Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, I would argue that they changed focus, but did not alter any of the previous continuity. All the events of the past in the MCU are still canon at this point.

There's a 10-mile-high petrified torso in the middle of the Indian Ocean that has not been mentioned in any movie other than the one it emerged in. Also, very little acknowledgement of that 30k mile tall being that addressed the entire planet and said he be back to pass judgement on humanity in a mental voice everyone on the planet heard. They are clearly ignoring some events.

Edited by Grailknight

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

There's a 10-mile-high petrified torso in the middle of the Indian Ocean that has not been mentioned in any movie other than the one it emerged in. Also, very little acknowledgement of that 30k mile tall being that addressed the entire planet and said he be back to pass judgement on humanity in a mental voice everyone on the planet heard. They are clearly ignoring some events.

Ignoring, yes. But ignoring isn't changing. Tony Stark and Nat Romanov are still dead. Sam Wilson is still Captain America. Hulk is still intelligent. Asgard is still reduced to a village in Norway. The current Kree and Skrulls are the way the previous movies left them.

BTW was it stated that everyone on Earth heard Arishem's message?

Marvel Cinema has a real problem because they were approaching their movies with the same sloppy, poor approach that has rocketed them to 9% of the US comic book market... when combined with DC.  They were making movies by deciding on a character, then announcing the movie, then looking for someone to write and direct it based on a checklist of physical characteristics rather than experience, talent, and a love of the source material.

They found the same formula that DC did with Superman, then just like DC abandoned it because they figured it was their brilliant leadership that resulted in the earnings.  And everyone in the studio and Disney wanted a finger in the pie so they would get some of the credit for a billion dollar win and a cut of the profits.

The result has been a disaster.  They COULD have made new characters like She Hulk and Ms Marvel work, with better writing, directing, and planning, but were so sloppy and stupid at it the turned the most profitable franchise in movie history into a disaster.  And for what?  Not a love of comics or the medium, that's for sure.

There's been peaks and valleys in every "phase" of the MCU. I don't think they handled Thanos well at all for example. On the other hand, I enjoyed Wandavision quite a bit. I just kind of go with the flow when it comes to these movies. I will say the MCU...on average....is still far better than what DC is putting out.

I agree, Marvel has a lot of great content out, while DC has half a good movie in Wonder Woman and a handfull of great Batman content.  While Marvel's latest stuff is no better than DC, they have more quality in their catalog.  Aquaman 2 doesn't look particularly promising, but I thought the first one was pretty idiotic and boring and it pulled in over a billion box office so :/

I enjoyed Aquaman. It was fun, slick-looking spectacle, and Jason Momoa is a compelling screen presence.

And yes, until recently Marvel Studios' body of work was deep overall. Its best films are among the best ever produced for the superhero genre. Which, ironically, is why this latest phase feels so disappointing. We got used to a high median level of quality and innovation from Marvel, while DC so often misfired that anything decent they did felt like a step up.

Marvel squandered the fan trust and loyalty they spent a decade building up, and now they almost have to start the process over again.

In MCU continuity, I don't think that's likely. That timeline's Peggy had clearly not seen Steve until after he was thawed out. The producers may have wanted to leave Peggy's husband's identity secret, especially given the Agent Carter series. But at that point I don't think they had decided how they wanted Steve's story to end.

21 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

He was active as two people at the same time, carefully never interacting, apparently.  And none of that explains how the super soldier serum didn't keep him unaging, or at least very slow aging.  Or make that movie any better.

There was not anything to explain.  The idea that the super soldier formula slowed aging was never introduced into the MCU.

He was around 22-23 when he got the powers, there was no explanation how long he was in the war, but he was frozen before it was ended.  So that's 2 years, maybe?  Then he was unfrozen in roughly 2010 and lived until around 2020, so another 10 years or so.  That puts him at mid 30s, when he went back in time and broke all temporal mechanics and rules and coexisted with himself for  75 years, putting him around 110.

The explanation for why he aged is "we don't want Captain America around any more"

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Wasn't he almost 200 years old when he came back and gave Sam the shield?

He was alive from 1917 to about 2020 then went back and lived from about 1945 to 2020 when he gifted the shield.

1917-1945  28 yrs

1945-2011  0 yrs

2011-2020  9 yrs

1945-2020  75 yrs

Total  112 yrs

Looks like the serum helped with the aging some.  Although to be fair, it's not really clear exactly what year Cap went back to Peggy.  Could have been anywhere from 1945-1970.  If it's 1945 he gains 9 years (and a relationship with Sharon) on Peggy.

6 hours ago, Bazza said:

However old he is, or for whatever personal reason if Evans, Marvel pulled off a superhero legacy in a live action film. That is fairly bold, when we have multiple actors continuing the same role, in the same series or different series. 

Something DC has tried to do for YEARs, even introducing the legacy hero as a sidekick, then deciding over and over to return to the original. Then reboot, but because "reasons" not only keep the original BUT any and all legacies - the various Robins, Kid Flashes, etc.)