Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I guess you might ask the people who actually enjoyed it, like myself and some other people on this thread.

Ask what?  I'm confused.

Everything is to taste.  I mean I know an avid Bollywood fan.   So there are people for everything, but I am attempting to push through a horrendous movie where it has been almost physical labor to push a full 24 minutes into a 156 minute show.  I mean a high order being that is thousands of years old invents a technological device to help farming and when literally everyone in the room indicates that it is far beyond current human understanding says "can you do that think" referring to mind control like a modern teenage genius that is technologically smarter than his emotional age.  

So far the characters have not established any kind of connection with the audience except maybe Hayek's character is stupid since the scene with the big red guy clearly telegraphs "you're being lied to" with trumpeting shout of obviousness.   What few scenes there are that try to establish the characters are just long enough to utterly waste time while being too short to actually establish anything the audience can latch on to. 

I'll admit I have never read the Eternals and it has been a long time since I've read a comic.  I the US comics industry shuttered it's doors back in the late 80's so it has been a while.  

That means I am going in to the movie with no knowledge of the story so everything is dependent on the movie itself.  This movie is worse than the theatrical release of the 1984 Dune movie.  They were actually handing out a three page cheat sheet with definitions of terms in the lobby.  If you had read the book you could understand what they were trying to do, but with anyone that had never read the book it was a bomb at the box office.  

I am sure that there are people that liked it, but currently at 24:21 it is about as interesting as a monotone documentary about different shades of white paint drying. 

But I spent $5.99 on it and I will get my money out of it. 

If I can stay awake :nonp:

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Supposedly its an alternate universe so the infinity stones are powerless in that dimension.  Which brings up the question: why even have them?  Aside from a throwaway visual gag?

2 hours ago, zslane said:

That visual gag is effective though. It lets the audience know rather emphatically that the TVA exists outside of the multiverse and is therefore not subject to its physical/cosmological laws.

The gag served another important purpose as well: it reminded the audience that they weren't watching the DCEU.

20 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The gag served another important purpose as well: it reminded the audience that they weren't watching the DCEU.

Very important gag. #VIG 

31 minutes ago, Spence said:

Ask what?  I'm confused.

Everything is to taste.  I mean I know an avid Bollywood fan.   So there are people for everything, but I am attempting to push through a horrendous movie where it has been almost physical labor to push a full 24 minutes into a 156 minute show.  I mean a high order being that is thousands of years old invents a technological device to help farming and when literally everyone in the room indicates that it is far beyond current human understanding says "can you do that think" referring to mind control like a modern teenage genius that is technologically smarter than his emotional age.  

So far the characters have not established any kind of connection with the audience except maybe Hayek's character is stupid since the scene with the big red guy clearly telegraphs "you're being lied to" with trumpeting shout of obviousness.   What few scenes there are that try to establish the characters are just long enough to utterly waste time while being too short to actually establish anything the audience can latch on to. 

I'll admit I have never read the Eternals and it has been a long time since I've read a comic.  I the US comics industry shuttered it's doors back in the late 80's so it has been a while.  

That means I am going in to the movie with no knowledge of the story so everything is dependent on the movie itself.  This movie is worse than the theatrical release of the 1984 Dune movie.  They were actually handing out a three page cheat sheet with definitions of terms in the lobby.  If you had read the book you could understand what they were trying to do, but with anyone that had never read the book it was a bomb at the box office.  

I am sure that there are people that liked it, but currently at 24:21 it is about as interesting as a monotone documentary about different shades of white paint drying. 

But I spent $5.99 on it and I will get my money out of it. 

If I can stay awake :nonp:

A friend gave up watching it around the 20-30 min mark, so you are not alone. 

21 minutes ago, Spence said:

Ask what?  I'm confused.

Assuming you're correct that they didn't use a test audience (don't want to take the time right now to research whether that's a fact), if you asked us why we might respond that a test audience wasn't necessary, since the film is good, albeit far from perfect (IMHO). Moreover, the way you phrased your question seemed to imply that you believe test-audience input would have made Eternals an objectively better movie. Test audiences have proven far from reliable at predicting what the wider audience reception to a film will be.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:44 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Assuming you're correct that they didn't use a test audience (don't want to take the time right now to research whether that's a fact), if you asked us why we might respond that a test audience wasn't necessary, since the film is good, albeit far from perfect (IMHO). Moreover, the way you phrased your question seemed to imply that you believe test-audience input would have made Eternals an objectively better movie. Test audiences have proven far from reliable at predicting what the wider audience reception to a film will be.

My bad, I was being snarky and didn't actually carry it off.  I guess it came over as either very stupid or asking a question.

I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt and treating it like a question :nonp:

19 hours ago, Pariah said:

Apropos to a conversation someplace else, I would love to see a Disney+ series with Colleen Wing and Misty Knight. If we can include a crossover with Kate Bishop in it, so much the better.

I'd love the idea of a Knight-Wing Investigations if Iron Fist weren't such a abomination that I try to block it's existence.

Isn't the Blue Area on the far side* of the Moon? It's been a while since I've read anything involving it.

--

* The far side of the Moon is the side you can't see from the earth. Not to be confused with The Dark Side of the Moon, which is a 1973 Pink Floyd album.