Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Loki is consistently wicked and deceptive, I'm not super fond of emo Loki the whiny boy who has the sadz Odin doesn't love him best.

In the old comics, maybe. Personally I'm much more fond of Mythological Loki, the Trickster, who's always causing trouble of one kind or another, but isn't necessarily evil per se. Most days, anyway. The idea of Loki as a shifting, unpredictable force of chaos is much more interesting to me than any 2D Villain-For-Villainy's-Sake.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mythological Loki, the Trickster, who's always causing trouble of one kind or another, but isn't necessarily evil per se. 

He was alternating between a sneaky rascal and horrifically treasonous and evil.  There's a reason Odin sentenced him to be hung under a serpent dripping venom into his eyeballs for eternity

Current Marvel Loki has come around a bit it appears, having even had a bit of a heroic phase after being dead for a bit, though since everyone in Asgard still remembered what he'd been like no one believed it.

I liked his appearance in Unstoppable Squirrel Girl. The situation was his fault, but turned out to be an old scheme he'd set up centuries ago and lost track of. He helps them fix it, though all through his scenes he's mocking Formerly-Thor Odinson (while being quite nice to New-Thor) and snarking nicely.

I agree with Hermit.

Maybe my expectations were just way, way low due to all the bad press, but what I saw easily exceeded those expectations. I felt the first hour was better than the second, but aside from the low-budget fx, I thought the show was quite engaging. Now granted, I have not read any of the Inhumans comics, so I don't have a basis for comparison upon which to base any criticism. But what I saw was a decent entry in the television side of the MCU. I do sort of feel it had more of a CW level of quality to it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as all the early reviews made it out to be.

Of course, I only saw the first two hours. Most of the critics got to see at least the first four, and so maybe it gets progressively worse as it goes, but I'm at least hoping it'll be about as good as the third season of Agents of SHIELD.

I thought it was pretty decent, definitely not the train wreck early reviews made it out to be.. Some of the window dressing and CGI seemed a little TV budgety, but . . . it's a TV budget, so whatever. It didn't detract from the show. The acting was good. The writing was mostly good. My gripe list is short. I won't even list them, since they didn't really detract from the show either.

I think the biggest mistake Marvel made was releasing it in the theater, setting expectations of Marvel movie quality levels for things like CGI and sets, etc. That really seemed to trigger some of the reviewers.

I thought that the first two episodes were okay.

Right now I find myself seeing Maximus, if not as a good guy, at least as a lesser evil compared to the rest of the royal family.  Kudos to the writers for putting enough depth into it make that possible.  Still, I suspect that it will be a be a problem latter when I am expected to root for the royal family, or Maximus has his kick the kitten moment and I feel let down by a show that was complicated becoming simplistic.

I think they did a moderate job of making it difficult to completely side either way. Maximus has a valid point of view, and his outward intentions appear honorable, but his methods are decidedly ruthless and Machiavellian, to say the least. That makes it difficult to really trust him, or even cheer him on. As viewers, we're also privy to his deep-seated insecurities regarding not having any powers and being "merely human," which makes all too apparent the petty, impetuous neuroses that fuels his personal crusade. That's not the sort of character you're expected to find particularly appealing; in fact, it is frequently the basis for villains. Besides, the rest of the royal family is so darn pretty...

I think they definitely did a good job of giving him a motive, especially considering some of the prejudice the royals casually show toward the lower, "human," caste. Gorgon's casual jabs at the beginning, and Crystal's remarks said in anger. If Maximus wasn't a sociopath/bat-guano crazy*, he'd be very sympathetic and probably on the right side of things. I think we're going to see a lot of "doing the wrong things for the right reasons" until Maximus's restraint gives and he does something atrocious. Or not. It'd be cool if they surprised us. Overall, I thought it was a pretty satisfying setup for the series.

*This could well be colored by knowledge of his comic incarnation, and he's actually just angry and very, very Machiavellian. Which would probably be more interesting, really.