Arrow ~

Greywind

I see where you are coming from, but I also find it kinda of sweet how they will use pretty much any excuse to use an actor from an earlier season on the show.  A flashback, a hallucination, an extra-dimensional doppelganger, whatever; they continue to give there favorite actors work.  Really, I suspect that half of the reason for LoT is to give actors whose characters had been written out of the story paychecks.

I see where you are coming from, but I also find it kinda of sweet how they will use pretty much any excuse to use an actor from an earlier season on the show.  A flashback, a hallucination, an extra-dimensional doppelganger, whatever; they continue to give there favorite actors work.  Really, I suspect that half of the reason for LoT is to give actors whose characters had been written out of the story paychecks.

Also, the more people you employ in Vancouver, the fluffier kittens become, and the more Jesus loves you. True facts.

I still enjoy the show, but what is the point of training all these people if in the end you have to go get the former villains to help you defeat other villains.

Honestly I think they wanted to go for one of those "In this issue, EVERYBODY DIES!" sort of thing. So they pulled the old favorites in from the wings, brought everybody together on a big asplodie island, and had the Big Bad takes his own life (in a manner symbolic of Oliver's father's own suicide) to destroy everything Oliver cares about ('cept his son). The problem was that, aside from John Barrowman's tweet that he is out, I have about zero angst that any of the cast or guest stars are done for good. Maybe one of the al'Ghul kids gets axed. Probably the temporary team member turncoat girl, though she would make for an interesting long-term villain. One who blames Team Arrow for Whatshisnuts death. Slade may disappear from the show again, but I seriously doubt that it is curtain call for the character.

There's too much dramatic potential for the hockey mask dude and his child custody issues to let go. He's staying. Same with Thea and the angst over her newly found, but far too late, feelings for ol' Malcolm. The token gay character can stay or go. Coin toss on that one. I thought he was great as comic relief guy, especially as the teen drama heated up between Oliver and Felicity. I also liked the fact that, though he is an able crime fighter, he is just not in the league of the big boys and girls. The new Black Canary. She is awesome. Shame if they got rid of her. So they won't.

Hmmmn. Maybe Felicity. I mean, if you can get rid of Laurel, Felicity isn't too much of a stretch.

Just had a fan theory idea. Talia and Turncoat kidnap Felicity to brainwash her and train her to be part of some evil version of Birds of Prey. They're the main villains for next season. Of course at the end, Talia gets away, Turncoat gets impaled on some jagged pipe or similar unpleasant fate, and Felicity gets to be redeemed so that she emote all sorts of angst in the next season after that. I'd suggest Thea for that as well, but I say she stays and goes full on "embrace the dark side" in her vigilantism. The whole angsty daddy issues thing.

It all allows for Oliver to stay all Broody McBroodyface and stretches the bounds of suspension of disbelief further than the shark-jumping breaking point.

Oh wait, fast forward five years into the future so that the flashbacks can start all over again. I forgot about that key part of the show. What are they going to do now to contrast and compare Oliver's current situation with some gratuitous flashbackery?

Yeah, Arrow was once the most interesting show on TV for me. Not so much anymore. I have little hopes for next season, which is why I mentioned in the Flash thread that it has "earned" a five episode trial. First time since it has started. They better have some good stuff coming.

Finally watched the last two eps. In many ways it felt like the perfect series finale to me, and that's how I plan to treat it. As nice as it was to see Malcolm, Slade, & Nyssa again, there was just so much Stupid Volleyball (even by Arrow standards) that my main reaction to the finale was relief that it was all over. So yeah, 5 seasons was a good run, thanks Arrow, maybe I'll catch the inevitable crossover next year, but I think I'm done here.

Just had a fan theory idea. Talia and Turncoat kidnap Felicity to brainwash her and train her to be part of some evil version of Birds of Prey. They're the main villains for next season. Of course at the end, Talia gets away, Turncoat gets impaled on some jagged pipe or similar unpleasant fate, and Felicity gets to be redeemed so that she emote all sorts of angst in the next season after that. I'd suggest Thea for that as well, but I say she stays and goes full on "embrace the dark side" in her vigilantism. The whole angsty daddy issues thing.

See, that I'd watch!

My own fan theory is John Constantine had a vision of what was going to happen so right as the island is about to blow he pops out of a mystic portal and pulls everyone out. But things didn't go quite as planned because when do they ever, and by opening so large a portal he attracted the attention of Tyrannon the Conqueror* who captures all of them. So we get half an episode of Ollie going full-on McBroodyface before Constantine - who managed to escape because he's John Effing Constantine - shows up to tell Ollie his friends are all (mostly?) alive but trapped in Hell, and oh BTW now Tyrannon is aware of Earth and coming to eat our dimension and somehow a guy with a bow & arrow is the only one who can stop him.

But it's Berlanti & Co, so he'll probably talk Barry into going back in time again to get everyone off the island before it explodes.

* I can't think of who the DC equivalent would be?

A couple other thoughts: 

So what happened to Vigilante?

Yeah, I kinda lost track too, but apparently Marc Guggenheim said something about keeping that surprise for Season 6. Snoooore.

Oh wait, fast forward five years into the future so that the flashbacks can start all over again. I forgot about that key part of the show. What are they going to do now to contrast and compare Oliver's current situation with some gratuitous flashbackery?

Berlanti said awhile back that they'd be done with the flashbacks after Season 5.

• 1 month later...

Same here. I realized about 2/3 of the way through last season I was watching solely out of habit and was having trouble even remembering the previous week's episode. I think the show has run it's course, at least for me.

I think that they started down a path, some seasons back, that changed the tone of the show. It really worked as a gritty, street level "Dark Champions" story. Not so much when the Arrowverse expanded to include super-powered metas and Arrow tried to keep up. If Oliver had somehow lightened up during that time and became more swashbuckler and less grimdark, it might have worked. As it was, there was too much brooding from one side, while the rest of the show wasn't. In this case, the contrast did not make the show better. And as much as Damien Darkh injected a sense of humor into the show, that season in particular was tonally abrasive. The addition of magic to the mix was forced and clumsy as well.

Another thing is the inclusion, every season, of some massive threat to Star City and perhaps the world. It worked for the first season, but it has become too often used. There is also, every season, a Rocky-esque comeback. Arrow meets a bad guy that outclasses him. Arrow gets beat. Arrow broods. Arrow makes miraculous comeback and "digs deep" into his reservoir of Heroic Action Points and comes out the winner. All-in-all, it makes more mundane threats less threatening and forces the writers to "go big or go home."  Arrow should not have ever been like that, IMO. It should have always been where saving the mayor from an assassination plot should have been a minor arc in the show or rooting out some vast, criminal conspiracy. The Master Villain of the Season is somehow worse than Monster of the Week.

It can make a comeback, but it has to do so by changing its formula and deliberately snubbing things that would make a Superman series good. 

• 2 months later...

Okay watched the season premiere. Wow. Exactly nothing has changed despite the big cliffhanger last season. Oh sure, a few minor characters are gone. Speedy is in a coma. Oh and Diggle can't shoot. Everything else is exactly as it was last season. Should I spoiler that? Because this is all (mostly) revealed in the first quarter of the show.

I said I'd give it five show this season but I don't really know if I can stomach it.

I never finished the last few episodes of last season. Like BDH, I hit a point, where I just didn't care about the show anymore. For me, it was after the computer that I'd been using to record OTA ate an episode, and I really didn't notice. That box started making a grinding noise a couple of weeks ago, and has been turned off. I'm not actually rushing to repair it, so that means that anything not on Hulu will need to be picked up when it hits Netflix at the end of the season. That's mostly CW shows, after they decided at the beginning of last season to stop using Hulu for their shows. At this point, I figure that will be Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow (maybe Flash).

I saw the first episode of Legends, and it looks like it's shaping up to continue in the same more lighthearted vein as last season. Not sure what the overarching plot is going to be, though.

Mallav or how ever you spell it.

And like you I watched and enjoyed it. Time to revive the Legends thread.