Arrow ~

Greywind

I got the feeling they were trying to make Thea into the hot mess junkie just so they could have Oliver confront a "Speedy" over drug addiction. But then they introduced Roy, put him in the red leathers, and used the rage drug as another nod to that classic storyline. I would say that once Thea willingly went with dear old daddy for some secret ninja assassin training, she went from being the show's hot mess brat to being the show's morally conflicted brat to being crazed bloodlust killer brat. The writers may have been grasping for what to do with Thea also, but at least it was always interesting.

Yeah, with Thea it's often felt like the writers were rubbing their hand eagerly going: "This is great - what can we do to mess with her THIS time?"

With Laurel,  it's often felt like the writers were rubbing their hand anxiously going: "This isn't working - what can we do to try and make her interesting THIS time?"

• 3 weeks later...

Overall good episode, despite the cheese. I am a little vexed that there was no real follow-up to the near nuclear armageddon. Essentially all the nuclear weapons on Earth have been destroyed. That should have elicited some sort of background newscast about the changing political scene or something. Or was that just an insurance write-off that will give everybody the excuse to upgrade their nuclear arsenal in time for next season?

Overall good episode, despite the cheese. I am a little vexed that there was no real follow-up to the near nuclear armageddon. Essentially all the nuclear weapons on Earth have been destroyed. That should have elicited some sort of background newscast about the changing political scene or something. Or was that just an insurance write-off that will give everybody the excuse to upgrade their nuclear arsenal in time for next season?

Of course, by moving the explosions into orbit, all of the satellites and space stations up there have been destroyed as well.

Actually, nothing was ever said about any detonations. They just inverted the missiles orientation to the ground. So perhaps their is a field of live ICBMs just floating off into deep space?

Ah, so maybe we'll get an invasion of really pissed off aliens next season (you know, worm holes and all).

I just rewatched that part of the episode. I totally missed that they said they were letting the missiles explode in space. How is 15,000 or so nukes exploding over the planet not a nuclear Armageddon. Even if you're generous with the radiation surrounding the planet, the EMP from the detonations would be devastating.

There wasn't a single element of the nuclear missile plotline that made a lick of sense or had a shred of believability/plausibility. I like Felicity Smoak as a character (most of the time), but the things they have her accomplish by "hacking" is so beyond absurd it belongs in a surrealist fantasy not a gritty, crime-fighting thriller.

Post-Finale Thoughts (as I say good-bye to the show):

Thea had sorta grown on me, but I'm glad to see her putting aside the Speedy mantle; she just wasn't believable as a crime-fighter. Waifs like Willa and Katie just can't pull off the costumed vigilante thing. Caty Lotz was able to pull it off with sheer attitude, and I miss her on Arrow.

I was glad to see Quentin driving off with Momma Smoak to hopefully find some measure of happiness.

Oliver may be sad to see Diggle go, but I'm not. I've never been a big Diggle fan. The whole storyline with brother Andy was just so awful. And with guns being Diggle's preferred weapon of choice, I'm not sure how that was supposed to mesh with Ollie's new "don't kill" policy.

I like Curtis, but he's basically just another Ray Palmer, without ambitions of building a suit of powered armor. I guess Arrow needs its Cisco too.

I've dumped Arrow from my DVR. I wish all the fans of the show well, and I hope for your sake the quality of writing improves to something at least a touch above the level of undergraduate creative writing class.