Arrow ~

Greywind

Finally caught up on the finale. Yeah, the whole nuclear missile plot was head-bangingly stupid, but I thought the rest of the episode worked okay. Neal McDonough was fun to watch right up to the end, sorry to see him go. As for everyone else leaving...well they basically inverted the end of S3, except this time Oliver and Felicity stay while everyone else leaves. I very much doubt they're writing Diggle, Thea, Lance, etc off the show, so this all feels like an excuse for another Putting The Band Back Together moment at the start of next season. Which is fine, but not exactly breaking new ground. Overall not a bad season, and I admit I'm kindof curious to see what they do with Oliver As Mayor next season. (I want to send them my entire Ex Machina collection for ideas...)

And I guess Laurel really is staying dead after all. Huh. So then what was all the death bed fake-out nonsense for? She's dying, she recovers, get me something mysterious from my belt, whoops she's dead now? If you're actually going to have a superhero death and make it stick, the absolute WORST thing you can do is telegraph that it's all some kind of fake; really robs the death of any emotional impact. (At least for me.)

A signal from Central City stops armageddon...nobody would track that down.  :(

I'm pretty sure ARGUS already knows... :)

• 2 months later...

It's funny, my best friend and I were talking about how Dolph Lundgren is a solid B movie actor. We enjoy watching his roles, but we know that he is never going to be more than he is. I wonder what he can bring to the Arrow.

He may only be B-lister, but the man has never been out of work unless he hasn't wanted to work.

• 1 month later...

Season opener was pretty strong IMO. Mayor Ollie looks to be entertaining, the Russia flashbacks have potential to be more fun than Another Year On The Same Damn Island. (I like the open acknowledgement that the only thing really keeping Ollie from going home is that he doesn't feel ready yet.) Apparently we're going to start seeing some new vigilantes on the team, including presumably Mister Terrific and won't it be fun to see how they work their way up to that?

And oh hey,

killing people is back on the menu. Glad Thea called him on it straight up, so we know this is a plot point and not just sloppy writing. I admit I'm curious to see where they go with that.

Overall I'd say I'm actually looking forward to Season 5, and I didn't expect to be able to say that.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much skipped Arrow for the last couple of years, and the loss of Katie Cassidy is making me think I should give up on this season as well.  

With a team made up of Wild Dog, Artemis, Mr. Terrific, and eventually Vigilante it seems like someone bought a box of 25 year old comics and decided they were obscure enough to use without anyone caring.

It's not about the relative obscurity for me, it's about the fact that I am supposed to care about a couple of people that might have had a cameo episode and Curtis. There was no effort to build upon these characters and make them people I care about. As far as I am concerned, any of the new team can die at any time and my only heartbreak would be the time the main sequence characters spend mourning them instead of kicking bad guy butt. This is the first time Arrow has let me down as a viewer. I would rather the creative team let Oliver stew in solitude while developing something of a credible attachment to these characters, not rush into revealing his identity to perfect strangers with nothing more than a hamfisted trust exercise. I'll probably try to watch a couple more episodes, but it better jump up on quality quick or risk jumping the shark.

Well, the latest episode seems to wrap up the first half of the season. I'm not feeling whelmed. 

They still haven't managed to do much character development with the new team outside of a little with Rag Man. Given the nature of the villain in the first half of the season being basically a low level thug, I'd assumed that this part was the training sequence for the new guys, but I don't think they've really moved forward. Now I'm thinking the new team is going to end up being mostly cannon fodder for Prometheus, and that Curtis may end up being the only permanent addition.

A couple of random thoughts:

Rag Man was pretty interesting when he was keeping to the shadows. The short guy walking around in rags with the rest of the Scooby Gang . . . not so much. The limited effects budget doesn't help sell the character, either. I'm glad to see more characters with weird powers on TV, but I don't really care for the execution here.

I wonder what Prometheus's back story is going to be? I'm guessing they're going to have him be another League of Assassins member. The costume seems to point to LoA theatrics and style, and I've read that they've cast Talia Al'Ghul, so my guess is that she's leading a rival LoA faction and Prometheus is one of her men.

Diggle finally got his new helmet. I'd say it's a bit of an improvement. It looks more like a modified riot or military helmet than a Magneto helmet, so a step up. I'm surprised Cisco didn't build a heads up display into it.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that (Invasion) was a damn good episode. "The Life That Might Have Been" stories are a classic staple, and they can get a bit trite when handled poorly. But I have nothing to complain about. A nice choice for a 100th episode too! (OK, the random cybernetic villain of the week was kindof lame and unnecessary - but it was worth it for Barry & Kara's high five as they Teamwork her.)

It's a good thing that cyborg chick had Brick-level defenses given the high-velocity Move-By Barry hit her with (the velocity actually being the sum of his movement and the cyborg chick's movement after being thrown by Supergirl). Otherwise we'd have a murdered villain on our hands, which is not something we expect from Barry or Kara.

Now I haven't been following Arrow this season, so I'm a little lost on the new characters. I know Mr. Terrific, but the other two I don't know. Who is the dope with the hockey mask and the guns? And who was the Fallout guy who did nothing but stand around with the others and sort of mumble occasionally?

It's a good thing that cyborg chick had Brick-level defenses given the high-velocity Move-By Barry hit her with (the velocity actually being the sum of his movement and the cyborg chick's movement after being thrown by Supergirl). Otherwise we'd have a murdered villain on our hands, which is not something we expect from Barry or Kara.

Now I haven't been following Arrow this season, so I'm a little lost on the new characters. I know Mr. Terrific, but the other two I don't know. Who is the dope with the hockey mask and the guns? And who was the Fallout guy who did nothing but stand around with the others and sort of mumble occasionally?

The hockey mask guy is Wild Dog, he's a very obscure DC Comics hero from the 90s if I'm not mistaken.  If the Fallour guy is a dude in rags with powers, I'm guessing he's Ragman.