Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

The Captain Marvel characterization in the MCU so far has been, to be charitable, bad. They decided to go with a female version of Maverick from Top Gun, which was lazy shorthand, inaccurate to the character known to comics fans, and failed to actually capture the essence of the Maverick character.

I think they have handled her poorly but the truth is, she's never been characterized very well or interestingly in her nearly 50 year history.  Her one interesting characteristic as Ms Marvel was not being aware she was a superhero.  She was her most interesting when she was depowered by Rogue and had to be basically a super spy.  I never did understand how she went from being a reporter (I think??) to an agent of Shield other than "we gotta give her something to do".

She's always been kind of a nobody, with not much personality.  Trying to turn her into Clint Eastwood lately hasn't made her interesting either.  She needs more personality than "grim faced toughie" and "shows no emotion."  Ms Marvel as Kamala Khan is interesting, likable, and distinct, largely due to the actress playing her.  I know nothing about this version of Photon/Monica Rambeau except for how she sabotaged an attempt to stop a berserk Scarlet Witch, then supported and praised said witch's torture and mind control of a whole town.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mostly familiar with her from some appearances in the X-books from the late 80s, early 90s, where she's shown to be a competent team player. Granted, the character has been around for a very long time, and like many characters has a garbage back story, but I'm sure there are several incarnations better than what they put on screen.

The problem, or at least a major part of the problem, is that she's actually fairly true to her comics persona.

Carol Danvers got her start as an antagonistic secondary love interest to the original Captain Marvel. She was Air Force Intelligence at the base Mar-Vell infiltrated before he broke from the Kree military. She's always been a hard-ass with a suppressed soft side. Her career was put on a treadmill after all the security problems that were caused by Mar-Vell's battles, and it took her awhile to recover. Near the end of the book she was exposed to a radiation accident that took years to manifest into the Ms. Marvel powerset. And during this time, she was an independent security consultant.

Then came the whole Rogue story and the transformation to Binary and finally the transition to the current Captain Marvel. The MCU version has her as a pilot and not an intelligence operative and that's caused a slight shift in her personality. She went from being Hawkman to Hal Jordan Green Lantern. But neither of those are warm nor fuzzy and lack feminine traits. 

So, you have a female Jack Bauer with a spotty comic history that's suddenly been christened the most powerful hero in the MCU. I'm not surprised that non-readers haven't embraced the character, but I did think she'd get more approval from readers. The backlash against the actress, that from what I've read comes from one out of context comment, isn't helping either.

I thought Carol's depiction as Ms. Marvel in the animated Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was one of the most rounded incarnations of the character, doing her justice without going overboard while still making her interesting and relatable.

That series got so much right about the Marvel Universe. I'm still bummed it got cancelled for an inferior replacement. :(

21 hours ago, csyphrett said:

marvels needs 87 mill to break even on budget.

CES  

Sorry to hear that, as I found the movie enjoyable, for the most part. I guess the surprise I had was that the main villain has Ronan's Universal Weapon, which I thought was destroyed in GOTG 1. You could say isn't his, but it has the purple energy and hole from where he inserted the Power Stone.

That series got so much right about the Marvel Universe. I'm still bummed it got cancelled for an inferior replacement.

AEMH was one of the best animated series ever, and it had amazingly fine depictions of nearly every character.  I'd never liked the Wasp before and she was great in that show.  Even Kang was less crappy than he usually is.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

I’m having a really hard time thinking of MCU roles that could have fit Keanu. 

I think Keanu would be a good match for the Aquarian. Peace, harmony, and the power to negate all destructive forces around himself. I know that doesn't resemble his most recent character, but it matches his natural personality.

Of the existing characters that have been put on film I cannot picture Keanu's limited but effective range in any of them.  Put him in the right role and he's great like John Wayne was.  But anything outside that range and he looks ridiculous.  I could easily see him as one of the cosmic entities, as Bazza noted, but they are either reduced to jokes or turned into abstractions like a space cloud Galactus in the movies.

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

I’m having a really hard time thinking of MCU roles that could have fit Keanu. 

I have one that isn't an MCU role but it is MCU adjacent in that it would be with MCU directors the Russo brothers.  Apparently, back in 2019 they acquired the movie rights to Grimjack.  Keanu was pretty much born to play John Gaunt. 

• 2 weeks later...