined into a single power that encompasses them into a more united and easier to understand whole.

So why are people resistant to seeing a power that could make it easier to build certain types of characters that could make the game easier for new people?

some characters are just going to cost a lot of points

your mimic power if it follows  presidence of other adjustment powers is going to have a fade rate and wiil only copy one power at a time unless you use advantages to increase that
a Mimic VPP just copies the power if it fits or at a reduced level

In general a 400 pt character should look like a year 1 or maybe a year 3 character

some characters are just going to be very costly builds

you might want to look at some of the builds that have been posted here or in the downloads area
Having Hero Designer helps
Check out some of the builds at these sites here are some of Herodom's finest

http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/

http://www.killershrike.com/CharacterMaster/CharacterGenreList.aspx

As for 10 defensive powers

you really have just  3 w/ flavors of what they affect

PD/ED/Power Def/Mental Def/Flash Def

Reduction

Negation

Flash/Darkness

Flash hits a target and after def stays till it wears off others may move in right after

Darkness is generally fixed unless you hit the target specificlly

Darkness also is made to block line of sight over time Flash does not

CE can only cause negatives to a roll

To make it easier because right now I don't understand the current 'tools' to make such a power and anything that makes it easier for people new to this game makes the game better as a whole. The less complex the better in all honesty.

People always state that Hero System can make anything, that anything is possible and that it has the most robust customization of about any toolkit game and yet it's nearly impossible to make certain kinds of character's due to how the game is: A- Perceived to be really complex,  and B- The fact that making character's like Superman and Rogue is nearly impossible unless a person has an allotment of points way above everybody else and these two factors alone should inspire people to want to change how the system is now.

Sure it's worked, and it's also scared off a lot of potential gamers to this game because of how it's worked in the past. The fact that these certain types of characters are so difficult to make shows how not versatile the game actually is in its current form/paradigm.

Why make people go through so much hassle to make a character they might want to make when creating a new Power aimed specifically at that would make the game so much easier for them to make the character's with? Why do we have such specific powers like Tunneling and Swinging when those could be consolidated into a power called Unique Movement, yet there is a single power that has encapsulated nearly all Environmental changing powers into a single power when logically it would actually make sense for each of them to probably be different powers? Why do we have 8 to 10 different powers for special unique defensive power assumptions yet there is a single power for Enhanced Senses that would also probably fit better to be separate powers probably broken up by sense types to make it easier to see the different point costs plus how it combines Active/Detecting Senses as well as Passive Senses? Then there is Darkness and Flash, which have some differences yet thematically they both do basically the same thing, which is shut down a target's "sense" but one seems to be more of an area effect type power and another is targeted against a specific target yet if someone were to build a Flash power with the Area of Effect modifier than it's pretty much the Darkness power itself only it seems like one uses an attack roll and the other doesn't... yet there's a power modifier that can take care of that also and yet thematically both Darkness and Flash are similar to Change Environment, which in and of itself is a fairly confusing power to understand.

This is probably where much of the initial complexity is for new players... there are a lot of powers that seem to be a combination of a lot of similarly thematic elements like Enhanced Senses which could easily be split up into their own individual powers yet then this game has individual powers that could easily be combined into a single power that encompasses them into a more united and easier to understand whole.

So why are people resistant to seeing a power that could make it easier to build certain types of characters that could make the game easier for new people?

Why do people that can't swim insist on jumping into the deep end of the pool?

Simple characters are easy to build. Yes?

More complex characters, like an honest Superman or Rogue, require a lot of points because of how powerful and versatile they are. Neither one of those should be considered a beginning character. A character like Rogue will always be easier to use in written media than in a game. The character will always require GM mediation because of how her powers work.

The way the system works, and has worked, Rogue had a Radiation Accident when she absorbed Ms. Marvel. Radiation Accident: save up 50 XP and rewrite your character.

It is not difficult.  You can find a half dozen examples of such powers on this very website.  What it is is expensive.  That's not the same as difficult.

The less complex the better - I agree, to a point. But how do you measure "complex?" If you propose ADDING a Power to the already extensive list, isn't that making things MORE complex?

This is akin to saying that when I play D&D I should, as a 1st level fighter, be able to simulate Conan the Barbarian or Elric of Melnibone or Drizzled Drow'burden or (insert superpowerful character here.)

If you are running a game and think it takes a thousand points to make Superman and want your players to be able to make or match Superman - Give them at least a thousand points to build characters with.

If you don' have that many points, and think that's how many Superman needs, you can't build superman. I can't walk into the average D&D game and expect to play Hercules or King Arthur either, so I don't see how this makes Hero different from anything else.

Certain kinds of characters are difficult to make because they are fundamentally complex. In Superman's case for example even if you disregard a lot of "one off" Powers that only appeared once or a few times, you have a very extensive list of Powers. In Rogue's case, you have a character capable of manifesting literally EVERY Power imaginable.

Why make people go through so much hassle to make a character they might want to make when creating a new Power aimed specifically at that would make the game so much easier for them to make the character's with?

May I be blunt?

Because if there were a different special-case Power for every player that wants something specific for their character, we'd have a ten thousand page rulebook and growing. There's a reason we have just plain "Blast" as a base Power instead of listing every conceivable type of ranged attack separately. Besides, no list can be exhaustive and some attacks would be excluded that way; Hero is special in that it excludes NOTHING because whatever you want, you can build it from the materials and tools present.

Why do we have such specific powers like Tunneling and Swinging when those could be consolidated into a power called Unique Movement, yet there is a single power that has encapsulated nearly all Environmental changing powers into a single power when logically it would actually make sense for each of them to probably be different powers?

For one thing, because there are many possible examples of Change Environment, such as Weather Control, that might incorporate many different possible manifestations, and it is more convenient to have a single Power that covers them that works the Change Environment does - when you buy it, you also have to choose the exact possible effects you are selecting - rather than force everyone who wants, say, Weather Control, to buy a whole suite of "different" Powers.

Why do we have 8 to 10 different powers for special unique defensive power assumptions

Primarily because they all function in such radically different ways. And wait a minute - 8 or 10? Can you list them so I know what you're talking about?

yet there is a single power for Enhanced Senses that would also probably fit better to be separate powers probably broken up by sense types to make it easier to see the different point costs plus how it combines Active/Detecting Senses as well as Passive Senses?

Partly because there has to be a "generic" model of a Sense for those players who come up with something totally new the game designer may not have thought of.

Then there is Darkness and Flash, which have some differences yet thematically they both do basically the same thing, which is shut down a target's "sense" but one seems to be more of an area effect type power and another is targeted against a specific target yet if someone were to build a Flash power with the Area of Effect modifier than it's pretty much the Darkness power itself only it seems like one uses an attack roll and the other doesn't... yet there's a power modifier that can take care of that also and yet thematically both Darkness and Flash are similar to Change Environment, which in and of itself is a fairly confusing power to understand.

Case in point: there used to be Powers called Armor and Force Field. The difference was that one used END by default. Now they are combined into Resistant Protection, and if you want a force field, you add Costs End. If you want worn armor, you add Focus. If you want fireproofing, add "Only vs heat/flame" etc.

Simplifying the game by combining Powers is something Hero has already done and might do further.

See above - because no one wants a 10,000 page rulebook. I know you don't think that's what you're asking for, but it's the logical consequence of what you're asking for. You'll probably find a better reception when you talk about how to combine Powers and reduce the page count, than when you suggest new Powers (that can already be created with existing rules) and increasing page count.

But you might want to check out the Advanced Players books. They DO have some new Powers for special cases, like Possession (which basically is a form of combined Telepathy and Mind Control.)

Lucius Alexander

And I want a section on Palindromedary Powers

Characters like Super Adaptoid and Amazo basically have 1 power.

Characters like Rogue, Parasite basically have 2 powers. 

The 1st group is easy, it just requires a huge Multiform with appropriate limits (or VPP of Multiforms).

The 2nd group is more complicated because besides having the same abilities of group 1 (usually at a slightly lower power level) the stated special effect is 'power transference' which means some additional mechanic must be added to show the loss of powers from the original owning characters (most commonly built with some type of Drain but Transform could be used as well).  This is not a cheap effect either but the cost can be mittigated somewhat if there is an appropriate campaign use of the Unified Power Limitation which lessens the need for Drain specific Advantages to target multiple powers simultaneously.

Here is a basic template of how the Parasite (a 60's era DCU villain with essentially the same powerset as Rogue) could be done using 5er rules (this could be updated to 6e rules pretty easily): 

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/64115-the-classic-justice-league-starting-members-on-350-points/?p=1652306

Re: The Classic Justice League starting members on 350 points

I'm changing course here a little bit and working on one of Superman's signature villains and arguably one of the hardest to translate into HERO - The Parasite.

Parasitesuperman.PNG

Like all of the heroes, I want to build him on 350 points as well. I think this is possible because Superman and all of the other 'naturally powered' heroes (of this thread) abilities have been built using the 'Affected by Adjustments as an EC' Limitation. By building all the heroes with this I avoid having to build Parasite's Drain with the 'All Powers Simultaneously (+2)' level of Variable Effect.

With this in mind I would appreciate any feedback regarding the following power set for Parasite:

36 Do You Feel Yourself Getting Weaker?: Drain Any Biological SFX Ability 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), any [biological] power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Hour; +1) (82 Active Points); Limited Special Effect Only vs. Biological Abilities (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Limited Power Skin Contact Required (-1/4) 3

36 Hurts Doesn't It?: Energy Blast 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defense; +1 1/2) (90 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Linked (Do You Feel Yourself Getting Weaker?; -1/4), Limited Power Skin Contact Required (-1/4)

128 Now I Have Your Powers!: Variable Power Pool, 100 base + 28 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1) (200 Active Points); Character Has No Choice Regarding How Powers Change (Also Gains Biological Disadvantages ; -1/2), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (Linked To Drain; -1/2), Conditional Power Powers Fade At Same Rate As Drain Recovers (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available Limited (-1/2), Limited Power Abilities Gained Proportional ToThose Drained (-1/2)
0 1) Multiform (500 Character Points in the most expensive form) (100 Active Points) Real Cost: 100