Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Bottom line: the cosmic MCU is vastly & significantly different* is subtle ways to the MU

Sure, its the current Marvel crop of editors etc version of what they figure it always should have been like, not the way it played out in comics.  And we have to be honest: now that's the "official" version of the marvel universe.  For every 1 person who loves and follows the comic book continuity, there are 8000 who only know the movie version.  

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rjcurrie said:

As for the example of the city being repaired, obviously the city has gotten very very good at recovering from superhero fights. And maybe there's a story there.

Isn't that what the Damage Control company is all about? I think Marvel has this mostly covered, at least in the comics.

We can agonize over the food issue.  We could wonder how Iron Man's armor can actually work, and be broken with parts lying around, yet no one else has been able to figure out how to make the same thing, or at least a suit you can  use to fly to work.  We can question how a blood sample from Steve Rogers can't be analyzed to replicate the Super Soldier Serum, or how Vision's AI can't possibly survive without the Mind Gem when Ultron managed just fine, or why no one else can figure out Pym Particles, or how Starlord's walkman managed to go decades without wearing out (leaving aside where the replacement batteries come from) and why that one cassette has lasted so long.

Maybe there is a story in there worth telling.  Perhaps there is not.

I can work with "In the course of a fingersnap, Banner was able to scan the universe five years back, pre-Snap and post-Snap, to find that Natasha Romanoff was nowhere to be found, so he could probably ensure people did not appear in mid-air, in the depths of space (the earth moves) or in the ocean (the world turns), and fix up the food chain".  I already accepted a Super-Soldier, Asgardian deities, gamma irradiation causing strength and stamina rather than cancer, that seemingly-magical Iron Man armor and a host of other impossibilities to get this far.

Yeah they've tried to at least make a stab at making sense of how things are fixed so fast but... that's something that develops over a long time not "OK half of Manhattan was flattened but we fixed it last week" from the first Avengers movies.  Hugh is right; this is just comic book logic and you shrug at it and move on.  As long as its internally consistent and fits the universe as explained, I don't mind that kind of thing.  Its when they break their own rules and established setting that the problems start

You know, like how Thanos and Hulk can have a gigantic fist fight in a starship without causing the slightest harm to the craft as if its all CGI ... oh wait, yeah.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Actually, it was mentioned in Spider-Man: Homecoming as the reason why Toomes' company lost their contract for salvaging alien junk. So, it's a major part of the Vulture's background in the MCU.

Yeah, that was the one I meant.  Too many Spider-Man movies to remember....

So, unfortunately, Outlawed is a thing and even more unfortunately Power Pack is attached to that feces show of a storyline and apparently are now so dim that they don't recognize the freaking Wizard when they seem him because he's pretending to be a hero and wearing a different coloured costume that otherwise looks EXACTLY LIKE HIS REGULAR COSTUME.  If this had resulted in the Pack defeated Wizard in a single issue, as they have with far more powerful villains like Nimrod and Kurse, I'd have no problem with it but that doesn't seem to be what's happening.  If any of the Power Pack gets killed in this story I'm not giving Marvel a single cent of my money ever again.  :bmk:

I love them and always have.  Sadly Marvel who is looking for new TV stuff, is unwilling to use the perfect franchise for a kid's show.  At this point if I had the power I'd do them like the Billy Goat's Curse did the Cubs back in the day, a couple dozen years of abject failure ought to teach them the error of their ways.

15 minutes ago, dmjalund said:

as long as it is made as a Family Friendly Movie rather than a Kids Movie

It's likely the only way Marvel is gonna get my money at this rate.  I mean seriously, a villain managing to get a temporary advantage of a hero is one thing but the story having to strip every single iota of intelligence and competence from the characters to make it happen.  :sick:  To say nothing of the fact that both Alex and Julie are old enough to be mentors for Jack and Katie at this point, to say nothing of the fact that the Fantastic Four have already been acting as mentors to the characters for awhile now, to say nothing of the fact that CRADLE just handed them off to a character who randomly showed up who was blatantly the Wizard in a different coloured costume. :thumbdown:sick:  Yeah Marvel's gonna have to work to win me back and I don't think they care too.  More's the pity.

One of the things I always loved about Jackman is unlike almost every actor who played a roll prior to him and had to do it over and over (possibly worrying about typecasting), he never said he hated playing Wolverine and always acknowledged that is what got him noticed and propelled his career.

The stuff about Feige, to me, shows why the Marvel movies and MCU specifically, have been successful. Make entertaining movies for the non readers while keeping the characters recognizable to the for the fans (and throw in some hidden gems for them to go OOOOH to).

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

The stuff about Feige, to me, shows why the Marvel movies and MCU specifically, have been successful. Make entertaining movies for the non readers while keeping the characters recognizable to the for the fans (and throw in some hidden gems for them to go OOOOH to).

Kevin Feige, as a fan himself, also understands and respects why these characters have endured for so long, what it is about them that speaks to us. You can feel the love for them in every Marvel movie.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Kevin Feige, as a fan himself, also understands and respects why these characters have endured for so long, what it is about them that speaks to us. You can feel the love for them in every Marvel movie.

Pity he can't arrange for people with that sort of love for the characters to write in the comics.  Or at the very least work in Editorial.  A bit more love for the characters might prevent stuff like Outlawed.