Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Rolling Stones' 25 Best Movie Performances of 2016

From killer comedic turns to Oscar-worthy emoting – these were the actors who gave us the greatest movie moments of the year

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/lists/25-best-movie-performances-of-2016-w452454/tom-holland-captain-america-civil-war-w454102

Tom Holland, 'Captain America: Civil War'

Real talk: We almost assuredly do not need another new big-screen version of your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, even if it does mean that Sony and Marvel Pictures worked out a deal so the iconic superhero can show up in Avengers movies and now he's part of the MCU, yadda yadda yadda. But if we have to have a fresh-faced young actor strap on the webshooters, we could not have asked for a better person to take over than Tom Holland. Yes, lots of folks can pitch punny banter at villains and swing from skyscraper to skyscraper, but only a precious few might have figured out a way to get at the man behind the mask so beautifully. Watch Holland's back-and-forth with Robert Downey Jr. when the latter asks him why he dons the costume; all of Peter Parker's confusion, frustration, teen angst, guilt and nobility are right there in his response. In a single scene, he absolutely nails the Parker we know from the comic books, concisely and convincingly, for what feels like the very first time. Suddenly, the idea of a new webslinger doesn't seem quite so bad.

Rewatching that scene again, I tend to agree, that is Peter Parker talking. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something off topic, sort of, but for me fun... 

Heavenly Bodies: Marvel’s Most Powerful Cosmic Beings
http://www.cbr.com/heavenly-bodies-marvels-most-powerful-cosmic-beings/

15. Galactus
14. Cyttorak
13. The Stranger
12. Dormammu
11. Phoenix Force
10. Adversary
9. Amatsu-Mikaboshi (Chaos King)
8. Mistress Death
7. Oblivion
6. Eternity & Infinity
5. Proemial Gods
4. The Celestials
3. The Beyonder
2. The Living Tribunal
1. The One Above All

Top movies of 2017

http://www.looper.com/7428/top-20-movies-2017/

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Initially, it seemed like a hilariously dumb idea for Marvel to turn a relatively obscure comic about a ragtag team of intergalactic do-gooders—whose ranks include a raccoon-like creature and an alien resembling a sentient tree—into a $200 million movie. Nearly $775 million in box office receipts later, Guardians of the Galaxy could be the start of an Avengers-style franchise for the studio, and Chris Pratt, whose biggest credit prior to taking on the role of Peter "Star-Lord" Quill came as doughy doofus Andy Dwyer in NBC's Parks & Recreation, is a full-on action hero. The gang's all back for Vol. 2, along with writer-director James Gunn, and while we don't have many details regarding what they'll be up to this time around, we're confident it'll be tons of fun.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Sony's hopes for a Spider-Man film universe were dealt an embarrassing setback after director Marc Webb's reboots underperformed. But even if we aren't getting a Sinister Six or Venom movie anytime soon, the core franchise remains a top priority at the studio—as evidenced by this new reboot, which will find Tom Holland starring as the web-slinger in a standalone film while doing double duty as a supporting player in a number of Marvel movies (starting with Captain America: Civil War). Jon Watts, who helmed the creepy low-budget Kevin Bacon thriller Cop Car, is on board as director for a storyline that features Robert Downey, Jr.'s Tony Stark playing mentor to young Spidey in his battle against the Vulture (Michael Keaton).

Thor: Ragnarok
In Norse mythology, Ragnarök is an apocalyptic series of events that results in the world being plunged into water after the deaths of several gods—including Odin, Thor, and Loki—and culminates in a planetary rebirth. Needless to say, it's obvious from the title that Thor: Ragnarok won't be a jolly good time for our hammer-wielding hero (Chris Hemsworth), although we can guess from his imminent participation in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War movies that he'll emerge relatively unscathed after the final act. Whatever happens here, he'll be joined by Mark Ruffalo, reprising his Marvel Universe role as Bruce Banner/the Hulk, and working under the direction of New Zealand filmmaker Taika Waititi, who earned raves for his 2014 vampire mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows.

Something off topic, sort of, but for me fun...

Heavenly Bodies: Marvel’s Most Powerful Cosmic Beings

http://www.cbr.com/heavenly-bodies-marvels-most-powerful-cosmic-beings/

15. Galactus

14. Cyttorak

13. The Stranger

12. Dormammu

11. Phoenix Force

10. Adversary

9. Amatsu-Mikaboshi (Chaos King)

8. Mistress Death

7. Oblivion

6. Eternity & Infinity

5. Proemial Gods

4. The Celestials

3. The Beyonder

2. The Living Tribunal

1. The One Above All

Where is Franklin "Galactus, to me my Herald" Richards?

Is Franklin Richards a heavenly/cosmic being? Nope, ergo he is ineligible. Is he indeed powerful? Sure. Then then so is Protege who can/has absorbed the powers of The Living Tribunal.

Protégé is definitely a cosmic being, lists him as such in the Marvel wiki. Good add.

Frankin depends on how you define cosmic. His powers work on a cosmic scale. He's not an alien though, or abstract entity. I'd include him but accept the rationale to exclude based on terrestrial origin.

Understood.

I'm only saying that when I hear the term "cosmic being," I don't think "has cosmic-level powers," but rather "lives out among the stars" (and has cosmic-level powers). I feel that "being cosmic" ought to mean more than just the ability to re-arrange matter (or reality).

Like I said, depends on how you define cosmic. I tend to define them as characters whose powers work on a cosmic scale, but I'm comfortable either way. Nova (Herald of Galactus) isn't a cosmic character if you factor her origin in. Or Richard Ryder (other Nova).

Edit: obviously they are both way down the power scale from the above characters.

• 3 weeks later...

It was rewarding to see them take magic seriously as a real thing in the Marvel Universe, despite basically saying it doesn't exist in the previous movies.  They're mostly very odd martial arts and some dimensional shifting, but at least they are willing to propose there's more to the universe than Tony Stark is willing to admit to.

Eh, that already happened, and

given the circumstances suggested I don't see how Thor would stand a chance. Obviously, Thor will free Hulk rather than fight him and they'll team up for Ragnarok.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here? All I can think of is Thor's "In my world, magic and science are the same thing" speech?

In my view, Thor was merely restating Clarke's Law as it pertains to Asgardian science and technology.

In order for the Marvel movies to confirm or deny the existance of "magic", we must first agree on what Marvel even means by that word (as far as the MCU is concerned). Is there a working definition we can irrefutably point to?