Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope the general public feels the same way. I really need my Netflix stock to keep going up.

I am pretty impressed with Jessica Jones. It is very suspenseful and does a masterful job of keeping you on edge all the time. It is also somewhat challenging to watch, as it doesn't pull any punches when it comes to showing you the enduring effects of psychological trauma.

But I would like to see some more connecting with Daredevil. I'm only up to episode 6, but I keep wondering when it takes place. It takes place in Hell's Kitchen, but I have yet to see any sign that it is the same time period in which Wilson Fisk makes a very public play to be the neighborhood's white knight. Hell's Kitchen isn't that big...the events of Daredevil would most certainly spill over into any show involving characters like Jessica, Trish, and Luke.

And again, it's not like they have to spend a lot of time making those connections. Hell, they spent a whole episode following Jessica around as she worked a case that connected back to the events of the first Avengers film. They have characters repeatedly refer to "the big green guy and his crew," and so on. This Netflix series can certainly take a moment to acknowledge the other Netflix series that takes place in the same neighborhood.

Some crazy vigilante beating up cops?  Yeah, Jessica and Luke would both keep their heads down and avoid that mess altogether.  I was under the impression Fisk was jailed prior to the start of Jessica Jones, but I guess they haven't explicitly stated when the two series occur in relation to each other.

I hear ya. I'm hoping the Dr. Strange film will help break things up a bit, kind of like the way Guardians of the Galaxy did. Dr. Strange shouldn't feel so much like a classic superhero movie, IMO. Had Gaiman and del Toro been the writer/director pair on that film, I think we'd have been in store for something really special and different. But I am still hoping that it will have its own feel and its own voice, so to speak.

And it may be the Dr. Strange movie that paves the way for the "mystical" elements we'll see in the Iron Fist series.

With the exception of Ant Man, I think Marvel has consistently hit home runs.

But, I am feeling the onset of Marvel Movie Fatigue.

You're the first person I've seen say they didn't like Ant Man. Most of my circle thought it was better than Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 and many liked it better than the Avengers movies.

***********WARNING**********WARNING**********WARNING***********

There might be some spoilers for both Jessica Jones and Daredevil in this post so if you havent seen them, you might not want to read any further.

Okay.

So we watched Jessica J last week, but my wife hadnt seen Daredevil, so she marathoned it over the last couple of days and I managed to see something I didnt notice last time I watched it. I have a few things I noticed so I wanted to post about them.

In Daredevil:

1: the character of Nobu may be associated with a marvel comics character named Kagenobu. Who is this guy? He was the founder of The Hand. In fact, in the episode where DD and Nobu duked it out, Nobu was dressed in the typical garb of a Hand Assassin. This one is a no-brainer, but it bears mentioning.

2: in episode 11 (or 12?) When DD torches Madame Gao's heroine operation, madame gao meets with Wayland on their secret rooftop spot. During their conversation, she states she was going to go home. Wayland asked if she was returning to China and Gao states....."much much further than that."

Madame Gao is obvioussly connected with Iron Fist. Likely she hails from his dimension and recieved her martial training there.

Jessica Jones:

The drugs that the cop was taking I think will figure heavily into the next season. The dr who is behind it seems to be connected to Jessica in some way. I think his company experimented on her while she was in her coma. I have a suspicion that they may be the same people who experimented on Luke Cage while he was in prison.....

Anyone see any other cross character connections?

You're the first person I've seen say they didn't like Ant Man. Most of my circle thought it was better than Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 and many liked it better than the Avengers movies.

I thought it was corny and needed another script treatment to get to Ka-Pow!

And, I've never liked Ant-Man, anyways.

Stupid character.

I thought it was corny and needed another script treatment to get to Ka-Pow!

And, I've never liked Ant-Man, anyways.

Stupid character.

Yeah, I had zero interest in an Ant-Man movie. I'd much MUCH rather have seen a Black Widow movie. Or a Captain Marvel movie.

As for DD vs JJ, while I liked Daredevil well enough, I loved Jessica Jones. I have no particular desire to watch DD season one again--but I could easily watch 13 hours of Jessica Jones again.

I find it went over better with folks who prefer a more lighthearted tone in their action. AoU was actually pretty grim.

Here's Our First Good Look At Benedict Cumberbatch As Doctor Strange

http://therealstanlee.com/doctor-cumberbatch-on-set

hat tip, to Lady Pariah

From the stills I wasn't all that impressed. He kind of looks like Christian Bale. So much so that I actually thought it was him until I saw the final still where we got a look at his face directly. Seriously, if these were claimed to have been long lost production stills from Batman Begins I would have believed it. 

Soar. 

I got the same impression. Except the scenario (scruffy skinny guy in Tibet/Far East seeking wisdom) is actually Strange's origin. It's like Batman Begins time traveled to rip it off. =)

Sad part is, audience members who don't know Strange's comic-book history are probably going to call this a Bale-Batman rip-off. :(

I'm not sure Dr Strange really needs an extended origin sequence, he's a wizard.  They are wise and know spells.  Some short bits to show he was an arrogant SOB who learned his lesson, okay but I'm really burning out on 45-90 minute origin sequences.  Nobody felt compelled to explain where Dirty Harry came from.  We didn't have to see an origin story of James T Kirk until the new movies :/