Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think many people in this era, at least in the United States, have much difficulty accepting the premise that the American government is malevolent. That's become a cliche across the spectrum of real-world-based fiction. I think when it strains credulity is when the malevolent government is also shown to be competent.

Yeah, like I mentioned right up front, I think it is very well done. Well written, well directed, well acted, etc.

But it's a storyline that I feel is played out and doesn't resonate with me anymore, particularly the government-as-villain angle. But that's primarily a function of my age and the fact that I've seen this sort of thing done too many times now. Not too long ago it was used in a much less dark, and more broadly entertaining fashion in the first season of Heroes, and I guess an X-retread, while perhaps inevitable, just doesn't ring the freshness bell the way Fox (probably) thinks it does. Of course, to a population of millennials, everything looks shiny and new...

I can see why you might be tired of government-as-villain storylines--it was so successful in the X-titles that it was co-opted by the entire MCU as well as the DCU.  Not to mention reality.

It was probably one of the *first* to really feature the idea of evil government so in my mind it's always gotten a pass.

I don't mind evil government when it's done well and makes some sort of sense (especially evil from a 'certain point of view').  I mind it when it seems to be the first go to for many writers for any source of dramatic tension in movies or shows.

In the real world, the idea that the US government is evil has been largely replaced with the idea that the US government is an incompetent joke with a sitting president who has no business holding the office. Clueless idiocy is not the same as malevolent villainy, though the same misguided foreign and domestic policies can arise from either.

Yeah, yeah I can.  Please leave real world politics out of a discussion about comics and Marvel.  Please, prove that people can have a discussion about something without someone's political viewpoint in specific about the current administration (whoever it happens to be) being rammed into the conversation like a monomaniac.

The thing is, tv shows which attempt to come across as "realistic" inevitably find validation among its fans by comparison with the real world. The thesis usually is that a show like this is topical, relevant, and "more acceptable" to a general audience because it reflects the current political climate. Once that line of argument is trotted out, you can't shut down the comparisons, either in support of or in refutation of that line of debate, without eliminating that line of debate entirely. Hence, real world politics have become integral to the discussion about (this particular) tv show based on Marvel comics.

They can, but how often do they show that kind of restraint? I mean, the #1 argument against making a superhero show "like the comics" is that live-action adaptations have to be realistic (with inevitable comparisons to the real world trotted out) in order to find an accepting audience.

I think there's a lot that's happening in our current reality that could be mined for storylines in a low-level X-show like this.  I wouldn't mind if that happened.  That said, it does seem like people forget about all the non-government storylines that have occurred in the X-books, and I wouldn't want Gifted to turn into a pure government conspiracy show.

Ok, other then Raine and maybe Dani, did anyone recognize any of them? I suppose the guy with the broken arm might be Guthrie. And the girl we keep seeing maybe is Xian, only not asian. But other then that, I don't recognize any part of that as the New Mutants. Is this set in the X-Verse?

Apparently, it is supposed to be a horror film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Mutants_(film)

Edited by slikmar